What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » How do they develop plus?

How do they develop plus?
Author: Message:
morgue

O.P. How do they develop plus?
Is it using the Windows API?
06-10-2006 07:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How do they develop plus?
Messenger Plus! is programmed in Visual Studio 7.1 2005 and is developped entirely in C++ and some small bits of assembler.

It uses many Windows APIs. In fact if there where no Windows APIs, Plus! wouldn't be possible (just as extremely many other applications wouldn't be possible).

This is also the reason why there will be no Plus! for other operation systems. Eg: On the Mac there are no APIs, and therefore a program like Plus!, programmed like Plus!, isn't possible on that. Same with Linux, etc... On other operating systems a program like Plus! must be programmed in an entirly different way (if at all possible).

It also uses MSN Messenger APIs of course. And again, without the MSN Messenger APIs it would be almost impossible todo what Patchou has done. Thus, no Plus! for the Mac version of MSN Messenger as that version doesn't have APIs....

It would be to much to list all the used Windows API's though, there are way too many.

If you want to find out more on Windows API's, I'd suggest to take a look at the MSDN library.

This post was edited on 06-10-2006 at 10:29 AM by Patchou.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-10-2006 08:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
morgue

O.P. RE: How do they develop plus?
So what Patchou has done with Plus can be done with any application for Windows?
06-10-2006 11:34 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by morgue
So what Patchou has done with Plus can be done with any application for Windows?
Theoretically, but not always practically.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-10-2006 11:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
morgue

O.P. RE: How do they develop plus?
Iis there an specific API for Messenger or is it the same Win32 API?
06-10-2006 11:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Messenger has also his own additional APIs (it uses a lot of Windows APIs also of course; just as every other program does). To be more precise, it is Windows Messenger which provides the APIs used by some functions of MSN Messenger.

Many programs have their own APIs. The Win32 APIs are part of Windows in general, each program might come with its own additional APIs.

------------

PS: thanks Patchou for correcting my previous post ;) I should've known VS7.1 was old and you use VS2005 now :p

This post was edited on 06-11-2006 at 12:21 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-11-2006 12:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
morgue

O.P. RE: RE: How do they develop plus?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Messenger has also his own additional APIs (it uses a lot of Windows APIs also of course; just as every other program does). To be more precise, it is Windows Messenger which provides the APIs used by some functions of MSN Messenger.

Many programs have their own APIs. The Win32 APIs are part of Windows in general, each program might come with its own additional APIs.

------------

PS: thanks Patchou for correcting my previous post ;) I should've known VS7.1 was old and you use VS2005 now :p

So is it safe to say that Messenger APIs have nothing to do with Win32 APIs?, can one download Messenger APIs, if so, link me plz :)

This post was edited on 06-11-2006 at 12:34 AM by morgue.
06-11-2006 12:33 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: