What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » I think we should have a new sticky..

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
I think we should have a new sticky..
Author: Message:
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: I think we should have a new sticky..
I like the idea of having a big banner at the top of the mainpage, and perhaps pages through the registration process it may take away about 50% of the n00bs from posting straight off. 

Well hopefully I remember how bad it got with Plus 3! towards release dates, when mess and neowin start talking about pre releases etc.

* Wabz just prays we don't see the nasty server load screen this time
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
03-18-2006 09:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
what do you think WDZ, wanna get rid of half the useless spam thats happining these days?

My EMS incase you want to see how i layed it out
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6653 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes, 35 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
03-18-2006 11:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky..
quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
Yeah i dont think anyone would read them neways. although then we can just copy a link to that sticky each time someone starts a thread about it.
That's the idea...

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
No, linking to a central topic would be better. Because when new info comes available you can simply update the topic.
Indeed. So even if people make a new thread with the questions and there is a reply with a link to the sticky, other people can easly find the new info also...

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
What about a post on the website?
The website isn't read by people who come visiting here. Most people come from google or something, not from the website (I think)...

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
they don't look at threads, most noobies, just go to a forum whos title seems semi-appropriate, and then go striaght to the new thread button

just a sticky will not make anybody but us see it, if threads made a difference, all the noobs would be seeing other noob thread and posting in those ones
Tbh, if everybody thinks like that, this forum would be one big chaos.

Not to mention why do mods/admins/patchou/etc make stickies in the first place then? Why are there half-stickies...

Be sure that sticky thread ARE read by many people (and that includes new people). Of course not everybody (as in 100%) will read them, but if they prevent 1 out of 10 new threads, than they are usefull..

If every forum and its members think like that then of course nobody will get used to the term "sticky" and "important posts" and more and more people will think that posting duplicated threads is normal and the thing todo...

PS: And why do you think many people ask the same question over and over again. It is not only because they don't bother to search, but the factor of constantly useless threads pushing down the interesting threads in the latest post pages is also a big factor; Everything is connected with eachother.

-------------

There is no reason what-so-ever to not make a sticky thread about this and update it regulary (or when new info becomes available).

This post was edited on 03-19-2006 at 12:50 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-19-2006 12:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:
they don't look at threads, most noobies, just go to a forum whos title seems semi-appropriate, and then go striaght to the new thread button

just a sticky will not make anybody but us see it, if threads made a difference, all the noobs would be seeing other noob thread and posting in those ones

Tbh, if everybody thinks like that, this forum would be one big chaos.

Not to mention why do mods/admins/patchou/etc make stickies in the first place then? Why are there half-stickies...

Be sure that sticky thread ARE read by many people (and that includes new people). Of course not everybody (as in 100%) will read them, but if they prevent 1 out of 10 new threads, than they are usefull..

If every forum and its members think like that then of course nobody will get used to the term "sticky" and "important posts".

PS: And why do you think many people ask the same question over and over again. It is not only because they don't bother to search, but the factor of constantly useless threads pushing down the interesting threads in the latest post pages is also a big factor; Everything is connected with eachother.
your forgeting, we're not talking about everybody, we're talking about people that don't search, don't read other posts, and just go striaght to posting a new thread and asking for it, stickys won't make a difference, because if they went to the proper forum, were the sticky would be located, there is most likly already another thread there asking for plus!live, if they don't read that thread, what make you so sure they would read a sticky
Need hosting? Check
03-19-2006 12:54 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There is no reason what-so-ever to not make a sticky thread about this and update it regulary (or when new info becomes available).

I think Cookie makes a point there, no one looses anything at doing this. Updating it a few times when dates are available or whatever will not hurt anyone. It will only make it easier for members to link newbies to a well documented page.

I'm up for that idea. (Y)
03-19-2006 12:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
simsgenius

because the people who ask that question don't read a thing and just come marching in asking and wait for an answer cause they're too lazy to look.
03-19-2006 01:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky..
quote:
your forgeting, we're not talking about everybody, we're talking about people that don't search, don't read other posts, and just go striaght to posting a new thread and asking for it
We (at least I am) ARE talking about everybody.

The people you talk about are a minority, despite what you might think. And even if we are only talking for us, it would be also usefull for "us" only.

There are always people who don't search, but there are far less people who don't search AND don't look at a very first thread title AND don't read other threads AND just clicking on "New Thread".

As I said, if it saves 1 new thread out of every 10 new threads then it is worth while....

I seriously can not understand why you should not create such a sticky thread. There is no reason at all to not do it.

quote:
stickys won't make a difference, because if they went to the proper forum, were the sticky would be located, there is most likly already another thread there asking for plus!live, if they don't read that thread, what make you so sure they would read a sticky
I'm sure that not everybody is going to read it, and I also did not say or suggested that duplicated threads would be something from the past; they will always exist. But it isn't because 5 absolute n00bs don't read such a thread that nobody does.

People do not search because searching is an "art" so to speak, you wont always have result strait away, it takes time, etc. A sticky thread doesn't need to be searched...

Again, I really, really do not understand why a sticky should not be created and what is so bad about a sticky. It has nothing than advantages, there are no disadvantages at all ([sarcastic]other than maybe he/she who create it must actually make a new thread... whoooooo hard labor... we rather make spam threads...[/sarcastic])

quote:
Originally posted by simsgenius
because the people who ask that question don't read a thing and just come marching in asking and wait for an answer cause they're too lazy to look.
So? Again: what is the problem in having a sticky then? If everybody still comes marching in, you simply can link to the sticky.

Advantages:
- people have all the info at once (beta testers are choosen, is closed beta, release when finished, blahblah)
- no need for a thread with 10 posts and still not all the info. 1 reply and report the thread for closure, finished...
- you don't need to write anything in reply, just the link and "please read this" or "here is all the info you want"

In fact, a sticky means that you, as a helper, can be lazy and yet still helping people out...

---------------

And for those who claim that stickies don't work...

Take a look at when the "Blockcheckers do not work" thread was created and also look at its amount of views. Threads about blockcheckers dropped rapidly (of course from time to time people still make a thread of it, but that's to be expected, at least there aren't constantly threads about it anymore. Like it was before that sticky)...

Same with all the other existing stickies...

This post was edited on 03-19-2006 at 01:40 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-19-2006 01:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
i'm not saying don't make a sticky, i'm saying put a small message at the top of the forum, directing those to the sticky, so EVERYbody can find it, nice and quickly
Need hosting? Check
03-19-2006 01:55 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
I just posted a sticky thread about it, now if you think that something else should be added, please let me know :)
You can find the thread here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=57167

By the way, my opinion about stickies: It's just stupid that you dont want to have a sticky because "newbies wont read it". Then what are stickies for? Even if people dont read it, you can give them a link to the sticky and it will be easier for you :P.

I prefer a cticky thread rather than a banner or whatever you were talking about, because a banner will bother us, people who check the forums regularly, while a sticky thread will not :).
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
03-19-2006 03:35 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I just posted a sticky thread about it, now if you think that something else should be added, please let me know :)
You can find the thread here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=57167

By the way, my opinion about stickies: It's just stupid that you dont want to have a sticky because "newbies wont read it". Then what are stickies for? Even if people dont read it, you can give them a link to the sticky and it will be easier for you :P.

I prefer a cticky thread rather than a banner or whatever you were talking about, because a banner will bother us, people who check the forums regularly, while a sticky thread will not :).

i agree with the sticky, but i think a SMALL banner, like on the mybb community forum, saying, "For info on Messenger plus! and WLM compatablity, click here"

that would not annoy me, it those threads that annoy me
Need hosting? Check
03-19-2006 04:24 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend