What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [REQ] Auto update lang file

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[REQ] Auto update lang file
Author: Message:
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file
Yeah that would be a good, but to accomplish this you would need to find out the version number of each script installed, and AFAIK there is no way to do that.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
07-08-2006 12:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dhaya

lala~

38 / Male / –
i have an idea that scripters who would have to put their script in the updater create and host a file somewhere with a specific format, so the updater analyze it and stores it in a database. then when the scripter updates his scripts, he just has to update the little file hosted, and the updater will know if there is a diff between the version, where to download the new file, eventually a changelog...

what do you think of that ?
Godamn JScript ! I HATE you ! ... but I love you so much <3
07-08-2006 12:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cooldude_i06

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Dhaya
i have an idea that scripters who would have to put their script in the updater create and host a file somewhere with a specific format, so the updater analyze it and stores it in a database. then when the scripter updates his scripts, he just has to update the little file hosted, and the updater will know if there is a diff between the version, where to download the new file, eventually a changelog...

what do you think of that ?

It would be better if the registry was used. Since all of the scripts are already stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Scripts\. All you need is for each script to have a key with its own version number. This would be better if it were actually a feature of Plus! itself, just like the extension manager in firefox.

Another thing, the RSS feed for the Scripts Database currently does not have an element for version number. Here are my suggestions:

1. Give each item an element containing the script's id. Right now the only way to find your own script when parsing is by using the download link because that stays consistent. The name does not due to the version number on its end.

2. Seperate the name and version number into different elements. This way it will be easier for scripters to find out there version number. Currently I have to compare the name which contains the version number on the end.

3. Add a php filtering variable that shows only a particular element. Ex. rss.php?itemid=39 will only display the plugin with that id. This will help scripts in 2 ways: one the bandwidth used will be reduced because you wont have to download info about all the other scripts, and two, you won't have to parse the script so it will save processing time.
07-08-2006 12:45 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
Here are my suggestions:
All 3 should be do-able, I'll get back to you about it somewhere tomorrow.

quote:
This would be better if it were actually a feature of Plus! itself, just like the extension manager in firefox.
Agreed, but if we do this right, then maybe we could get Patchou to include it as part of Plus! (or as script bundeled in setup) in the future.

This post was edited on 07-08-2006 at 12:55 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-08-2006 12:53 AM
cooldude_i06

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
This would be better if it were actually a feature of Plus! itself, just like the extension manager in firefox.
Agreed, but if we do this right, then maybe we could get Patchou to include it as part of Plus! (or as script bundeled in setup) in the future.

Yeah, that would be good too. The ScriptInfo.xml file actually contains an attribute for "Version", but I can't find any place where it is used. Perhaps if Plus! would make this attribute mandatory, and export it as a registry key along side the Enabled key, it would make it possible.

You could physically load the script info for each script and check the version, but that would be wasteful.

This post was edited on 07-08-2006 at 01:14 AM by cooldude_i06.
07-08-2006 01:13 AM
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file
you're having good ideas, but what about my lang file??
07-08-2006 02:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file
UP!
09-07-2006 03:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version