What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!

Pages: (13): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Congratulations Patchou on becoming an MVP!
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Full backup of the topic, its unclear to me too why the topic was removed.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

quote:
Originally posted by Subratam
Yes it maybe optional , but a 8 year old doesnt understand what is optional and what is not, he would go and install complete one in his computer and then start facing all sort of troubles he didnt even dream of. One can say thats not fault of programmer if user dont understand or read , yes but the associations of such softwares with msgrplus does exist optional or not.

I don't know a single parent who lets their 8 year old speak on IM clients, let alone a parent that allows them to install software on their computer without the consent, that's just silly.

People should really chill out a bit...

When you install Windows Live Messenger, what do you get, you get an entire area where it says "install the toolbar, install the icons, make msn your default homepage etc" this is all for money, it's doing the exact same thing as what the messenger plus! live bundled sponsor program is doing, so are you now going to go mental at Microsoft for their optional items that you can install? No I didn't think so.

If Messenger Plus! created it's own toolbar etc. then I don't think it would be as much of an issue, people need to see it for what it is. In the end, Microsoft is worst than Patchou when it comes to advertising, and it always will be.
10-08-2006 09:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Undecided  hmmmm....
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No they don't take up valuable space. They have every right to say their opinion too about the matter, just as we have every right to defend and/or reply in their forums/blogs. Deleting that other thread was not good either for that same reason.

They do when they post stuff, quoting it as true when they don't really have a clue, as you said yourself. If I ever had myself in a respectable position like that, I would make sure that I didn't look like a complete noob by researching the thing I was talking about rather than going on generalisations given by everybody else. I also wanted the other thread to stay open as the points already covered by it will now just be reiterated in this thread (will this one get deleted then? :p) As I stated earlier (may have been deleted ^o)), MS bundles software in with their own installations and the OS even comes with "Alexa"... Should we boycott MS products because of this? No, we carry on, CHOOSING not to install things we don't want (such as during the WLM installation as someone pointed out).

If there are people out there who think it is too much effort to click "I refuse to give my support" then they deserve to have the sponsor installed. I always install the sponsor and it does not EVER bother me. I don't care if I get a few ads every so often. One day, you might just find something you want ;)

The thing that really gets me about all of this? It's not even the users of MP!L that are complaining about this, they're happy. It's only people that don't use MP!L that seem to be complaining about a thing.

The only time I've ever seen problems with the removal of the sponsor is when someone used an "adware tool" to remove it rather than following the correct procedure, a procedure that is clearly stated on this very site I might add. I think it was an MS program that did this by the way. MS causing problems with itself again 8-)

I've seen you also post complaining that just the very fact that the installer has the adware bundled with it makes the program a "security risk" or "potentially dangerous". Installers do not launch themselves. The only things installed are what the user chooses.

I've had many different types of virii and *-ware on my PC over the past few years. Things like Look2Me and "WinAntiVirus 2000" as well as browser hijacks and right now a message has popped up for "Adware.L.ptiew.A" being found on my PC. I can safely say that I'd rather have this sponsor installed than have one of those. This LOP can't be that bad really can it if I notice those other things more ^o)

In cases such as this, people always believe they are right and there is never going to be a "agree to disagree" situation. Things will always turn out one way or another. The way this is gonna turn out is that you may challenge the idea of the sponsor program as much as you like, but the users will still WILLINGLY download the software and keep MP!L alive.

If I asked my Contact List on WLM what an MVP was, they wouldn't have a clue. If I asked them what MP!L was, they would all know that it's THE add-on for WLM. Not an add on, the add on. If I asked them what LOP was they wouldn't know or care for the simple fact that they will never NEED to know. There is always the case for saying that the installer could better identify what the program is and does.

As for somebody posting a log of changes to the system after installation of the sponsor program (other thread?), thats what happens during an installation of any program :S I don't quite know what you were supposed to be getting at.

So MVPs, if you're truly interested in "security risks", why don't you help finish patching up all the weaknesses in Windows XP for example and possiby even safety issues in WLM itself, before needlessly attacking a reputable brand.

If any of this doesn't make sense, it's quite late and I'm tired |-)

MenthiX, you can check my language again if you like :p I think it's acceptable this time
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
10-08-2006 10:03 PM
Atribune

quote:
When you install Windows Live Messenger, what do you get, you get an entire area where it says "install the toolbar, install the icons, make msn your default homepage etc" this is all for money, it's doing the exact same thing as what the messenger plus! live bundled sponsor program is doing, so are you now going to go mental at Microsoft for their optional items that you can install? No I didn't think so.

It's not quite the same, when you let Windows Live Messenger install its toolbar, icons and set your homepage it isn't downloading malware to your computer.  If Windows Live Messenger were installing malware we would all be against it as well.

I think Microsoft's final decision to remove Patchou from the MVP program had to do more with the fact that he is a company officer for C2Media and not just because he bundles Lop with Messenger Plus.

Him being a part of a company that produces malware and being an MVP would not look good for Microsoft.

An oversight like this for MS is terrible and it should have never happened, but it did and removing Patchou from the MVP program was MS's only recourse.

Atribune
10-08-2006 10:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

Why do people keep saying that patchou is a c2media officer, he really is not a c2media officer! Please to god listen to what we say and stop try to call us "patchou's posse".
10-08-2006 10:07 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Atribune
It's not quite the same, when you let Windows Live Messenger install its toolbar, icons and set your homepage it isn't downloading malware to your computer.  If Windows Live Messenger were installing malware we would all be against it as well.

except plus' sponsor isn't malware?

quote:
I think Microsoft's final decision to remove Patchou from the MVP program had to do more with the fact that he is a company officer for C2Media and not just because he bundles Lop with Messenger Plus.

no, they removed him because people bitched and moaned and whined. microsoft really didnt care if his program had adware -- they've done worse.'

This post was edited on 10-08-2006 at 10:07 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-08-2006 10:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
I was gonna post this in the other thread, but meh;

Hey, all you little freaks who are joining just to have a whinge?

Go. Cry. Somewhere. Else.

Patchou isn't greedy, or evil, or underhanded, or whatever. So shut the hell up. You're making me think you're all jealous, then you'll come back and whine again; "we're not jealous, Patchou is evil, blahblahblah", and that'll just reinforce the fact that you most probably are.

When I was younger, I installed Messenger Plus! with the sponsor program. It didn't do a single thing to my computer. It's adware, btw, NOT malware. Do you think Messenger Plus! would still be alive if all those people who supported it, and installed the sponsor to support Patchou were actually getting screwed up computers? It wouldn't be around if it was harmful.8-) Use those things called brains, that I surely hope you have.*

*on the massive chance you don't have a brain, may I suggest you go out into the world and invest in one? Thanks.

Oh, and I love the "making users time on the net a misery is really beyond me" comment. Ah yes, all those people who have installed it by accident, or otherwise, are really getting depression, and sobbing over their keyboards, I suppose? Have you spoken to any one of them? Who are you to speak for the rest of the internet?

Ciao.

I apologise to the lovely regular members of this forum for my rudeness, and also somewhat to those others who registered just because of this incident, who put across their points politely, but to the rest of you, you need to stfu.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
10-08-2006 10:08 PM
Atribune

I said nothing about "patchou's posse"

As for him not being a company officer why do they list him as one?
http://www.sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe?a1=DETFI...SECURESOFTWARE&r5=

quote:
except plus' sponsor isn't malware?

It isn't? Then why does almost every antimalware application detect it  as malware?
10-08-2006 10:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:

It isn't? Then why does almost every antimalware application detect it  as malware?

oh, now i get why your posts were so misinformed. antimalware applications think for you.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-08-2006 10:15 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:

Because it's people like you that make the software? ^o)

Software is only as "smart" as it programmers, sums it all up don't it?
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
10-08-2006 10:16 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
As for him not being a company officer why do they list him as one?
http://www.sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe?a1=DETFI...SECURESOFTWARE&r5=

Interesting, I quote from the site you linked to:
quote:
Status
INACTIVE
Any other real proof?
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-08-2006 10:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (13): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »