What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Server Suggestions

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Server Suggestions
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Server Suggestions
You could use Windows Server, or you could try out a server-oriented version of Linux. Both will support FTP.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-25-2006 08:27 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
I have access to a legal copy of the most recent windows server edition if i wish to put that on there, otherwise open to suggestions.
Well -- the two options are Windows and Linux.  :)

Linux can be quite a challenge to install on this type of hardware. The vendor-supplied binary modules, usually required for high end RAID controller support, are never built against the distribution/version you want, and it can get hairy fast.   Of course, it doesn't hurt to at least try, if that is what you would like.

Keep in mind that you will most likely need to obtain the drivers for the RAID controller in advance and have them available on a floppy for Windows installation, too.  If you need help with that, post the exact make and model of your server.
quote:
The ftp idea sounds like a good one and granting access to friends to upload/download stuff does anyone have any links to information regarding setting up accounts with passwords etc so that way its restricted to private use? also for them to download anything is still going to be limited by the speed of my upload connection right?
1. "Yes" to the bandwidth question.   That would also be an issue with hosting websites.

2. Tip: don't bother with the IIS FTP service that is part of Windows Server unless you need Active Directory integration.  There are many third party FTP servers available that are more flexible and easier to configure.  Serv-U is quite popular and I am sure other forum members will make more suggestions.
quote:
I will definately be dedicating some of the space for storage of files in home [...]. I just had the thought while writing this post for using it for video converting and downloading instead of having to leave my room computer on overnight.
It sounds like you would be best off installing Windows Server and setting up a small Active Directory domain, with the server acting as domain controller and hosting some file shares, and your other computer acting as a client.  You will have some learning curve there, but it is not nearly as complicated as most documentation makes it sound (the documentation is typically written with large enterprise deployments in mind).

You will be able to log on to the server from your other computer using Remote Desktop, start programs and leave them running.
quote:
Also is there a way (possibly ftp) where if i got to uni one day and thought oh shit i forgot to bring in something or email that document to myself. and i could go into the library and access my home documents (without having to have uploaded them previously cos that kinda defeats the purpose of remembering) and then download it, without installing anything on the uni computers.
Using Active Directory, you can have folders such as "My Documents" on your client computer redirected to the server, so that your files be created and saved there.  This is completely transparent to the user and takes care of always having your documents on the server, without having to remember to upload them. 

There are several ways you could access the files on the server from school.  FTP is certainly one.  You could also log on to the server interactively (using Remote Desktop) and email them, or we could figure out a way to set up some sort of a password-protected web page. 
07-25-2006 03:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Tip: don't bother with the IIS FTP service that is part of Windows Server unless you need Active Directory integration.
Or you want to run both webhosting and FTP, in which case just stick with IIS (or Apache).
07-26-2006 11:49 AM
Adeptus

Hi,
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Or you want to run both webhosting and FTP, in which case just stick with IIS (or Apache).
I am not sure what you were trying to say there.  However, to keep it from confusing the original poster, let me point out that 1)using IIS web server does not mean one must also install IIS FTP service -- he can still use a third party product for that;  2)Apache does not provide FTP.
07-26-2006 03:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I thought Apache did include FTP?
* RaceProUK checks
Meh, ah well.
07-26-2006 04:00 PM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
Unless he has good upload speed running anything will be awful.

i have about 512KB upload speed(max download speed from me 70kb/s)

large files via FTP pretty pointless i guess, Websites well ok if they get busy pointless again.

Personally i'd fine a nice place to put it Co-location. then you could run anything easy.

In my opinion i'd be looking co-lo for my dedicated game server if i had that server.

Running it from home with out a good upload speed in my opinion is waste of what seems like a pretty neat machine ;)

I guess if you want to learn your best of installing windows 2003 server

then download WAMP(apache mysql php) http://www.wampserver.com/en/ that will sort you for your web server. pretty simple and easy. learn your stuff and then go co-lo is my opinion.
07-27-2006 01:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Sell it on eBay. It'll probably be worth something. Then maybe you can use the money to buy a PS3/ NWI/ 360, or anything else that is useful to you. (Obviously you can also donate it to Patchou!)
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6565 days, 18 hours, 42 minutes, 23 seconds ago.

07-27-2006 02:03 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: