What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM)

Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM)
Author: Message:
vasteel

O.P. Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM)
I noticed that if I open 5-6 conversations (or more) while tabbed chat enabled, the display speed of any program window is really slowed down.

(to be more specific : the display of any window gets jerked when I move it)

This happens with any program. (explorer, WLM...)

I tried to change a few parameters (transparency, logging...), but nothing changes. I also tried to change my Catalyst display driver from 6.5 to 6.6 : same thing happens.

Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Configuration : Windows XP SP2 english version, WLM 8.0.0792 english version, MP!L 4.01, A64 X2 4200+, ATI X800XL in dual monitor environment.
08-01-2006 12:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM)
Tabs require resources, just like anything else. However, 5 or 6 shouldn't slow the PC down that much. You may want to run defragmenters and stuff, clean the PC somewhat.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-01-2006 01:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
zedison_c

– / Male / –
besides that from what i know of it might be your hardwares failing if after defragmentation it is still that lag.
08-01-2006 03:29 PM
vasteel

O.P. RE: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM)
Well, actually, my XP install is brand new, and this is not the hard drive that is having trouble (doesn't emit any specific rattling) : it really looks like a bug.

I still don't think this is a performance issue, though : running on a A64 X2 4200+ rig equipped with 2 GB of RAM and a 256 MB Radeon X800XT, I shouldn't be victim of a performance dropdown.
Moreover, I had an eye on the task manager : when this bug happens, my CPUs are at 15-20% (due to window moving/drawing, I suppose), and memory usage graph doesn't increase a bit.

To me, it seems 2D video acceleration is suffering from MP!L (or WLM) handles. But I'm not an expert concerning this kind of issues, I just noticed this didn't happen with MSN 7.5 + MP!3.

Maybe something due to my dual screen environment and/or the way WLM handles window drawing?

Any hint, anyone? :S

This post was edited on 08-01-2006 at 07:13 PM by vasteel.
08-01-2006 05:24 PM
zedison_c

– / Male / –
it might be some error when you install your graphic card otherwise is due to your motherboard unable to support 2gb of ram and your graphic card.
08-23-2006 04:16 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: