What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Should internet have a digital I.D..

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Should internet have a digital I.D..
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Should internet have a digital I.D..
Poll: Should internet have a digital I.D.. read post

----

I see that many have voted for "no" in the poll about the internet ID.

I wonder how many truelly know what an digital internet ID is or how it could/will work.

Despite what Paperless let it seems, an digital internet ID is not a privacy invasion, and it is not a big-brother kind of thing.

For starters, a digital internet ID will not be used everywhere, only on a few selected places. There is no such thing as "that would identify anyone anywhere, like a forum, a game anything..." It simply doesn't work that way.

Saying
quote:
Originally posted by Paperless
Do you think Internet should have a digital I.D that would identify anyone anywhere, like a forum, a game anything... Imagine IP but in a more advanced way with even less privacy each person would have one so each person would need to be identified before using internet via some biometric reader.
gives a totally wrong picture of what a digital internet ID should be.

If it was like that, nobody, even goverments, would be in favor...

----

A digital internet ID pass is something certain people can use to be allowed on the internet, nothing more, nothing less. It does NOT reveal your ID at all. It is simply a pass. Think about parents who want to (rightfully) control the access of the internet for their little children.

Another way of use is that it is used on websites to login and to identify if you are a minor or not. Think about the chatrooms where pedophiles would lurk to hunt for minors (one of the major reasons why a digital internet ID is invented/in the makings/tested). A digital ID controlled chatroom would only allow minors on it for example. Again, there is no identity revealing at all; you would only know that there would not be any malicious adults lurking.

A digital internet ID will almost always only work as a more advanced and controlled way of logging in to something, just as you can log in into your own computer with a login name and password.

quote:
Originally posted by Paperless
Internet would be impossible to use without it (if no one hacked it..).
This is not true.

So far for the theory, as a digital internet ID pass is still being tested and not much used (though many people actually already have one)...

----

Hence why I think that poll is totally misguided and should at least have been an open poll where this can be discussed, because as it is now it totally misinforms people.

;)

This post was edited on 03-29-2006 at 12:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-29-2006 09:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
RE: Should internet have a digital I.D..
Now that you put it that way, Yes.

When i read the poll i thought "what a terrible idea" That would just take away your right of privacy..

But how would one, universal I.D per person work.. People could easily access thier parents I.D's, friends I.D's (provided they knew the password) and lie about thier age if they sign up for thier own without parental control..

This post was edited on 03-29-2006 at 11:02 AM by Pyroteq.
03-29-2006 11:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
But how would one, universal I.D per person work.. People could easily access thier parents I.D's, friends I.D's (provided they knew the password) and lie about thier age if they sign up for thier own without parental control..
the ID is a physical card with a chip on it, so it wouldn't be that easy to use as simply geussing a password :).
03-29-2006 11:10 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
I Didnt realise that, i actually dont know anything about it.
Dosnt that defeat the purpose of having a family computer with one physical chip containing the details when you have various family members?

(Or would this include multipule ID Signitures to log-in to?)
03-29-2006 11:12 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Should internet have a digital I.D..
quote:
I Didnt realise that, i actually dont know anything about it.
Reason why I started this thread because I think some others don't know what it exactly is either and voted on the wrong basis as Paperless gave the wrong impression/explanation of what it was.

quote:
Dosnt that defeat the purpose of having a family computer with one physical chip containing the details when you have various family members?
The chip isn't inside the computer. The chip is inside the plastic credit card sized pass. The computer reads out the insierted card.

The digital ID pass is like your normal pass or driving license. It works exactly the same as your bank card. Your bank card too contains your name, etc and you need that too to indentify you at a bank terminal. It is a way to indentify you as owning a bank account. Without the bank card you can't access your account on a bank terminal.

The digital internet ID is exactly the same. Each individual has one (or could have one, namely the children). Having a family computer is exactly what such passes could be used for for example; Parents can do whatever they want on the net. Children have only restricted access to the net (eg: no public or adult chatrooms).

Or vice versa, when you want access to some chatrooms you need to insert your internet ID card in the slot attached to your commputer. When the chatroom has verified that you are underage (or whatever) you can access it, still anonymously!

The digital internet ID isn't a login name and password, it is a physical plastic card, like your credit card.

----------

The internet ID card will make the internet a much safer place to be (mainly for children!!!) and does not mean you can't surf the net anonymously anymore.

This post was edited on 03-29-2006 at 11:38 AM by CookieRevised.
03-29-2006 11:31 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Well that sounds like a decent idea then.. I dont see if happening on a wide scale though.
I mean you could issue them with every new PC, but then people loose them and all.. Parents would want to be able to control the content of thier children (e.g: some parents might not mind their children viewing sites related to violence while others will)

Can you link me to a source for this idea.. so i can read more about it?

This post was edited on 03-29-2006 at 11:41 AM by Pyroteq.
03-29-2006 11:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Should internet have a digital I.D..
quote:
Well that sounds like a decent idea then.. I dont see if happening on a wide scale though.
Yeah, its something which will take a long while....

quote:
I mean you could issue them with every new PC,
No, they are issued per person. Probably by your local town hall or something.

quote:
Parents would want to be able to control the content of thier children (e.g: some parents might not mind their children viewing sites related to violence while others will)
That's only one possebility of the card. And those parent who don't mind, simply wouldn't install the "restrict access module" or whatever it is going to be.

The other main use of the card is to identify yourself (eg: as being minor or not) to some sites, so you would know for sure (as a minor) that you're talking to a minor.

Then there are a lot of other (smaller) uses to, think for example about signing documents or emails with your digital ID card so the recievers know it was you who wrote the document and it wasn't fake.

E-banking, E-goverment, etc... where you can use your ID card to sign in to. No need for those digital smartpasses, badges or whatever, etc.

Logging in to company networks, or even accessing building. No need for other passes any more, etc... only your electronical ID and your secret pin.

quote:
Can you link me to a source for this idea.. so i can read more about it?
Not directly as I have my info mostly from what I read in articles in magazines, newspapers, reviews and that sort of stuff... I need to google for an online source myself. I don't know the fine details of it either though.

Though I know Microsoft has done some experiments with such id's in Belgium (and maybe Holland).

Also note that this digital Internet ID is currently already being integrated in the new ID card's in some countries (like Belgium) whenever you need to renew your ID card. So this digital internet ID is actually integrated in your personal ID card (compare it to the driving license in the States). As soon as enough people have it, companies will start making software so it can be used.

[Image: identiteitskaart1401nbo.jpg]
The electronical version of an Belgian ID card

For children (as the ID is only for 18+ of course), a special minor-version will be made ... at least that's the plan... if enough people start using it that is...

This post was edited on 03-29-2006 at 12:52 PM by CookieRevised.
03-29-2006 12:21 PM
Fanta

<fun stuff goes here>

44 / Female / Flag
I think it's a brilliant idea to be honest. They can't implement it fast enough. Specially where it concerns children, I think much more should be done to make sure they can surf the net safely, without being too restricting as a parent, children still learn by being stimulated to explore, so it's well needed that they can explore in a safe way.

When you get older, you often don't realise how dangerous the net can be for ten year olds for example. When you were younger, you were easy to be tricked and influenced in doing things. Kids are taught to obey adults, but on the internet they can't see who to listen to or not. Of course the parents are responsible, but often the parents aren't that computer illiterate either. Does the child have to suffer because of that?  Thought so.

With an ID card, it'd be easier for parents and schools for example to restrict what the kids can see, or do. And hopefully it will be easier to educate parents about their responsibility if they don't have to have a fair amount of knowledge to protect their offspring on the internet, and less easy for the kid to bypass the restrictions placed upon them.

[Image: fantaclub7fz.gif]

03-29-2006 12:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.zero

Part of the official angry mob

31 / Male / –
Why? It sounds like a great idea to me. I hope it gets implemented and used.
03-29-2006 04:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
Sounds like it envolves having to buy a card reader :-/
I agree with time, it's a waste of money, and it could be really easly abused :-\
03-29-2006 04:58 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: