What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Another RAM problem

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Another RAM problem
Author: Message:
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
RE: Another RAM problem
quote:
Memory
1. Type: DDR 400 / 333 / 266 support
2. Max capacity: 2 GB
3. DIMM slots: 3

Which DIMM slot are you putting the 1GB stick in? Always start with the slot closest to the CPU and go from there.

Also, I would try the memory in another PC of similar specs. as yours. If it works fine in another PC then its your motherboard. If it doesn't work, well... then its the RAM.

Also, your current BIOS might not support 1GB sticks. Try installing a new BIOS (be careful, 'cause you can feck up your mobo if you don't do it right). If all else fails, give Gigabyte a call and see if they have any ideas or support.

If you do update your BIOS, see if it says anything about additional RAM sizes in the release notes. If there is no mention of it support 1GB sticks, you might want to return it for a 2 sticks of 512MB DDR400, and then replace those 2x256MB with a stick of 512...

*EDIT
The specs of your board says that it supports 2GB of RAM... Then that means that it DOES support 1GB sticks... which is odd... because you can't make 2GB with 3 sticks of less than 1GB... Might I suggest calling Gigabyte, see if it supports HD ram

This post was edited on 02-13-2006 at 10:16 PM by Ghost_Stalker.
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-13-2006 10:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Another RAM problem
well my mobo is about a month old so i know that the BIOS can support 1Gb of RAM. i put it in the 1st slot, but i tried all the others.
why would it show a power error though?
02-13-2006 11:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
Not sure. unless your motherboard doesn't support HD RAM. I'd look for a BIOS update, and try the RAM in another PC
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-13-2006 11:41 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
well, surely, if its a new mobo, it can support HD ram. or doesnt it work like that?
02-13-2006 11:45 PM
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
Not always. Some models don't support all features. When I was looking at the specs, I didn't see anything about HD Ram. Give Gigabyte a call and inquire. Doesn't hurt to ask!
02-13-2006 11:46 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
i will email them. hopefully ill get a reply by tomorrow and ill let you know :P

[Edit] thats just great. it cant support HD RAM :@

This post was edited on 02-14-2006 at 11:26 AM by Reaper.
02-13-2006 11:47 PM
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
That really sucks man, Hopefully you can exchange it for a regular stick of RAM, 'cause having 1024MB is sweet, but having more is better!
02-14-2006 02:42 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
im selling it on ebay, hopefully i can get my money back. then i will prob buy 2x512. thanks anwyay
02-14-2006 02:45 PM
Ghost_Stalker

40 / Male / –
I'd try and get a stick of 1GB, then you can use your 2 sticks of 256 in conjunction with it and have 1.5GB of Ram, instead of 1GB
02-14-2006 02:49 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
yeh, i already made athread bout that. my 256's are pc2100. its better to have a fast 1gb than a slow 1.5gb
02-14-2006 02:51 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: