What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wireless Internet Connection

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Wireless Internet Connection
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Wireless Internet Connection
My dad bought a laptop for my 11-year-old sister. It's not very good, but it's only so she can use Messenger and do homework.
So my dad bought a Router and a Network Card.
I want the laptop to have a wireless connection to my computer, which has an NTL Broadband Cable USB modem connection, which is working fine.

I've never done this before so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

I installed the CD (on the laptop) and followed the instructions, typed in 192.168.20.75 into IE, then follow the wizard, but it says "Auto-detect failed. Please contact your DSL service provider for the correct settings and complete the following screens".

I tried clicking on 'Set up a wireless network for a home or small office' and it gave me some settings to use, but I don't know exactly where to put them. I've put the SSID as 'Wireless' on both the computer and laptop...

quote:
Network Name (SSID): Wireless
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): [removed]
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: open
Data Encryption Type: WEP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index:

I tried 'Set up a home or small office network' on both the laptop and the computer (Computer being the direct connection, laptop connection through another computer) and selecting the wireless connection on the laptop. I get 'Cannot Complete the Network Setup Wizard' on the computer. On the laptop, it says I need to run it on the computer, which I've done :S. Both connecting to 'MSHOME' network, but the laptop doesn't appear in MSHOME on my computer and no sign of 'MSHOME' on the laptop.

In Network Connections (on laptop), an 'Internet Connection' has appeared, which, when double-clicked, most settings (duration, speed) says 'Not available'. It is enabled, as well as 'Wireless Connection 3'. The modem that is inside the laptop, which is not in use, is disabled.

I've tried to mention as much information as possible. If there's something you need to know, just ask, I can find out (if you tell me how :P). Sorry if it's confusing, I've been typing this for ages, changing things etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've herd a lot of people have problems like this and some just give up, so I hope that doesn't happen :P

Thanksss.

P.S. Cookie? :P

This post was edited on 09-28-2006 at 10:45 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
09-28-2006 08:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Wireless Internet Connection
my gf's having problems aswell, shes with tiscali, shes gone to thei website and theirs a section 'how to set up your wireless router' but it says set to PPPoA and enable NAT (two options which arent on the router :S) netgear router, instructions designed specifically for a netgear router. grr

good luck none the less! maybe have a look on your ISPs site?

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
09-28-2006 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Wireless Internet Connection
Hmm, ntlworld.com - wireless, not helpful, and doesn't help that the links to ntlwireless.co.uk don't work :S

Also looked on ntlhell.co.uk forums, but not much help.

This post was edited on 09-28-2006 at 08:58 PM by Chris4.
09-28-2006 08:57 PM
Adeptus

This is about as straightforward as launching a submarine into lunar orbit.  :P

You have quite an odd collection of items there: an ADSL modem / wireless router (intended for people with ADSL service, why did your father choose that?) and a USB cable modem.  What you really want (to make this easy) is either a similar modem/router combination  for cable (not ADSL), or a universal wireless router and a cable modem with an ethernet connection. 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I tried 'Set up a home or small office network' on both the laptop and the computer (Computer being the direct connection, laptop connection through another computer) and selecting the wireless connection on the laptop.
That would be the only way you might be able to get it to work with what you have.  You'd need to disable the DHCP server on the router and enable ICS on the desktop computer.  I recently suggested that configuration to another member of this forum and it worked for him -- but it really depends on how configurable the router is.
09-28-2006 10:23 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Wireless Internet Connection
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
You have quite an odd collection of items there: an ADSL modem / wireless router (intended for people with ADSL service, why did your father choose that?)
Meh, no idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
You'd need to disable the DHCP server on the router and enable ICS on the desktop computer.
Could you explain how I can do that, please?
09-28-2006 10:43 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
What I suggest (this is what I do when reinstalling my software) is to not use the Wizards that come with Windows. Make sure the drivers are copied from your CD for the wireless adapter. Unplug the adapter and then plug it back in so that windows detects new hardware. Then, as the software to run the connection isn't installed, download a program called WinC from Cirond (30-day trial, but I'll talk to you on MSN about that).

As for the DHCP server, I recommend turning this off once you can actually connect and setting the IP, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DNS server addresses youself. This not only gives a static IP, but (with my PC at least) connects faster as the router doesn't have to assign an IP address for you.

If nothing works to get the laptop to find the connection, try installing the Wireless Network to another PC to see if that installs OK and detects the network.

PS: Even though theres probably a low risk, I wouldn't have posted your WEP key online :s
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-28-2006 10:43 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Directly connect a PC to the router. This will allow you to change any settings from within the router itself. Once you are connected go Start > Run and type
code:
cmd /k ipconfig /all
Once you have this information look for this line (the bolded line)
code:
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-97-AF-F6
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : *.*.*.*
                                            *.*.*.*
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:23:27 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 29, 2006 5:23:27 PM
Take the IP address and enter it into your web address this will connect you to the routers preferences.

This post was edited on 09-28-2006 at 11:10 PM by matty.
09-28-2006 11:09 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Could you explain how I can do that, please?
You have indicated you were able to connect the router to a computer and log in to the management interface of the router fine, so I won't deal with that part.  I will also assume both the desktop and the laptop are running Windows XP.

Once logged into the router's management interface, you will want to:

1) Make sure wireless and other settings (SSID, WEP, router admin password) are what you want.  After disabling the DHCP server in the next step, it will be more difficult to log into the management interface again to change things.  You may have to reset the router (using the recessed button on the back) to connect to it again, so take your time and try to avoid having to go back there.

2) Looking at the PDF version of the manual for your router, uncheck the "DHCP Server" checkbox shown in fig. 6, page 13.  Save, then restart the router.

3) If not done already, connect the router to the desktop computer.  Share your cable modem's connection using ICS, as described here

4) Just to make sure we are not banging our heads against the wall for some stupid reason, it wouldn't hurt to reboot your desktop and power cycle the router at this point.  Confirm the desktop is still connected to the Internet.  Also, if you are running any third party personal firewalls on the desktop (e.g. ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security), disable them for now.

5) Attempt to enable the wireless connection from the laptop.  If you enabled WEP on the router, this will probably fail. 

In the Windows XP wireless connection screen,  click "Advanced Settings" (under "Related Items").  Change to "Wireless Networks" tab, click the "Add" button, and set the SSID (using the same case you used on the router) as well as the same the same authentication settings and keys you set up on the router.

Try to connect again.  If we got everything right, it should succeed.

6) Run ipconfig on the laptop (Matty has posted some instructions above, if needed).  Confirm the wireless connection received an IP address that begins with 192.168.0.  Try visiting a website -- it should work.

Good luck.  :)

This post was edited on 09-29-2006 at 07:13 AM by Adeptus.
09-29-2006 07:04 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Going through it last night I found that the authentication wasn't being done properly. The wireless manager program I told him to use finds the network and connects, but needs the WPA key entered and for it to be listed as a trusted network to get full access (Internet etc). The SSID set was too simple and so the program wouldn't allow for it to be marked as a trusted network.

The only thing he needs to do is change the SSID on the routers configuration pages to broadcast a different name, and then he can mark it as trusted in the Wireless Manager program on his laptop
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-29-2006 11:31 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
The only thing he needs to do is change the SSID...
Ok.  There is more than one way to do anything and I assume Chris4 will let us know if he needs anything else.

09-29-2006 02:14 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: