What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » DVD-RW burner help

DVD-RW burner help
Author: Message:
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. DVD-RW burner help
i have an issue with my dvd burner in which i need help with.  my computer recognises it as a DVD-RW drive but it cannot create/read dvd images when im burning something. while it is creating the image it say that reading the disk failed. it also has problems reading dvds (ex. when i put a dvd in it reads it as a cd) i hav installed nero 6 suite and installed it again when it wasnt working but it just wont fix the problems. i have checked on the manufacturers site and the drivers i found where only for  windows 98 because "...Windows ME/2000/XP do not require any drivers, as they will install the USB Adapter Cable's driver automatically...". My dvd burner is a Dual Layer Liteonit SHW-1635s.

any quick help and help in general would be appreciated as i am really desperate
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-14-2006 07:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
RE: DVD-RW burner help
quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
i have an issue with my dvd burner in which i need help with.  my computer recognises it as a DVD-RW drive but it cannot create/read dvd images when im burning something. while it is creating the image it say that reading the disk failed. it also has problems reading dvds (ex. when i put a dvd in it reads it as a cd) i hav installed nero 6 suite and installed it again when it wasnt working but it just wont fix the problems. i have checked on the manufacturers site and the drivers i found where only for  windows 98 because "...Windows ME/2000/XP do not require any drivers, as they will install the USB Adapter Cable's driver automatically...". My dvd burner is a Dual Layer Liteonit SHW-1635s.

any quick help and help in general would be appreciated as i am really desperate

You are using it in a 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure right? 'cause thats what it sounds like. What kinda PC are you using with said DVD burner? Is it a notebook, or a desktop? Also what operating system are you using? It might not be the software on your PC, but the enclosure itself. If its a desktop PC, I'd try and put the burner into the PC and connect it to the motherboard (if it is a desktop, why not do that anyway). If you get the same results, then I'd say its a defective drive. If it works properly, then its your External USB enclosure!

I also looked here: http://tdb.rpc1.org/ for a firmware upgrade for the burner, but there isn't one. This is a great site to download official and even beta firmwares for various optical drives!
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-14-2006 02:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: DVD-RW burner help
its an internal desktop pc burner, im using xp sp2
02-15-2006 05:02 AM
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
its an internal desktop pc burner, im using xp sp2

So its inside your PC then? If thats the case, I'd try a different IDE cable. Make sure its an 80-pin cable though (80-wire, whatever). The cable is going to have small bumps on it, as opposed to the 40-wire IDE cables which have large bumps
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-15-2006 05:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
Uninstall -> Restart -> Reinstall
Also check on device manager -> IDE Atapi Controllers -> Double click on Primary or Secundary Channel (depending where is connected) -> Advanced Settings -> Check the device is on DMA mode and not in PIO.
If it is in PIO change to DMA, and if it is already in DMA but it says on the status PIO, change to PIO and then back to DMA. Restart PC.
02-15-2006 07:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
wat should i uninstall?
02-18-2006 02:02 AM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
DVDRW drive
02-18-2006 07:00 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
can you please explain how? im not very good at this. if u mean Nero then i hav already tried this

This post was edited on 02-18-2006 at 11:21 PM by Th3rmal.
02-18-2006 11:21 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
shouldnt need to uninstall an reinstall a DvDRW just to fix this, have you looked on the liteonit website at troubleshooting?
02-18-2006 11:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
Well probably there's an error in the recognition of the drive, what I was trying to say is to uninstall the drivers and files from Windows Device Manager, so Windows (when it reboots) 'FINDS A NEW HARDWARE' and installs again detects the drive and reinstalls the files.i I think it could work.
02-19-2006 08:14 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: