What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ
Author: Message:
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ
Well did you try and change the MTU? Because I know with my ISP I used to get Page Cannot Be Displayed when the MTU was not changed to the right value.
[Image: top.gif]
09-06-2006 09:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ
how do i find the right value? and where do i find the place to change the settings? id rather not change it using a program, i will if i have to though

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
09-06-2006 09:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I tried to find a value on the Sky Brodband website but no luck. So some Google searching said to try 1460 or 1450. You can find this value in the router control panel by either going to 192.168.0.1 or what ever IP your router is.
[Image: top.gif]
09-07-2006 12:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Bam, here's your MTU instructions. No guarantees that you problem is actually caused by improper MTU though.

In Command Prompt, enter this:

code:
ping -f -l 1472 www.dslreports.com

Raise the number until you get errors about fragmentation. The highest number that doesn't give fragmentation errors will be your magic number.

Hint: You'll probably end up finding either 1472 or 1464 as your magic number, so try those first, and then start checking every other number.

Your optimal MTU value will be your magic number plus 28.

Use DrTCP to change your computers' MTU value to the optimal value that you have found. You might as well set it on your router as well. There is no proper place to change the settings, if you want to do it without using any extra programs, you'll be editing hex values directly in the registry.

The optimal value won't constantly change, so don't bother retesting it regularly. If you cahange your connection, then it may be worth retesting though.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-07-2006 07:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
mtu set to 1472.... still dont load:(

this was on digital spy:
quote:
There's a thread about this on uk.telecom.broadband. What appears to be happening is that certain sites inadvertently have the Sky BB address block (90.192.0.0/12) in their bogon filters (filters for blocking bogus or 'spoofed' IP addresses). Easynet are working to contact the sites involved and rectify the situation.

This post was edited on 09-07-2006 at 03:16 PM by M73A.

09-07-2006 03:15 PM
Adeptus

MTU is not likely to be the problem here.  It will be one of the two: intentional filtering (which some ISPs offer as an option) or routing issues at your ISP or its upstream providers.  The latter would include the potential problem mentioned in the quote in your last post.

There are tests we could go through to pinpoint which it is (and, for the routing issue, where), but neither will be repairable by doing things to your computer; it will take contacting the ISP anyway, so you might just want to start with that.

I doubt it is filtering, because you are also having problems with CNN.  While I could see a "safe surfing" filter give a bad rating to some forum, it is not likely they'd blacklist a major news site.  However, you can ask if they offer any filtering and if it is enabled for your account when you call. 

So, call and complain that you can't access www.cnn.com and some other sites.  Focus on CNN rather than your forums, as that is something other people are likely to complain about as well.

09-07-2006 03:46 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
they don't have filtering... lol

i've posted on the forum and asked about getting the ip's unblacklisted or whatever :D

09-07-2006 04:19 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: