What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ipod problems

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
ipod problems
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. ipod problems
i have about 2200 songs on my ipid (before u ask, no i havent backed em up, i know, i should of, but i havent)

thing is. recently, its been playing up. jus freezing, so i had to press menu and the select buttin to restart it, but so far, thats been cool.

tonight i put sum new albums on it, seems to work fine, but after i put da last one on, it had a problem disconnecting, so i shut my pc down (i have it manual mode btw) and done it that way. i have a look at my songs and they're all gone :| so i went to music test on games, no luck, restart ipod, no luck. restart my pc, and while its loading up, says on my settings ,taht i have 11.7GB (i have a 3rdG 20GB btw) remaining, so it must still have the songs on it.

plug it in da pc, thort, i'll take da songs off by going into ipod control, reinstall software, and put em on again. heres da fucked up thing. it had 50 files of F01, F02, F03, etc. like normal, but no songs in them :O

but it still says that theres 11.7GB left. i unplugged it and went onto ipod diagionotistcs, dun a HDD TEST, said HDD PASS but wen its donig something, if i listen closly, u can hear it starting to spin, but it cant be arsedm, ova and ova, like trying to start a car engine. goes up up UP UP, THEN it goes DOwnnnnnn and cant be arsed again.

i have no idea, what the fuck is happening.

any idea's?

ps. iTunes doesnt recognise the ipod too, the pc does, but not acctual itunes.

This post was edited on 03-01-2006 at 04:14 AM by MC Inferno.
03-01-2006 04:12 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: ipod problems
So did you have a look in the hidden folders on the iPod to make sure that there isn't any music?  I think that's what you meant by the F01, etc.  If there is music on it there are programs that you can find on the net to get the music off so that you can back it up (I keep a copy of the music either on my PC or disk just in case).  If this doesn't help I really don't know how you can get the music back.

Once you have the music back you can just use the iPod updater to reset it all and iTunes should recognise it again but DO NOT do this before you get your music off or it will wipe it for good.

Hope it works out for you.
[Image: markee.png]
03-01-2006 04:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Sounds like the harddrive is dead again. When you open properties in My computer for the iPod does it say the same usage statistics?

Tomorrow if you send me a message I will send you the program I made to backup the data from it. Can't guarantee it will work since there is no "music" on the iPod but the 50 found files.

This post was edited on 03-01-2006 at 04:24 AM by matty.
03-01-2006 04:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: ipod problems
ye the hidden folders is what's im on about ye. i mean i would give up by now but it must be on there if it still says thats theres 11.8 GB left you know?

can ayone help me find a program that does this well, if i can get the music off it, i'll be laughin

(PS. ive been thinknig of sending this back to apple anyways, i have two sub-questions.

1. my garantee started in Jan '05. i got it replaces for free by apple in June '05, does that mean, i have a new garantee till Jue '06 or am i two months late now?

2. if they do replace it again, will i get a brand new colour one? ;) cioz i know they dont make da black and white ones no more

This post was edited on 03-01-2006 at 04:31 AM by MC Inferno.
03-01-2006 04:23 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
can ayone help me find these programs, if i can get the music off it, i'll be laughin

You should know I would know the answer to that :P

iPod Agent or PodPlus : But like I said in my previous post if there is nothing inside of them its not going to work.

quote:
1. my garantee started in Jan '05. i got it replaces for free by apple in June '05, does that mean, i have a new garantee till Jue '06 or am i two months late now?

I think its only 90 days from when you receive it not a new 1 year warranty.

quote:
2. if they do replace it again, will i get a brand new colour one? (Smilie) cioz i know they dont make da black and white ones no more
Chances are yes but thats Apples Decision.

This post was edited on 03-01-2006 at 04:31 AM by matty.
03-01-2006 04:26 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
my bad matty, only jus read ur post. its funny u say about the hard drive being dead, as soon as i read ur thing, i put my ipod back onto the pc and a thing came up saying:

"the file or directory \ipod_control\itunes\itunesDB is corrupt and unreadable. please run the Chkdsk utility."

im fucked aint i? :'(
03-01-2006 04:31 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
"the file or directory \ipod_control\itunes\itunesDB is corrupt and unreadable. please run the Chkdsk utility."
Nope simply fix.

Start > run > cmd {enter}

type chkdsk /f /r %driveletter%:

Just open my computer and find the drive letter of the iPod. Your commandline should look like the following.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=611443]

The reason it happened is the sector where the iTunesDB (iTunes Database) file is stored on the hdd is corrupted. What the check disk will do is fix the sector and if it cant move the file and mark the sector as bad so no data is written to it.

The checkdisk will take 30mins to run on a 20gb iPod. Make sure you have time

.png File Attachment: chkdsk.png (4.91 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1583 time(s).

This post was edited on 03-01-2006 at 04:36 AM by matty.
03-01-2006 04:34 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file :\\Ipod_control. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

this came up out of nowhere, jus before i read ur post

assuming ive still got a chance, and that my ipod drive letter is J, what should i type into MS-Dos?
03-01-2006 04:39 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
chkdsk /f /r j:

Just like I posted from the image. 99.999999% chances are all data is lost.
03-01-2006 04:42 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
i tried that it said: "cannot open volume for direct access"?

im fucked aint i?

This post was edited on 03-01-2006 at 04:58 AM by MC Inferno.
03-01-2006 04:46 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: