What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Bad news for guitarists

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Bad news for guitarists
Author: Message:
*Saint*

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Bad news for guitarists
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
i would have never been able to learn how to play the guitar if it wasnt for tab.....

how are people supposed to learn now?
I wonder how they learned before internet :O

Buy a book pay for classes, I'm pretty sure that'll work.

This post was edited on 09-03-2006 at 12:16 AM by *Saint*.
09-03-2006 12:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Bad news for guitarists
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

it isn't illegal, the MPAA has just decided they'll take people to court for it. they don't have the ability to say what you can and can't copy, you're still protected by the digital millenium copyright act fair use of media clauses. and i remind you, this is all america-only.

quote:[05:03:40] <TReKiE> 23, virgin, lots of spare time
    [05:03:45] <TReKiE> you do the math

It's hardly america only when they are shutting down websites now  from russia which pay the artists also is it? also its the MPA not MPAA (they are asshats about films not music)
09-03-2006 08:22 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
america only? ha! UK ROX... well... kind of, tabs are the only way i know how to put together a tune :|.... more of an ornamental guitar ^_^

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
09-03-2006 09:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
They don't have the right to pass law, just because they think they need another way to line their pockets. Poor artists aswell, they never have a say in things like this. I think it is total bollocks & they're just jumping on the band-wagon, no one makes a profit from this & the real benefiaries are the fans, learning how to play their stuff.
09-03-2006 11:15 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
They're probably not going to sue people who use the tabs, just people who host the websites with them on. And the internet is very resiliant and so will probably not make much of a difference.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-03-2006 11:41 AM
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
bah, this started to happen awhile ago... it started about 2 months ago with guitartabs.cc shutting down followed by a few other websites. The thing is, on the majority of tabs i read it says this is an interpretation, so technically it's not copyright? It's just the author's perspective on that peice of music. To be honest, i hardly use tabs anymore anyway, i've gotten to the point where i can listen to the song a few times and work it out from there (hell, it takes me awhile but atleast im not dependant on someone else's view via a tab).
formerly methos
09-03-2006 12:35 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I don't see any issue if you aren't using the tabs to make profit (copying a bands songs to play at concerts etc. where you will be making money). Whereas if you're playing it for personal use, it should be fine.

Companies are just getting greedy and pathetic. I am going to continue download guitar tablature, regardless of the law against it.
09-03-2006 12:42 PM
rix

34 / Male / Flag
I read some article about it early in the summer already. I don't think it's really going to change anything. Perhaps some major sites are closed down (ultimate-guitar.com, guitaretab.com ...), but surely not all of them. And besides, spreading and sharing music has been illegal almost from the beginning (i don't know the exact history of piracy though),but in spite of this, there are still some sites running, which provide you free mp3 downloading. So there will be even more underground guitar tab sites, don't worry. ;)

And if young guitarists are still worried, download yourself a massive songbook collection, including about 20 000 tabs and so. Though players who are full of potential and enthusiasm, don't mind studying by training their ears like in the old days.
Show Plus! your commitment - Support Plus!
:: Plus!'s Estonian community - http://foorum.msgpluslive.ee/ ::
09-03-2006 12:54 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
it isn't illegal, the MPAA has just decided they'll take people to court for it. they don't have the ability to say what you can and can't copy, you're still protected by the digital millenium copyright act fair use of media clauses. and i remind you, this is all america-only.
I don't live in the US.. 8-)

Weeeeee!
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
09-03-2006 12:59 PM
Lourix

32 / Male / Flag
Same here but I'm sure things will get better.
[Image: 202180054.png]
09-03-2006 01:30 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: