What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Goth? Read here.

Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
Goth? Read here.
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Goth? Read here.
I'm not goth myself. But I do listen to the music, have some goth friends... and been on a few goth parties.

"Goth" is all one big label to the outside, but there are actually a lot of people inside such groups who think totally different from eachother. Yes, there are those depressed fucks... but the most goths I know can be matched with that article for the most part...

"The values of the goth subculture are very high-brow," she said. "They tend to enjoy old poetry, books and the arts.
- Well, far from all are interested in that, but i know at least a few who do, yes

"It is a peaceful subculture - drugs and anti-social behaviour do not play a big part.
- They don't all drink and do drugs... I was in fact quite suprised how many people didn't drink alcohol at all on my first goth party :o

"Many parents worry because they think their children may be depressed or suicidal when they start wearing black but this is not usually the case.
- There are depressed and suicidal people everywhere these days. There certainly are quite a few in goth groups, but most I know are not depressed at all, but actually very happy fun people

"They tend to have a sarcastic sense of humour and be able to express their feelings.
- True (for most)

"Another worry is the fetish fashion of some goths, especially with the females. But my research shows that the girls are not overtly sexual.
- True I guess

"In fact, they are usually believers of love and romance, not one night stands."
- I don't think a goth lifestyle has much influence on that... overall they probably have just as much one night stands as "normal people"

"Most goths don't think of Marilyn Manson as being part of the subculture," she said.
- True

"But even though he and some goth bands do push the boundaries with their lyrics, these are not usually taken too seriously.
- A lot of goth lyrics are about celebrating death and such. There are people who think the lyrics are pretty important. But that doesn't mean they're gonna kill themselves... they're just not afraid of death.

"Goths are not satanists. They are usually intelligent youngsters who have rejected the idea that teenagers must fulfil certain criteria.
- Mostly true, but I’m sure there are satanic goths too... but just a very small group of them

"Many teenagers carry on being goths into their adult life, wearing toned-down clothes, having good jobs, a mortgage, a car and children."
- I don't know anyone who I could really call a goth above the age of like 30. I think they still like the music and maybe a bit of the clothing. But you won't recognize them on the street that quick as a goth person.

"They won't like me saying it, but their lifestyle, unlike the punk scene, is a middle-class subculture," she said.
- Some may not like it and love to be “dark weird persons”. But there are also a lot who are sick of being called Satanist or whatever else.

EDIT: Lol, and about the guys wearing makeup... there are really just a few of those... It's probably just because you notice those people way more... a lot of goth people actually look normal when you meet them on the streest, you won't notice them. And i agree... makeup is lame.

This post was edited on 04-06-2006 at 07:43 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-06-2006 07:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
twentytwo

Sure, because they look stupid and ugly ? :)
04-06-2006 07:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I was going to reply but MenthiX already said it all... don't think too much about stereotypes, all the goths I know are very nice and joyfull persons and they all dress a lot better than I do.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-06-2006 07:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by twentytwo
I don't respect men who wear makeup.. hell.. I barely respect woman who wear makeup!
I believe you have a very good chance of disrespecting quite a sizable portion of the community :p (im not refering to the msghelp community .... :dodgy:)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
04-06-2006 09:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
They are usually intelligent youngsters who have rejected the idea that teenagers must fulfil certain criteria.
thats so me! i wonder why i'm not a goth...
04-06-2006 11:24 AM
-Bogan-

35 / Male / –
Meh I only dislike emo's and there The world owes me view.

Goths in my opinion are ok even though it not my sort of crowd.

Hip hop mixing with goth I don't think so......
[Image: user-bogan.gif]
04-06-2006 11:43 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Im not goth either but i have been called it, i do listen to similar music and i have goth friends... All goths i know are really nice by the way.
And also.. true 'goth' music is electronica and trance not heavy metal as most people presume.

"Goth" is a stereotype of depression and stuff but thier really on the whole, the opposite.

"The values of the goth subculture are very high-brow," she said. "They tend to enjoy old poetry, books and the arts.
Most of them do..

"It is a peaceful subculture - drugs and anti-social behaviour do not play a big part.
True.

"Many parents worry because they think their children may be depressed or suicidal when they start wearing black but this is not usually the case.
Thats emo.

"They tend to have a sarcastic sense of humour and be able to express their feelings.
True

"Another worry is the fetish fashion of some goths, especially with the females. But my research shows that the girls are not overtly sexual.
True, kinda.

"In fact, they are usually believers of love and romance, not one night stands."
I think thats true aswell..

"Most goths don't think of Marilyn Manson as being part of the subculture," she said.
SO True.

"Goths are not satanists. They are usually intelligent youngsters who have rejected the idea that teenagers must fulfil certain criteria.

Satanists are very different from what the sterotype is.. That they worship the devil and are anti-god.. sacrafice animals etc... But thats Anti-Chris. Satanists belive that the devil is the true god, and god is actually a fake..

Guys wearing makeup is more emo than goth.
04-06-2006 12:20 PM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I dont like goths. When i look at them i feel sick, i dont know why. Maybe because its the way they dress or all the black on them. And some of them go on about killing them selfs and stuff its just disturbing.

This post was edited on 04-06-2006 at 12:23 PM by Discrate.
04-06-2006 12:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Its emos that go on about killing themselfs, Most goths are actually quite friendly and joyfull.
04-06-2006 12:35 PM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Well i know some goths that wanna kill them selfs.
04-06-2006 12:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: