What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » accessing encrypted file

accessing encrypted file
Author: Message:
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  accessing encrypted file
Ok, here's the 411 yo!

At work, I had to encrypt my email archive file. Then, my work PC crapped out on me. I backed up the important files (my bookmarks, StrongBad Sings MP3's and pictures) and also my email and archive file. Which remained encrypted.

I had my PC rebuilt today and restored all my files. Had some trouble because the Lotus Notes directory wasn't the same as when I made the backup. I placed the encrypted archive file in the NEW notes directory. I pointed Lotus notes in the to the correct file. But it won't let me access it. Tells me that access is denied. When I look at the "owner" of the file, it's me (has the right computer and login ID for the file as my workstation).

My question is this:

Is there any way for me to disable the Windows encryption on the file so that I can access it? Or somehow change or set it up so that it is linked correctly to me. I'm using Windows XP SP1, and its Lotus Notes 6.5 (I work for IBM which is why I'm using Notes)

UPDATE
I've tried creating the origional folder locations and restoring the file, but it won't work.

This post was edited on 02-28-2006 at 10:56 PM by Ghost_Stalker.
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
02-28-2006 08:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: accessing encrypted file
When your PC failed, was it SP2? If so, upgrade to SP2 and try again: there may be crypto libraries you're missing.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
03-01-2006 01:50 PM
Ghost_Stalker

I will eat your unhappiness!

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: accessing encrypted file
no, I've never had PS2 installed. It, however, didn't have all the updates... which it should now
.:. \"Of course I thought it was a terrorist threat.\" - MacArthur Airport worker Kimberley Edwards describing a suspecious device flagged by x-ray inspectors that caused the west wing of the Long Island airport to be evacuated  It was an XBox 360 .:.
03-01-2006 02:05 PM
Adeptus

RE: accessing encrypted file
Ghost_Stalker,

I regret to be the one to tell you this, but unless you backed up your certificate (see here; note that a reformatted computer is another computer for all intents and purposes), there is nothing you can do about it now.  That, after all, is the whole point of encryption.  :)

The only exception would be if your computer was a member of an Active Directory domain -- in that case, your domain administrator may be able recover the file.  Otherwise, the fat lady has sung.
03-01-2006 06:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: