What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?

How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?
quote:
Originally posted by XZAVER
Not to doubt what you're saying but im curious where you see this specific model keyboard listed in any of those articles
I did not say the KU9978 model was listed in those articles! I simply said the problem of those malfunctioning leds like those mail and sleep indicators is known in certain cases with certain drivers on certain OSs. And I gave those links to those articles as an example to that.

quote:
...or the epidemiology of how those articles where found for that matter ?
Search on the support site with the proper keywords.

quote:
Also and most notably.....
It would also seem each of these articles only have software and drivers compatible with windows 98, nothing there is for 2000 or XP.
The description for these articles are also incredibly vague and ambiguous.

Here is says, "This resolves the issue where the LED light did not turn on over the envelope symbol on the affected Presario models when the customer had new mail."

What does "Had" mean ?

And lets be frank what is this supposed to mean ?

New mail globally ? New mail with outlook ? New mail with the yahoo my presario ?

I mean, are these articles even written in english ?
They are written in perfect English. And although not extremely detailed, the description of the problem is clear.

There are two ways in how those leds can function. Either the keyboard driver (or rather part of its supporting software) checks the Windows' newmail registry setting (and lites up that led if it has changed/has a value bigger than 0), or you need to configure a dedicated email monitoring program provided by HP (which came with the keyboard driver/config tool) to activly check your email (much like Windows Live Messenger and/or Messenger Plus! checks for new email).

In the first case the functionality depends on your own email software (outlook, thunderbird, Windows Mail, whatever you use...) and its ability to update that Windows registry key setting. If they fail to properly update that registry key, then the keyboard driver/mailcheck tool/whatever wont detect anything and thus wont lit up that led.

In the second case you need to configure a dedicated monitoring program for HP (usually this comes in the form of additional software/config tool which you can install or which is installed automatically when you install the drivers). In that monitoring program you define what mail server to check. Many other brands use this method to show a 'new email'-toast on the user's PC, so it would be no surprise that this is how HP does it too (provided you install the _proper_ drivers and software).

Also note that you can always contact HP too with your questions.

This post was edited on 06-01-2011 at 06:44 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-01-2011 06:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by prashker on 01-31-2006 at 08:44 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 08:46 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by prashker on 01-31-2006 at 08:47 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 08:54 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by prashker on 01-31-2006 at 09:02 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by Reaper on 02-01-2006 at 10:59 AM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by markee on 02-01-2006 at 11:53 AM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by rav0 on 02-02-2006 at 10:14 AM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by DJeX on 02-02-2006 at 08:07 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by Voldemort on 02-03-2006 at 01:23 AM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by surfichris on 02-03-2006 at 01:42 AM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by Voldemort on 02-03-2006 at 02:06 AM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by XZAVER on 06-01-2011 at 04:01 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by CookieRevised on 06-01-2011 at 05:29 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by XZAVER on 06-01-2011 at 06:09 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by matty on 06-01-2011 at 06:12 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by CookieRevised on 06-01-2011 at 06:35 PM
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - by XZAVER on 06-01-2011 at 09:04 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: