What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » 3D Glasses

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
3D Glasses
Author: Message:
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
O.P. 3D Glasses
I wondered if I wanted to buy some 3D glasses. I think this is a bit expensive, but it is much better than this cheap one?  I know it's good that it doesn't require that you look at your monitor, but is it a better feeling using the expensive one rather than the cheap one? If the expensive one is much better I'll rather wait than buying a cheap one which uses color filter technology.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
01-30-2006 05:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: 3D Glasses
I don't think it would be a good idea to buy them at all to be honest, a complete and utter waste of money. The novelty will wear off, and I doubt there's much compatible software for it anyways.

Bah, but it will most probably be the more expensive ones that are better.

(I think it would be a big mistake).
01-30-2006 05:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
fishybobbins

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't think it would be a good idea to buy them at all to be honest, a complete and utter waste of money. The novelty will wear off, and I doubt there's much compatible software for it anyways.

Probably wouldn't be too good for your eyesight either.
[Image: fishybobbins]
[Image: ds.gif]
01-30-2006 06:00 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
I wouldn't think they would improve your Gaming/PC Exprience a lot at all. I'd stick with Stiggy's glasses is I were you.

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 06:12 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
01-30-2006 06:09 PM
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: 3D Glasses
You're probably right, maybe the only "good" use of the expensive one is when i'm travelling alone over bigger distances. I've heard rumors of good software to the cheap one. The cheap one comes with software that makes many 2D games and 2D movies 3D in a good way. Far Cry and Half Life 2 is two of the games i've heard became much better in 3D.

[Ironically]When do I need a good eyesight?[/Ironically]

Before I decide anyway I'll try making my own to find out if it's worth it(which I doubt)
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
01-30-2006 06:09 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: 3D Glasses
quote:
Originally posted by QtanJ
Before I decide anyway I'll try making my own to find out if it's worth it(which I doubt)
You can not make your own 3D glasses as the ones you want to buy...

There are 2 major categories of 3D simulation glasses:

1) The ones shown by Stigmata here (and the only types you could make yourself, if you have the absolute correct color filters!)

EDIT: since Stigmata deleted his post:
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
i got mine on the cheap,
http://www.assistpoint.co.uk/Images/3D_Glasses/3d...nses_with_arms.jpg

Kids! Make your own

These will only work with special made up pictures. You also can't see much color (if not none at all) with these as they actually work by filtering out de reds and the greens or the blues. The glasses are not universal; Each (own made) glasses are only useable for a specific set of colors, depending on exactly what colorfilter you've used.

2) Hardware 3D glasses which actually consist of 2 tiny displays.

These work by showing 2 slightly different pictures on each display (thus left and right). Viewing colors with these is possible.

3) see Fluffy_Lobster's addition

---

All methods require very specialized drivers and very specially adapted software. 3D glasses simply will not work if the game/program does not support them!

To make your own 3D glasses type 1, you need the exact color filters, any other even slithly different filter will cause the 3D effect to totally fail. For this kind of use, programs and pictures in magazines etc use a specific color to draw the pictures and many magazines, pictures, etc use different ones. So, the chance that the 3D glasses you got from a magazine, will not work with another picture from another magazine, is extremely high.

---------------------

Follow the advise posted before: do not waste money on such things, unless you swim in money and have absolutely no clue what to do with it. If useable at all, they (type 2) will only be usefull for 1 specific program/game....

---------------------

EDIT @ Traxor: I fail to see the joke in a question like that in the way it was asked and being asked in TechTalk though...

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 08:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2006 06:53 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Cookie, it was a joke.
01-30-2006 06:56 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Erm, actually cookie there are three :P

In places like imaxes, where 3d glasses are probably the most commonplace, the 3d glasses have "lenses" made out of pieces of polarising plastic, with their polarities arranged perpendicularly. The projection then consists of two images made up of light of perpendicular polarity, resulting in each eye seeing only one of the images, though both being in full colour.

8-|
01-30-2006 08:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: 3D Glasses
I tought about making the filter glasses to find out if it were better experience than with only a ordinary monitor. The cost of the 3D filter glasses is very small(if I make it myself) and if I use my printer and a transparent sheet I'm pretty sure I'll get the right color, at least if I define the color myself.

If I use one program to make the 3d more realistic then it'll work on every game(that's supported)

I'm going to use Nvidia 3D Stereo.

For bf1942 on a scale from 1 to 5 the stereo value rating for is 1, the compability is 3 so I guess I can try bf1942 in more realistic 3D.

The only joke I meant as a joke was in the [Ironically] tag.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
01-30-2006 08:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: 3D Glasses
quote:
Originally posted by QtanJ
The cost of the 3D filter glasses is very small(if I make it myself) and if I use my printer and a transparent sheet I'm pretty sure I'll get the right color, at least if I define the color myself.
That will not be a color filter...

A color filter filters out wavelengths of color. What you will have when printing color on a transparent sheet of paper is nothing more than a colored (untransparant) box, this is not a color filter at all.

A color filter lets light with another wavelength thru (eg: a red color filter will filter out (aka reflect) the red, but more importantly for this: it will let other wavelengths pass).

What your sheet will do instead is blocking/absorbing all wavelengths (except for the red which is reflected), because you use inkt (or toner, whatever). Inkt, or any other stuff they suggest (like crayons or coloring, etc) are not color filters and as such will not work decently or will even not work at all.

-----------

Fluffy, yep correct, thanks, I've added it

(though, I bet there are some more 3D type of glasses though, but all work on some same principle as listed in the 2 3 types I guess)

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 08:58 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2006 08:49 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: