What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Connection Error

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Connection Error
Author: Message:
Graventhorp

39 / Male / –
RE: Connection Error
I read on another forum that disconnecting from your LAN and connecting directly to your modem, and then signing in to WLM solves the problem.... haven't tried it yet, sounds weird to me
07-18-2006 07:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
If the solution was that easy I don't know how it could be so widespread throughout the world... I dunno.. try it and report if it works or not :)
07-18-2006 07:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Duckness

Same problem here and I can only see 7 of my 150 contacts! And no one of them is online so that's bad! :s
07-18-2006 07:42 PM
jon1988

i still see all my contacts. but i cant add anymore contacts
i added someone yesterday, and as soon as i saw them in my list, it just dissapeard straight away
07-18-2006 10:41 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Some examples of threads which already exist about this:

Do we get our contacts back?
Connection Error
Will NOT sign in!
Live! Messenger .. lots of bugs??
Unable to load contact list
Cannot sign in and no error message?

I very strongly suggest to read them, they answer your questions.

* The list you see in Windows Live Messenger is a cached list (this is a new feature of Windows Live Messenger).

It will be used whenever there are connection problems while WLM was retrieving your list from the servers. It is made that way so you could continue to chat with (some) contacts.

* Whenever the problems with the servers and the new protocol are fixed, Windows Live Messenger will be able to retrieve your full list again. MS is aware of these problems and is working on it, be patient...

* Problems with the servers can be local. And not everybody will experience the same problems; certain people will only see a "connection error" tooltip in the taskbar, others only see a blue or yellow notice on top of the contactlist, others have only half or even no contactlists visible, sharing folders might not work properly, etc... All these kind of things are the result of these server and new protocol problems.

* Certain Plus! features which deal with the contact list (like the Contact List Cleanup feature) get their information from Messenger. Thus if the information from Messenger is wrong (or rather: not up-to-date) then obviously those Plus! features which depend on that info will give you wrong or incomplete results also....

* Programs such as ZoneAlarm can cause connection troubles also.

* You could revert back to MSN Messenger 7.x by uninstalling Windows Live Messenger first. MSN Messenger 7.x works with an older protocol and may not suffer from the problems experienced lately in Windows Live Messenger with the new protocol (as much).

Why this is in bold? Because I have done nothing more than reporting threads all day long about this same issue. People, PLEASE SEARCH FIRST BEFORE MAKING A THREAD OR EVEN A POST!

The list above with threads is only a small subset of what has been created about this issue. Many threads have also been simply deleted already by the mods...

So, please do not make multiple threads about this (hell, do not make multiple threads about any subject for that matter, 1 existing thread is enough). Always search before you make a post or thread!

To others, if you see such duplicated threads, PLEASE do not continue them either! Rather link to the existing ones and REPORT the thread for closure (or even better, and if possible, report it to merge to the already existing one). If you're not sure about what to write in the report or what to suggest, simply note that the thread is a duplicate, the mods will deal with it.

It is absolutely of no use at all to start new threads about the same subject (or even continuing duplicated ones). The only thing which will happen when you do that is that the given information will be spread out over different threads instead of being centralized in one thread and thus much information will be lost, missed, or duplicated.

This post was edited on 07-21-2006 at 02:37 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-18-2006 11:11 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
strangest thing...
my sister tried to sign in on her account and lost all her contacts so i tried to login in with my account and it didn't,
then i change windows account and a third account auto-signs in with no problems... so i log that one out and login with my sisters account after that i couldn't signin with any acount...

ok to make this confusing post a bit clearer...

if you signin with an account that has problems (missing contacts) that messenger gets problems with every account...

that confuses me... cause if it's just a server-problem... then how can a client get bugged?
07-18-2006 11:47 PM
SandraK

I've finally stopped having problems with my contacts list/signing in after about 24 hours (I used 7.5 while WLM had problems), but I wanted to add that I had no problems with delays signing in with my alternate account, on the same computer with the same WLM. The only differences I can think of between my two accounts are, 1. the problem account was signed up for the beta with Yahoo (and it didn't help even after I opted out of the beta), 2. the problem account had 100 contacts while the alternate account only had 10.

I'm glad it looks like MSN has started to fix the problem though.
07-19-2006 01:57 AM
Jurassic_Ice

36 / Male / Flag
yaaaay it worked.lol
[Image: jaursicice.png]
07-19-2006 03:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
mitchiev

32 / Male / –
i had it yesterday but its gone now
07-19-2006 04:27 AM
Duckness

Where can we check if it's solved? So I can reinstall WLM and the great stuff: MLP!!!!! ;)
07-19-2006 04:57 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: