What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » US people, please read

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
US people, please read
Author: Message:
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. US people, please read
as i've started taking live calls at work now, i'm actualy interested how meny people here:

-live in the US
-are insured for there mobile phone, using "asurion insurance services",
-and there wireless provider is Verizon

[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6658 days, 13 hours, 44 minutes, 20 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
04-07-2006 03:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: US people, please read
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
live in the US
quote:
are insured for there mobile phone, using "asurion insurance services",
Never heard of it.
quote:
and there wireless provider is Verizon
I use it.
04-07-2006 03:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: US people, please read
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:

live in the US

a ment if you meet all 3 of those things:P

btw you should ask verizon about asurion, it has pretty good coverage, including stupid mistakes like droping it, or putting it in the wash, a very common claim is droping it in the toilet. the only thing we don't cover is malfunctions, except if we sent you a phone, then that phone is covered from malfunctions for alimited time
Need hosting? Check
04-07-2006 04:18 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
umm....well, I use verizon and I live in the US, but no, i didnt get insurance for my phone, I think its pointless, if I make a simple mistake or accident with it and it breaks, ill buy a new one and learn from my mistakes.
04-07-2006 06:36 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
umm....well, I use verizon and I live in the US, but no, i didnt get insurance for my phone, I think its pointless, if I make a simple mistake or accident with it and it breaks, ill buy a new one and learn from my mistakes.
why pay full price when the insurance can replace it for a small decuctable
Need hosting? Check
04-07-2006 05:44 PM
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
stop trying to sell us insurance
04-07-2006 05:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
I have all three. I live in the US, Have Verizon, and my Phone is insured  through them.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
04-07-2006 05:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
stop trying to sell us insurance
lol we don't sell it, i'm just curious:P

quote:
Originally posted by wj
I have all three. I live in the US, Have Verizon, and my Phone is insured  through them.
:P, then you might be speaking to me when/if you file a claim
Need hosting? Check
04-07-2006 06:01 PM
Adeptus

quote:
I am afraid I have to agree with Dane on this one.  Don't take offense at this, I'm glad the phone replacement insurance has provided you with a job -- however, it is not a good product for the consumer.  Here's why:

When I have been offered this sort of insurance in past, the cost has varied between $4 and $8 per month.  If we take the average of that ($6) and multiply by 12, it means additional $72 spent over the course of one year.

Virtually all phones in U.S. are sold heavily subsidized, with a service contract.  For example, a $250 phone could cost $99, as long as you sign a contract for a year of service from a particular carrier.   Less expensive phones may be free after the contract subsidy. 

After the contract is over, you can do it again and get a new subsidized phone -- and you probably will want to do that anyway, because by then phones will be smaller, nicer and have more features.  At that point, a new phone will cost you practically the same as the amount you would have paid in insurance premiums and deductible, plus you get an upgrade.

The only situation where the insurance might pay off is if you manage to destroy your phone early on in the contract term, in which case you may have to pay full price for a replacement.  I think the chance of that happening is small and it's well worth taking the risk yourself and keeping your money.

Finally, I don't know about Verizon and Asurion, but it seems that in most cases, the insurance replacements are repaired / refurbished phones, often with serious problems.  I've heard quite a few horror stories about that.

So yeah.  It's not worth it.

This post was edited on 04-07-2006 at 06:26 PM by Adeptus.
04-07-2006 06:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
I am afraid I have to agree with Dane on this one.  Don't take offense at this, I'm glad the phone replacement insurance has provided you with a job -- however, it is not a good product for the consumer.  Here's why:

When I have been offered this sort of insurance in past, the cost has varied between $4 and $8 per month.  If we take the average of that ($6) and multiply by 12, it means additional $72 spent over the course of one year.

Virtually all phones in U.S. are sold heavily subsidized, with a service contract.  For example, a $250 phone could cost $99, as long as you sign a contract for a year of service from a particular carrier.   Less expensive phones may be free after the contract subsidy. 

After the contract is over, you can do it again and get a new subsidized phone -- and you probably will want to do that anyway, because by then phones will be smaller, nicer and have more features.  At that point, a new phone will cost you practically the same as the amount you would have paid in insurance premiums and deductible, plus you get an upgrade.

The only situation where the insurance might pay off is if you manage to destroy your phone early on in the contract term, in which case you may have to pay full price for a replacement.  I think the chance of that happening is small and it's well worth taking the risk yourself and keeping your money.

Finally, I don't know about Verizon and Asurion, but it seems that in most cases, the insurance replacements are repaired / refurbished phones, often with serious problems.  I've heard quite a few horror stories about that.

So yeah.  It's not worth it.

But if you've got a 2 year contract, at the end of the two years your into it for an extra $150, Say I want to just keep going with out a contract, but I want a new phone? Oops.... I ran over my old phone with my car... Damn. And at that point they will have a hard time getting me the same phone. Per the contract between the insurance provider and myself, They have to provide a new phone of equal or better abilities which would be a nice phone even in new standards. So I can get a new phone for the $50 deductible and I dont have to renew my contract.

In my eyes, it's a sound investment, I've had it happen once before and it worked out ok, I didnt hold out for the best phone but It got me a new phone fast and I didnt have to futz with a new contract (I've replaced my phone and contract since then).
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
04-07-2006 06:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: