What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Format C:/ Drive

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Format C:/ Drive
Author: Message:
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
O.P. RE: Format C:/ Drive
Haha, Yes I already have backed up everything I want.  My pictures, my chatlogs and some other text files.

Is there any other way to delete everything without deleting windows XP.  fast simple way?

Just wondering.  I don't feel like calling Microsoft. 8-)
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
03-07-2006 08:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Format C:/ Drive
Selecting everything you want to delete and press Delete :P

Other than that, there's no way to delete everything from your hard drive without losing windows.

Unless your windows is installed on another partition than your files.
[Image: 1-0.png]

03-07-2006 08:44 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

If you are not having any problems with your Windows installation, you might want to just clean it up instead of formatting -- uninstall programs and delete files you don't want. 

A format and fresh Windows install is not a bad idea, but could end up more involved than you've been led to believe. :P
03-07-2006 09:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I don't feel like calling Microsoft
Then, once reinstalled, install network card drivers, and register over the 'Net.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
03-07-2006 09:01 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Selecting everything you want to delete and press Delete
this won't remove everything as registry keys and such can remain that way and you can remove programs or maps you shouldn't delete.
03-07-2006 09:03 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
The format should be quick (as long as you choose quick format :o).

Installing Windows will take less than an hour, but a few times during the installation, it will stop and need feedback from you, so you can't start it and then go out.

Windows will need to be activated, but this can be done over the internet. There is also aa phone service, you call the free number that the computer tells you, you type the challenge code into your phone, and then type the response from the phone service into your computer. If there is a problem (never happened to me, though it should have :-#), you will have to speak to a person. The automated service will ask you whether it worked, if it didn't, you can be transferred to a person. Alternatively, just crack Windows (Y).
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
03-08-2006 05:38 AM
Curtis

31 / Male / Flag
When you reformat partition your harddrive into multiple drives (eg. C:\ , D:\ , E:\ , etc.)  My dad says your computer will run faster if you do that for some reason.
03-08-2006 05:59 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Format C:/ Drive
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis
When you reformat partition your harddrive into multiple drives (eg. C:\ , D:\ , E:\ , etc.)  My dad says your computer will run faster if you do that for some reason.
Not necessarily, and only if you know what your doing.

Purity was (is?) uncertain about formatting, so she shouldn't bother with it, and you both are using incorrect terminology.

You dad is certainly correct, multiple partitions can be engineered to boost PC performance, but if you know what you're doing ;).
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
03-08-2006 07:44 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Multiple partitions are more useful when you want to separate data from programs. That way, you can reformat without losing work.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
03-08-2006 03:29 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Format C:/ Drive
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
You dad is certainly correct, multiple partitions can be engineered to boost PC performance, but if you know what you're doing ;).
Though it is not because you make multiple (and thus smaller) partitions that your PC will run "faster"...

Aka: it is not the act and result of making partitions that will (slightly!) boost Windows performance. It is the manner in how you use the partitions that's important. Just dividing your 200GB big harddrive into some partitions will not make Windows run any faster at all.

----------

The reason behind partitionating is so indexing tools, backup tools, etc will need less time to perform their task (on 1 partition)... They will still take the same amount of time when you do a full backup of all partitions of course. Though, such tasks are executed so seldom that performance increase is neglectable, and even then the performance increase would be small compared to everyday use.

The reason that some people might tell you: "because then you can have the windows swapfile on a different partition and thus will make Windows run faster" is mostly BS also. This would only be true when those "partitions" are actually physically different drives, so both the harddisks can work at the same time. When you simply have 1 physical HD, there are only 1 set of HD's heads which can only do 1 thing at a time, partitions or not.

The only valid reason (IMO) to give is because of the file system fragmenting problem. When you divide a HD into several partitions (and you use those partitions of course) fragmenting on 1 specific partition will be relativly less compared to the whole drive when you didn't partitionate. Fragmenting can cause Windows performance decrease big enough to notice, hence why you should regulary defragment your HD (or partition).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-09-2006 01:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: