What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » 3D Glasses

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
3D Glasses
Author: Message:
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: 3D Glasses
what about these: http://www.chromatek.com/ ?
or are they the same as already posted? i dunno cuz i dunno how they work...

yay: 1000 posts :o):o):o)

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 08:53 PM by Supersonicdarky.
01-30-2006 08:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: 3D Glasses
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
what about these: http://www.chromatek.com/ ?
or are they the same as already posted? i dunno cuz i dunno how they work...
It's the same, but different...

Instead of filtering on specific colors, they "filter" based on chroma-key and the particular defraction of each color wavelength instead of simply filtering out colors (though, color is also closely related to chroma-key). Principle is the same though: both eyes see a slightly different picture... Hence: the same, but different :p

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i dunno how they work...

Such 3D images are composed of actually 2 images and each image is draw in either red or green (or whatever other two opposite colors; often blue is used instead of green).

The two images (each in their own color) are almost the same but slithly shifted compared to eachother. The more the shift, the more the shifted object is viewed deeper/closer.

The glasses filter out one set of colors. So your left eye will only see one colored image (eg: the red one) and the right eye will only see the other colored image (eg: the green one).

And because they were shifted, compared to eachother, your brain will interpret this as depth. The color you'll see in the final image (in your brain) is a mixture of the two colors on paper (and depends on what eye is the strongest; each human has a strong eye and a weak eye).

(the electronical hardware versions of this work more or less on the same principle)

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 09:30 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2006 09:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: 3D Glasses
Of course , now I get it.  Didn't think about a transparent color isn't necessarily a filter itself, but just a transparent color(you know it's possible to print transparent colors?)

Have to buy some special color filter sheets then.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
01-30-2006 09:11 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: 3D Glasses
quote:
Originally posted by QtanJ
Of course , now I get it.  Didn't think about a transparent color isn't necessarily a filter itself, but just a transparent color(you know it's possible to print transparent colors?)
Actually, you understand it wrongly though.

It is impossible to print a transparant color.

This is because you use inkt, this is not a translucent material; the inkt drop will cover the area entirly and will not let any light thru. The "transparent effect" (note the quotes) comes only from the fact that not everything in the area is covered by a inkt drop. Blown up a printed red square looks like:
X    X    X    X    X
   X    X    X    X    X
X    X    X    X    X
   X    X    X    X    X
(where X is a miniscul red inkt droplet. The rest is just the unprinted paper (or transparant sheet). The inkt also lays on top of the paper, it isn't the paper itself).

Hence this red square will not filter out the red color. Any color will simply pass where there is no inkt drop and will simply be blocked where there is a inkt drop. The red color you see when you look at the red square comes from the light that falls on the red ink drop and which is reflected (hence the color of the inkt is red as only red is reflected and the rest is absorbed).

A filter is something entirly different, it is a true transparant sheet which is entirly made out of a certain color. There are no dots of inkt on there; the entire sheet is the same transparant color:
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Hence you will never be able to print color filters.

quote:
Or find some colored plastic sheet to experiment with (eg: green bottles, red plastic cover of some toy, etc). It will not be a thru calibrated color filter also, but will come very close. Of course, you'll need to adjust your paintings to the colors of the plastic.

------

PS: the dotted pattern produced with printing will also defract and defusse the light; the light shined thru will be blurry, while if it is passed thru a true filter, it does not diffuse, it stays equaly sharp.

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 09:28 PM by CookieRevised.
01-30-2006 09:19 PM
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: 3D Glasses
You automaticly assumed I've got a ink printer. You've got that right but if I didn't tell what sort of printer I had I could have used a laser printer. The next thing to say is to assume I can't get the transparent effect(without quotes since it's the real transparent effect i'm talking about) with the laser printer either. Then the only thing to do is to buy light filters or to stop thinking about making 3D glasses(hopefully I stop think about the 3D glasses)
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
01-30-2006 09:44 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: 3D Glasses
quote:
You automaticly assumed I've got a ink printer. You've got that right but if I didn't tell what sort of printer I had I could have used a laser printer.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
...because you use inkt (or toner, whatever). Inkt, or any other stuff they suggest (like crayons or coloring, etc) are not color filters and as such will not work decently or will even not work at all.

--------------------------------

quote:
Then the only thing to do is to buy light filters or to stop thinking about making 3D glasses(hopefully I stop think about the 3D glasses)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Or find some colored plastic sheet to experiment with (eg: green bottles, red plastic cover of some toy, etc). It will not be a thru calibrated color filter also, but will come very close. Of course, you'll need to adjust your paintings to the colors of the plastic.

EDIT: and as a last tip: you can get professional true filters for free in the form of "swatch books" (small handy booklets containing all available filters from a company; though small, they are big enough to use as filter for such 3d glasses). If interested I'll PM you the instructions to order such swatch book. I wont post this in public, as this is actually meant for professional (theater/tv-)technicians and if too many people order this "just for fun", they might stop this service.

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 10:13 PM by CookieRevised.
01-30-2006 09:50 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: