What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Forum Limits

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Forum Limits
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Forum Limits
:$ Typo
Sowwy :<
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-30-2006 02:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Surely now that 90% of people are using broadband internet, the limits on sizes of avatars and signatures should be changed a little bit.
I'm sorry, but dialup is still far more popular than broadband. You can't base your statistics off countries such as the US and Europe when you're dealing with an international market.

90% of the globe do not use broadband, especially in developing nations and such.

That aside, ISPs cap users (in some places) to slightly faster than dialup speeds when they go over their monthly usage allowance. I'm capped right now and there is no way in hell I am waiting for your not-very-important signature images to load. 70kb is enough as it is.

You say the average person has a 45KB/s download speed. That still means signature images would take an additional second or two to load if the size was put up and for a signature image to load - it isn't worth it.

I know I don't want to wait for your signature to load, which is meant to be a personal identifier or something similar not a "show off" of your talent.

I'd like to pull you up on another suggestion you had in regards to the fonts in the menu.

quote:
Really though, segoe ui should never have been in the list of fonts used for the forum, not everybody has it, or will have it for a few more years.

you need to learn how fonts work in HTML. You specify which fonts you want to use and if people don't have that font then it falls back on the other fonts you specify. So people having it or not does not make any difference.

This post was edited on 08-30-2006 at 02:38 AM by surfichris.
08-30-2006 02:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lourix

32 / Male / Flag
Chris is right you know.

This post was edited on 08-30-2006 at 07:21 AM by Lourix.
[Image: 202180054.png]
08-30-2006 07:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Imo, no. There isnt any need. There are more than enough options like just compressing your image. In almost all the cases there isnt any visible loss of data. Signatures are supposed to be plain and simple and not some peices of art that have huge sizes. You want to do something, do it in less than the space alloted.

Yeah my connection has a cap but thats not really the point. If you can compress something, why not do it. Its the same as saying ill post bmp's and not jpg's just cause the size is bigger.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
08-30-2006 07:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Forum Limits
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Oh well, i am on broadband, but believe me, on another forum, they dont regulate the sizes, it takes like a minute to get the full page, its dodgy.
Yeah, I've had similar experiences on other boards that are less restrictive with their limits. (n)

You don't need GIF movies in your avatar and signature, and for non-animated images, 100 KB is more than enough.

Even for broadband users (myself included), many images don't download at your maximum download speed because they're hosted on a slow server.
08-30-2006 07:42 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: