What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Mentally ill people commiting crimes: opinions.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Poll: what do you think?
Special Treatment
Same as everyone.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Mentally ill people commiting crimes: opinions.
Author: Message:
Ash_

35 / Male / –
O.P. Mentally ill people commiting crimes: opinions.
me and a few friends been talking about the treatment of mentally ill people when being charged. like let's say murder then can pleed innocent be reason of mentally ill or something.

do you think they should be allowed speical treatment because they are mentally ill or should be treated like everyone else.

personally i believe they shouldn't be treated differently, a victim is still dead, a daughter, a possible sister or mother is gone. just because the murderer didn't think it was wrong or couldn't understand what they were doing doesent make it any less of a crime.

if you agree that they should recieve special treatment, imagine you were a parent of this victim would you agree with it then.

please no argueing or insulting keep it clean :P
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
08-16-2006 02:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
RE: Mentally ill people commiting crimes: opinions.
Same treatment as everyone else. If they plead that they had a mental illness and that's why they commited a crime, well, they knew they had the illness, and had plenty of chances to get help.

Mentally ill people should either get help, or expect to be treated exactly the same as anyone else if they commit a crime. It's simply wrong, since people can kill someone, or whatever, then ooo, suddenly they've got a mental illness. (Sarcasm my dears, that's not true in a lot of cases.)

If someone is mentally ill, and unaware of it, I think they should be treated differently. It's just that if the person is aware of it and could have got help so they wouldn't commit a crime, they should be treated the same.

Bah, I know what mentally ill people are like, and I know they have as much chance as anyone to get help.

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 02:31 PM by Tasha.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
08-16-2006 02:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
but if they were getting help but it wasn't working?

That's different. I'm talking about people who have the chance to get help and don't get it.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
08-16-2006 02:32 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:

if you have ever met a schizophrenic then they can convince you that they are fine and dont need help or that they are the son of god etc.
they cant be responsible for themselves or their actions

True.

I would say if they are getting help and are on record or something then maybe but if you suddenly say that you are mentally ill when trialled then :undecided:
[Image: jumbled.png]
08-16-2006 02:32 PM
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
quote:
sometimes you dont always take help because you dont know your ill or you dont know any different.

If you take what I've said as it is, I simply mean, someone who has a mental illness, knows they've got it (why else would they plead that they've got one?!), and has had the chance to get help when they know they've got it, and didn't, because they couldn't be bothered or were stubborn or whatever.

Oh, and:

quote:
if you have ever met a schizophrenic

I lived with one.

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 03:29 PM by Tasha.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
08-16-2006 03:07 PM
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
quote:
sometimes you dont always take help because you dont know your ill or you dont know any different.
yeha, or they'e just stubborn as hell and dont think they need help.

I think mentally ill people should get the same treatment as everyone else. Ash_ is right, someone still is dead and gone because of this persons actions, and if they get off free then they might even do it again, maybe it's just oen of their states of minds, and one day it all comes backto them and...then someone else dies, or something else gets stolen, or something else gets broke. People are people, and all people should be treated the same. If  people that arent ill get sent to jail or some other place for wrong doings to  punish/teach them that isnt right/rehibilitate them then mentally ill people should too, becuase they need to be taught it isnt right and to rehibilitate them with help, which could be meds or living in a group house or something that'll keep them from doing it again.

quote:
if you have ever met a schizophrenic then they can convince you that they are fine and dont need help or that they are the son of god etc.
Yeah, that's what pisses me off about them, becuase behind closed doors and stuff they could be the god damn devil himself...but no one else can see that, and when you call for help they turn on that "good" side of them.

:dodgy:
08-16-2006 03:21 PM
*Saint*

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Same treatment as everyone else. If they plead that they had a mental illness and that's why they commited a crime, well, they knew they had the illness, and had plenty of chances to get help.

Not all mental illnesses are curable amd even with all the help in the world it won't make them better.

Now don't forget when 3 or 4 year olds shoot someone and kill then by accident playing with their parents gun, they should be chagred and put into baby jail, doesn't matter if they didn't know it was wrong.

An adult with a mind of a 5 year old or a 5 year old with the mind of a 5 year old, they both commited a crime. The law may not waiver and there may be no expections in the eyes of the law.....

Yes I do think people who have a mental illness need to have special circumstances.

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 08:26 PM by *Saint*.
08-16-2006 04:14 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
I'm finding that the general assumption towards "Special treatment" leans too closely to 'letting a person off easy or scott free'.

Just because someone is getting "Special treatment" doesn't mean they have an easy road and are straight back onto the streets. I think people who are unable to think to reasonable levels of rationality/intelligence etc should not get the full punishment in most cases. Of course there will be exceptions, but I agree with a special treatment. Think of someone with an uncontrollable condition which is to blame for them committing a murder - no, I don't agree to life in prison, but life imprisonment in a special centre may be adequate... it really depends on a case a lot of the time.

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
Now don't forget when 3 or 4 year olds shoot someone and kill then by accident playing with their parents gun, they should be chagred and put into baby jail, doesn't matter if they didn't know it was wrong.

An adult with a mind of a 5 year old or a 5 year old with the mind of a 5 year old, they both commited a crime. They may be no expections in the eyes of the law.....
Very good points, I was also thinking along these sorts of lines. As above, there can still be exceptions, for example a local case here with two minors killing another girl caused outrage, and there were calls for the girls who committed the murder to be tried as adults.

Again, it depends on the case, but in general I think yes, special circumstances are desirable.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

08-16-2006 04:52 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:

Now don't forget when 3 or 4 year olds shoot someone and kill then by accident playing with their parents gun, they should be chagred and put into baby jail, doesn't matter if they didn't know it was wrong
Errr.... i dont think 3 or 4 year olds intend to kill.....
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
08-16-2006 11:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Mentally ill people commiting crimes: opinions.
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:

Now don't forget when 3 or 4 year olds shoot someone and kill then by accident playing with their parents gun, they should be chagred and put into baby jail, doesn't matter if they didn't know it was wrong
Errr.... i dont think 3 or 4 year olds intend to kill.....

They dont intend.. as Saint said, Shoot by accident, silly :P

Special attention i must say
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
08-16-2006 11:07 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: