What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Your Opinion: Pay Method

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Your Opinion: Pay Method
Author: Message:
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Your Opinion: Pay Method
as some of you might know, i've been out of a job for acouple months, and recently gotten hired at "ClientLogic" working as a Frontier Technical support agent

anyways, durning my job search, i came across several types of pay methods:
-Wage($**.**/Hr)
-Salery($**,***/Yr)
-Commision(**% of each sale you make/close)

and still being new to the job world, i'd like to know your opinion on each type, and which you prefer

personaly i can't imagen working on commision, where your paycheck depends on how much you sell
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6657 days, 1 hour, 35 minutes, 20 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
07-27-2006 03:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Your Opinion: Pay Method
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
Wage($**.**/Hr)
-Salery($**,***/Yr)

Two best ways to go... Commission would suck cause you'd never know how much you're going to get. I'm new to the job world... so I couldn't tell you which of these would be better... I'd probably go with salary being better... It comes in more lump sums.
07-27-2006 03:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
In most cases, Commission can do you more bad than good. If you are a great agent and get lots of sales, it could work for you, but in most cases such a benefit is unlikely. Commission workers are great for business because employees often work that little bit harder to get an extra sale or two.

As for wage and salary, they are pretty similar, and it can depend on what chances you have of overtime or 'jumpy' hours. If you aren't sure that you will get a solid amount of hours week in week out, I would go for the annual salary. If you are confident of a solid number of hours (plus possibly overtime), I would definitely go for the wage per hour.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

07-27-2006 04:10 AM
Adeptus

quote:

-Wage($**.**/Hr)
-Salery($**,***/Yr)
-Commision(**% of each sale you make/close)

still being new to the job world, i'd like to know your opinion on each type, and which you prefer
They each have a place.

Hourly wages are usually paid to consultants, part time employees anywhere and full time employees of most "blue collar" and service jobs.  The benefit for the employee is that if they work more, they get paid more; if it turns into overtime (usually defined as time in excess of 40 hours per week), they are often paid at a higher rate for the overtime hours.

The downside for the employee is punching the clock, which some would find degrading.  The idea is to focus on work while on the job regardless how you are paid, but the hourly model particularly encourages fascist policies. Since you are paid based on time, any personal or non-productive use of it, however brief, is often equated to stealing in the mind of your average supervisor or middle manager.  These are the jobs where they might start noticing how long you were in the bathroom.  :P

Annual salary is usually found with higher skilled, higher responsibility full time jobs.  The downside of this model is that you may sometimes have to work late and don't get paid any extra for it. 

On the upside, however, your performance is judged more by results and less by nitpicking what you do while getting the work done or when you come and go.  This doesn't mean you will be able to get away with disappearing for hours and days, but since you are not paid on time, it is not likely anyone will follow you throughout the day with a stopwatch and notepad in hand.  This is what most people prefer.

Commission-only jobs are always big ticket sales, where each deal amounts to at least hundreds, often thousands of dollars in margins.  Typical examples would include selling cars, real estate, mortgage loans.  Often, the job involves going out and finding customers of your own, however you choose to do it -- including spending your own money on promotion. 

For those people good at that sort of thing,  who can generate a large volume, commissioned sales of certain products can be the highest paid job they could ever have -- at least without investing in an advanced degree and taking a lot of time to get to the top.  There is virtually no limit to what you can make; some of the top real estate agents have annual incomes comparable to Fortune 500 CEO salaries and we don't even know whether they have a highschool diploma. 

However, that kind of sales success is rare and newcomers often work their posteriors off for months before they make anything, followed by barely averaging the minimum wage for a long time.  It is definitely not a good idea for a temporary/summer job, nor is it something to get into when you are already financially pressed.

Sometimes you may encounter combinations of the above.  For example, a sales job with an hourly or annual base salary might come with a commission bonus, or an annual salary job might come with a provision for hourly overtime pay.

This post was edited on 07-27-2006 at 05:16 AM by Adeptus.
07-27-2006 04:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
If I were you, I would go for wage. I spend almost my entire summer working in my dad's office (cause my dad's the boss) and I see people working up to 9, and according to my mom, some of her ex-coworkers say that they work almost overnight. (Work hours are 9-6) Since they get salary, they dont get $$ for OT, but you do for a wage (like I do, but I dont work in OT, I wait for my dad to go home...)

This post was edited on 07-27-2006 at 05:21 AM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6561 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes, 49 seconds ago.

07-27-2006 05:20 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
As already mentioned above they all have their place. If i was you i'd look at the figures they are going to pay you (ie you just gave us ***/*** :P) and work out how many deals or hours you'd have to sign/work to get the same amount as the salary. Do some maths and make a judgement then.
Segosa is newb.
07-27-2006 05:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I think commision is good if your in a good job that your interested in. Just say your working at a tv store. And heaps of people came in and you sold them tv's you would get heaps of money. But if you have a wage or a salery it would not matter how much people you sold tv's to you would still get the same money.
07-27-2006 07:11 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Your Opinion: Pay Method
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I think commision is good if your in a good job that your interested in. Just say your working at a tv store. And heaps of people came in and you sold them tv's you would get heaps of money. But if you have a wage or a salery it would not matter how much people you sold tv's to you would still get the same money.
then again, if the demand for tv's goes down, so does your paycheck
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6657 days, 1 hour, 35 minutes, 20 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
07-27-2006 07:52 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Do you get a retainer with the commision, or is it purely comission based?
Segosa is newb.
07-27-2006 08:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Do you get a retainer with the commision, or is it purely comission based?

Yeah... that's a good thing to know if you're going to be payed on commission.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
then again, if the demand for tv's goes down, so does your paycheck

Yeah... if nobody goes in the TV store... you won't have anybody to sell TVs to... coworkers?... I doubt it :p
07-27-2006 03:27 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: