What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!

Pages: (13): « First « 8 9 10 11 [ 12 ] 13 » Last »
Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
Author: Message:
DarkMe

Thx ins4ne for my av :p

31 / Male / –
RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Originally posted by Panachiba
that is the point, they need to read and chose if want install that or not.
usually people dont read it, although sometimes it comes with malicious software
and if not, they dont let the option to wether choose to install it or not

quote:
if i dont know what is a sponsor..i dont  install it.
even if i know the sponsor i dont install it, only pop ups and malware :p

This post was edited on 10-09-2006 at 10:07 PM by DarkMe.
[Image: darkme.png]
10-09-2006 10:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jahewi

RE: RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
quote:
Originally posted by jahewi
Why do you all think that it's alright if malware (wether it is Adware, Spyware or whatever) is installed on a computer?

Its optional.

the user can choose to have it or not

that is the point, they need to read and chose if want install that or not.

And what would they read?
Just that adware (whatever that is to general internet-users) will be installed.
That, together with the option "I refuse to give my support, don't install the sponsor." is not fair.

Besides ... it's still LOP-adware that's being installed.
However you want to turn and twist it ... that's malware.

quote:
quote:
There is no mention that the sponsors will give them additional shortcuts to unreliable site and popups to even more questionable sites.

If there was, probably no one would install the sponsors.

Thank you, that's exactly my point.
If you know, you don't install.

10-09-2006 10:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
I usually avoid discussions about the sponsor program, but your ignorance annoys me.

quote:
There is no mention that the sponsors will give them additional shortcuts to unreliable site and popups to even more questionable sites.

There _is_ a statement about the shortcuts in the License Agreement.
It's even on the top of the document.
And, as MenthiX said before, please get your facts straight and go back here.
I quoted the portion of License Agreement about the shortcuts and "additional stuff" if you're lazy to do research.

quote:
1) By accepting these terms and conditions, the Software will be installed on your computer. The search page for your web browsers auto search option and default error page are set to a web page determined by the Software. The Software does not transmit the URL of any website that you or any user visits to a 3rd party server. The Software will deliver popup advertisements on your computer on a regular basis. Installation of the Software may also add bookmarks to your computer and web browser, and shortcuts to the desktop and various menus.  The added bookmarks and shortcuts may be removed manually or via un-installation of the Software.  If incorrect host-file entries are detected for this Software's related domain names, those entries will be removed in order for this software to function properly. 
Registered 7644 days, 12 hours, 24 minutes, 47 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

10-09-2006 10:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jahewi

RE: RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Originally posted by thekid
I usually avoid discussions about the sponsor program, but your ignorance annoys me.

quote:

There _is_ a statement about the shortcuts in the License Agreement.
It's even on the top of the document.
And, as MenthiX said before, please get your facts straight and go back here.
I quoted the portion of License Agreement about the shortcuts and "additional stuff" if you're lazy to do research.

quote:
1) By accepting these terms and conditions, the Software will be installed on your computer. The search page for your web browsers auto search option and default error page are set to a web page determined by the Software. The Software does not transmit the URL of any website that you or any user visits to a 3rd party server. The Software will deliver popup advertisements on your computer on a regular basis. Installation of the Software may also add bookmarks to your computer and web browser, and shortcuts to the desktop and various menus.  The added bookmarks and shortcuts may be removed manually or via un-installation of the Software.  If incorrect host-file entries are detected for this Software's related domain names, those entries will be removed in order for this software to function properly. 

Ow please!
Don't even go there!
Don't try to explain EULA's to me *LOL*

Messenger Plus even has 2 lenghty EULA's!
Most malware-pusher just stick with one.

Most people won't read them, because they are so nicely rapped up in unreadable sentences.

Is that the way to deal with the people that want to install the program, if the program and the maker of it are fair?

10-09-2006 10:18 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Why do you all think that it's alright if malware (wether it is Adware, Spyware or whatever) is installed on a computer?
It would indeed not be alright, but IF and only IF it was installed automatically without the approval of the user.

The sponsor of Plus! can only be installed with the approval of the user, it will never ever install automatically.

quote:

It is stated, even before the sponsor is actually installed.

In fact, when you click the first option to install the sponsor, another window will pop up with the eula which explains everything what the sponsor does.

On that same window, the user must AGAIN tick an option (an option which is again not ticked by default) before the installer goes further.

And still the user can change his mind at this point, because the next thing which will be shown is the eula of Plus! itself, which again needs to be confirmed by ticking a box (which is again not ticked by default)... so there is still time to go back and reread and/or reconsider the actions.

You can all easly test this and see for yourself ;)

This post was edited on 10-09-2006 at 10:27 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2006 10:24 PM
Panachiba

Spanish User/Helper, Chile Presente!

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Ow please!
Don't even go there!
Don't try to explain EULA's to me *LOL*

is funny, yes.

quote:

Most people won't read them, because they are so nicely rapped up in unreadable sentences.

Is that the way to deal with the people that want to install the program, if the program and the maker of it are fair?

When one person want to install the sponsor (mistake or not), he/she need to accept others terms of use(where explained what is a sponsor , but not much explanations) and with that, they know what is it and if wanna help or not.
Chile!!!!Seba!, Comunidad Hispana oficial
[Image: seba18an.jpg?dc=4675511111826395393]
[Image: panachiba.gif]
10-09-2006 10:25 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Jahewi, if you're gonna post a load of unfounded crap on the forum please follow the rules and don't double post :p

Microsoft defines adware as:
quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft

Advertising that is integrated into software. Adware is often combined with a host application that is provided at no charge as long as the user agrees to accept the adware.

That seems about right to me...

Wikipedia defines malware as:
quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia

Malware (a portmanteau of "malicious software") is any software program developed for the purpose of causing harm to a computer system, similar to a virus or trojan horse.

Nope, the sponsor does not execute any script files that may copy dangerous files or allow computers to connect to open ports on an "infected" PC.

Wordnet defines spyware as:

quote:
Originally posted by Wordnet
computer software that obtains information from a user's computer without the user's knowledge or consent

Well, if you look at this posted by thekid earlier, you will see that the EULA states that you must ACCEPT the conditions, meaning that consent is given. Therefore it is not spyware either.

So before you say there aren't three different types, do some research. This all took 5 minutes to gather together. I'll give you a little while to run and hide whilst thinking of an argument that may or may not make sense. Just remember, no matter how smart one person thinks they are, there will always be some one smarter. What I'm getting at is, you think you know everything, but we know more ;)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
10-09-2006 10:26 PM
jahewi

RE: RE: RE: RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
It would indeed not be alright, but IF and only IF it was installed automatically without the approval of the user.

The sponsor of Plus! can only be installed with the approval of the user, it will never ever install automatically.

Malware=malware ... however it is brought.
You can't tell me that, if someone is installing Messenger Plus and knows the hole story, anyone would willingly install it.

quote:
quote:

It is stated, even before the sponsor is actually installed.

In fact, when you click the first option to install the sponsor, another window will pop up with the eula which explains everything what the sponsor does.

On that same window, the user must AGAIN tick an option (an option which is again not ticked by default) before the installer goes further.

And still the user can change his mind at this point, because the next thing which will be shown is the eula of Plus! itself, which again needs to be confirmed by ticking a box (which is again not ticked by default)... so there is still time to go back and reread and/or reconsider the actions.

So, i can assume that you read any EULA, wich is shown to you, in full and understand it fully?
And that you think that anyone should?

10-09-2006 10:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:

1) Messenger Plus has 1 eula, just as any program should have as that is the legal thing todo. The sponsor, which is a seperate program has also an, just as any program should have as that is the legal thing todo.

2) I know this has been said over and over, but the truth is that it is the user's own responsebility to read them or not.

If you buy something, or hire something or whatever, you also want to read what it does or doesn't. Why is it so difficult to understand that with software this is just the same?

3) Messenger Plus! nor its sponsor is "most malware-pusher". (generalizations)

4) "Is that the way to deal with the people that want to install the program, if the program and the maker of it are fair?"

yes that is the legal and not to mention the fair way. The opposite would be illegal and unfair.

quote:
Besides ... it's still LOP-adware that's being installed.
However you want to turn and twist it ... that's malware.
Adware is adware. If the pope made same adware it is adware, if MS includes ads in Messenger it is adware. If "LOP" has an adware program it is adware.

Again you generalize and base your finding on what other people say, not on investigated facts.

quote:
quote:

Thank you, that's exactly my point.
If you know, you don't install.
No that is not what he has said and is not exactly your point at all. Panachiba said that he will not install something which he does not know. Which is the most smart thing todo.

quote:
So, i can assume that you read any EULA, wich is shown to you, in full and understand it fully?
1) it is stated in the very first lines of the eula (so you don't even need to scroll down, all you need todo is open your eyes and read a few lines instead of clicking on everything like a mindless robot.

2) yes I do read eula's. I want to know and understand what I'm installing, I would be stupid not to.

---------

EDIT: agreed with Menthix

This post was edited on 10-09-2006 at 10:47 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2006 10:33 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:

it says in the first screenful of information in the very center of the textbox.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.