What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!

Pages: (13): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 12 13 » Last »
Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Exactly our point Adeptus, it is through their own negligence that people install it. Just like people who say "I accidentally downloaded WGA from Automatic Update and now it knows my version of Windows isn't genuine". There is always an option to not install/download something, it's just whether people are smart enough to find it/look for it.
So, you admit that the adware is undesireable by virtually everyone and being snuck onto their systems when they fail to pay adequate attention to prevent it.
Don't twist stuff around (apparently this is something many people are good at) and investigate before drawing a conclusion (apparently this is something not many people are good at).

What SpunkyLoveMuff said is that if the sponsor is installed by accident it is because of their own negligence (and not what you twist it around in). Why? Because absolutely nothing is ticked by default and the user must explicitly, before the sponsor is installed:
1) tick the option to install the sponsor (which is not ticked by default)
2) then a big window appears with the title sponsor agreement, with a big area for the sponsor eula
3) then the user must AGAIN tick an option which is not ticked by default.

So you see, if you did at least some investigation instead of blunty copying and repeating what you've found on those security forums and other misinformed and biased places, and you read things as they are meant and not as you want them to be, you wouldn't have come to that reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
As for C2Media  and their full "product"
Again an example of how you just copy stuff from other places and people without actually investigating for yourself.

What people have said on this forum time and again is that the sponsor is NOT their full product but a stripped down, controlled, light version, which is majorly different than their full product (which doesn't exist anymore btw, FYI).

This post was edited on 10-09-2006 at 04:42 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2006 04:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Don't twist stuff around (apparently this is something many people are good at) and investigate before drawing a conclusion (apparently this is something not many people are good at).

What SpunkyLoveMuff said is that if the sponsor is installed by accident it is because of their own negligence (and not what you twist it around in). Why? Because absolutely nothing is ticked by default and the user must explicitly, before the sponsor is installed:
1) tick the option to install the sponsor (which is not ticked by default)
2) then a big window appears with the title sponsor agreement, with a big area for the sponsor eula
3) then the user must AGAIN tick an option which is not ticked by default.

cookie, cookie, cookie.

Adeptus stated exactly that, that the sponsor is typically installed out of negligence and ignorance, not out of free will. The point SLM was trying to prove is that the sponsor IS installed out of users' free will. Adeptus is right in saying that if you don't pay attention to the installer, you may accidentially install the sponsor without previous experience using the installer. Other installers, such as Nero, WLM, and countless others are much clearer in asking you if you want to install an optional package -- I could uncheck "[_] install yahoo toolbar" in my sleep.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-09-2006 04:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I could uncheck "[_] install yahoo toolbar" in my sleep.
Or you could leave it checked before you even closed your eyes. The fact is that you have to click one of two options, so it makes sense to look at what you're clicking.

There are two crossed purposes here though. Adeptus seems to be implying that nobody would ever install the sponsor except by accident. This is clearly not the case as a good number of forum users here profess to have installed it out of choice to Patchou. The search bar it adds also seems to be a perfectly adequate use for the sponsor, so don't pretend that it does nothing but use system resource and clutter the screen. SpunkyLoveMuff is saying that if it WASN'T free will that installed the sponsor then it's your own fault becase quite frankly you need to be quite apathetic about installing software to click the wrong radio button in the Plus installer. See the difference?
10-09-2006 06:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Adeptus stated exactly that, that the sponsor is typically installed out of negligence and ignorance, not out of free will. The point SLM was trying to prove is that the sponsor IS installed out of users' free will.

It is their own free will to be negligent ^o)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
10-09-2006 07:32 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35483
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-09-2006 08:52 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35483

That article is just full of people commenting about crap they don't have a clue about.
10-09-2006 08:54 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
I think to save people arguing what he should do is:
Put a picture of what you are installing where it asks you if you want too install it.
This way it is clearer. They can see that the installer is asking them if they want to install yahoo tool bar or whatever . ;)
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

10-09-2006 09:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jahewi

My, my ... Ain't we all the Messenger Plus-guru's around here.
You all know exactly what Messenger Plus and it's 'sponsors' do ... and know exactly how to avoid the problem that come with it :P

You know what the problem is?
While you all exactly seem to know (but so desperately want the world to ignore) about the adware, PUSHED by Messenger Plus, it seems that you all try very hard to forget the main reason why this LOP-infection still can be PUSHED onto a lot of computers ...
People, like in 'just the normal internet-user', don't realise what they are downloading!
People (especially younger people, to wich Messenger Plus is very appealing) don't have a clue about the things LOP will do to the computer!
They all just see a great extention for their favorite chat-program ...

Option one: Install the sponsor program (Thank You!)
Option two: I refuse to give my support, don't install the sponsor.

These are the option, when someone (young, old, experienced or completely new at it) installs Messenger Plus.
Be fair ... those are no real options for the average user, wich give it's trust to the maker of the program.
Offcourse they want to help! Offcourse they will install the sponsor! They will only help the maker of this great Messenger-tool.
What can go wrong ............... :-(

I have (besides the uncountable people i had to help on several help-forums) removed Messenger Plus and it's 'sponsors' on noumerous occasions in my own family and from computers from friends and neighbours.
So, please don't say that it's, in any way, minor or that it's not so bad, because IT IS BAD AND NOT MINOR AT ALL!

... and now, some of you probably will say that it is the responsibility of the user ... they should be more carefull (as you did numerous times, allready).
ERROR!! The only one that is responsible, is the one that is PUSHING the LOP-infection.

Don't try to deny it and don't try to make it right. There is NO RIGHT in PUSHING MALWARE ... never!

jahewi :-)
10-09-2006 09:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
|-) Can I have this round to beat the poor dead pony?

I think some people are just so damn paranoid that they might actually believe the adware will pop out of their ass, instead of on the screen. What do you mean it will screw up your computer? It's just software! Uninstall, format. But don't think it's the death of anyone.

There's the thing about being professional. Whoever gave Cyril the MVP award is an idiot, because if they gave it to him, they should have known about the adware. And if they did, and didn't care until other people complained, they are simply hypocrits. And it just proves that it really doesn't mean anything to be an MVP. Because it's something that can be easily be taken so that the majority MVPs are happy with "Microsoft" (or whatever sub-division is in charge of that).

That's all. :P

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

10-09-2006 09:10 PM
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
Are these threads EVER gonna get closed?

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by jahewi
I have (besides the uncountable people i had to help on several help-forums) removed Messenger Plus and it's 'sponsors' on noumerous occasions in my own family and from computers from friends and neighbours.
So, please don't say that it's, in any way, minor or that it's not so bad, because IT IS BAD AND NOT MINOR AT ALL!

Wow. Go you. I'm an op on the IRC ("Live Chat") help channel, and spend waaaay too much time helping people. VERY few people have problems with the sponsor, and any that do have no problems whatsoever with going to add/remove programs and removing the sponsor there. I'm guessing a ton of newbs who think they're security experts are suggesting numerous adware/spyware removers, which fucks up the uninstaller (just reinstall WITH the sponsor then uninstall again).

PS: adware, spyware, malware = three ENTIRELY different things.

This post was edited on 10-09-2006 at 09:13 PM by ayjay.
10-09-2006 09:12 PM
Pages: (13): « First « 5 6 7 8 [ 9 ] 10 11 12 13 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: