What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Which numbers do you use?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Poll: Which number keys do you use?
Horizontal Pad
Numpad
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Which numbers do you use?
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Which numbers do you use?
Depends on the situation for me too... the majority of the time it's my numpad though.
09-21-2006 11:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I almost always use the numpad, I'm not used to using the horizontal number keys.

quote:
2) I have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers // I use the numpad the most
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-22-2006 12:06 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
Umm.. I use both.. but the Num pad is the most used.

Like WDZ and the others.. its depending the situation.. or if im typing long numbers, etc.

:P
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
09-22-2006 12:21 AM
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I can't use the horizontal one anymore, I find it extremely difficult, whereas with the numpad it's like dum-dee-dum and the number is in :s.

I use the horizontal keypad sometimes though, like on laptops.
That's exactly I wanted to say :-o

/me loves random polls. :chrongue:
Registered 7630 days, 23 hours, 7 minutes, 58 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

09-22-2006 12:33 AM
wolfeboy100

34 / Male / Flag
I most likely, like to use my Numpad
[Image: signature-user=76&back=4&clr=106,141,166&size=100.png]
09-22-2006 01:07 AM
Adeptus

The horizontal numbers row is meant to work together with typing.  For anyone who knows how to type properly, it should be faster and more natural -- you don't have to remove a hand from the keyboard.

The only exception to this that I can see would involve using calculators or similar applications, which require input of a bunch of numbers and zero text.

I use the numbers row exclusively and would prefer a keyboard without the numeric pad if I could find a split ergonomic keyboard like that, to shorten the reach distance to the mouse.  From what I've observed among my friends and coworkers, most programmers, admins and other 12-hours-a-day computer users do the same, while most casual users seem to prefer the numeric pad.  No offense to anyone here was intended.  :)

09-22-2006 01:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
RE: RE: Which numbers do you use?
quote:
Originally posted by J.J
quote:
Originally posted by Plik
Horizontal pad, but only because my laptop doesn't have  built in numpad :P

Same here...but i guess I would still use the horizontal pad because I'm used to it :P

09-22-2006 02:15 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
As stated by heaps of people I like to only used the horizontal number line when I have up to about 3 numbers to write, after that it's time to use the number pad.  The biggest difference with me i that I don't mind using my laptop with the likes of spreadsheets though, probably has something to do with my full size keyboard and 17" widescreen :refuck:

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
The horizontal numbers row is meant to work together with typing. For anyone who knows how to type properly, it should be faster and more natural -- you don't have to remove a hand from the keyboard.

The only exception to this that I can see would involve using calculators or similar applications, which require input of a bunch of numbers and zero text.

I use the numbers row exclusively and would prefer a keyboard without the numeric pad if I could find a split ergonomic keyboard like that, to shorten the reach distance to the mouse. From what I've observed among my friends and coworkers, most programmers, admins and other 12-hours-a-day computer users do the same, while most casual users seem to prefer the numeric pad. No offense to anyone here was intended.

I disagree that 12-hour-a-day computer users prefer the horizontal number bar, many accountants and statisticians find it far better to have the number pad as they are writing in numbers for quite a lot of the day.  But I do think they will agree with you when it comes to smaller numbers, especially when writing a report or letter and they are using that side of the keyboard already.

This post was edited on 09-22-2006 at 02:22 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
09-22-2006 02:18 AM
Curtis

31 / Male / Flag
I use horizontal pad all the time.  No matter what for.
09-22-2006 02:28 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I disagree that 12-hour-a-day computer users prefer the horizontal number bar, many accountants and statisticians
It was a bad choice of terms.  I probably should have drawn the distinction between technical (IT) users and non-technical users.
09-22-2006 02:30 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: