What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Messenger Options/question

MSN Messenger Options/question
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  MSN Messenger Options/question
when I go to Tools/Options/Security Tab there's a checkbox labeled "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages". This checkbox is greyed (inactive), so I can't select it or deselect it. How can I fix this? Thanks
I have MSN Messenger 7.5.0322 with Messenger Plus (latest version) and A-Patch.
01-11-2006 02:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger Options/question
You can't fix this, apparently it's not possible (in your country) to directly connect to your contacts anymore.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-11-2006 02:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: MSN Messenger Options/question
How do you know that? And what is the advantage of direclty connecting with my contacts? Thanks.
01-11-2006 06:31 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
If it was available it wouldn't be greyed out. Only possible advantage a direct connection might have that it's slightly faster (you wouldn't notice the difference really).
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-11-2006 08:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: MSN Messenger Options/question
1) Maybe it's greyed out because of a bug in the installation/program?
2) Slower connection....maybe that's why the display pictures of my contacts in the contact list take ages to appear, or they never show up at all (only after oopening a convo window with that contact and waiting a few seconds)...?
01-11-2006 11:48 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
No this wouldn't be greyed out because of an installation error as this is in the program itself and should have nothing to do with a problem in the installation.
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Slower connection
This has likely nothing to do with this and as said by sunshine, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
01-11-2006 11:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
if you live in Australia, you cant check the Box, ,, which in a way is dumb coz im pretty Sure ICQ/AIM supports direct Connection to Contact,
01-12-2006 12:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
techcafe

the option to 'connect directly to my contacts' is unavailable (greyed-out and unchecked) for me as well... i'm in canada.

from what i've read, just like e-mail, conversations via IM chat clients like MSN Messenger, et al are NOT private and not encrypted, AND even archived on the service provider's servers (microsoft in this case), which has been deemed mandatory (in the US) by the Dept of Homeland Security.  so, it would follow from that, MSNIM direct connections b/w contacts would contravene the US government's requirement that IMs be retained/archived by the service provider for security/surveillance purposes.

obviously, i can't verify if this is true, and if indeed it were the case, how would any of us know or find-out???  it's not like they're gonna tell us, which would only defeat their intelligence gathering efforts.

i think it's reasonable to assume that *anything* we do online (all traffic traversing the internet), is subject to the scrutiny of US security/intelligence gathering agencies.

any other thoughts on this?
09-17-2006 06:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: