What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Jack Straw - Muslim Veils Y/N? Your Views?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
Poll: Agree or Disagree
Agree
Disagree
Both/Undecided
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Jack Straw - Muslim Veils Y/N? Your Views?
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Jack Straw - Muslim Veils Y/N? Your Views?
Yeah, I have no issues with them only covering their hair, but if it covers their eyes, nose and mouth, then it's inappropriate.
10-07-2006 11:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
FrozenDaggers

I shoot people.

35 / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Jack Straw - Muslim Veils Y/N? Your Views?
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Yeah, I have no issues with them only covering their hair, but if it covers their eyes, nose and mouth, then it's inappropriate.

As I said... it's extremly rare.
10-07-2006 11:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
It's a part of their culture/religion/whatever. You just cant go against them, it's stupid. They can wear whatever they want.. i agree that for must of us it's weird, but it's the way they see the world. you cant expect them to stop doing it cause we dont like it. It's as if at some point they decided that underwear is bad and expected us to stop wearing them too (it's a silly example but you get the idea).
quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers

It's not to hide their identity, although it might seem that way to you. They feel 'protected' from the eyes of men. It makes them feel safer. And it's their religion. What harm does it cause anyway?
quote:
IMO I think it's ridiculous and plain ignorance.
agreed

This post was edited on 10-07-2006 at 11:37 PM by Chrono.
10-07-2006 11:35 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:

What is extremtly rare?

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
It's a part of their culture/religion/whatever. You just cant go against them, it's stupid. They can wear whatever they want.. i agree that for must of us it's weird, but it's the way they see the world. you cant expect them to stop doing it cause we dont like it. It's as if at some point they decided that underwear is bad and expected us to stop wearing them too (it's a silly example but you get the idea).

Well in a time like this, they should see the world as it is now, not what it was hundreds of years ago, they need to adapt.
10-07-2006 11:56 PM
FrozenDaggers

I shoot people.

35 / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Jack Straw - Muslim Veils Y/N? Your Views?
quote:
quote:

What is extremtly rare?

quote:

Well in a time like this, they should see the world as it is now, not what it was hundreds of years ago, they need to adapt.

To see the full Burkha.

And why should they adapt. We should just adapt to accepting other cultures.
10-08-2006 12:03 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

What I'm saying is, why should we have to adapt when THEY chose to come HERE?!
10-08-2006 12:05 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
cause they have no choise basically :P (i mean, i bet there are way more oportunities in england than in arabai, and that mightent be necesarily their own fault 8-))
10-08-2006 12:08 AM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time
Jack Straw is right. For those who don't know who he is don't be so retarded and GOOGLE HIM. Simple.

I can understand why he would like them not to wear veils in meetings, it is very disconcerting to see an inch wide slit of someone's face when discussing something with them. That's just a practicality. Also, in some Arabic countries they are rarely worn so implying it is a custom they brought with them is pretty stupid. Next, recently a BBC newsreader was disciplined for wearing a crucifix whilst presenting the news because it might offend Muslims etc. - tell me how that is fair. The issue of it being for weather purposes (breezy, sandy) is moot since it is neither of those when INSIDE during a meeting. Finally, when someone western visits an Arabic country drinking alcohol is forbidden, wearing a bikini in public is forbidden, basically we are forced to obey their codes of conduct. Well, hey, this is England not Arabia - so obey OUR codes of conduct.

jus out of intrest... who do you vote for?
10-08-2006 12:43 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
quote:
cause they have no choise basically :P (i mean, i bet there are way more oportunities in england than in arabai, and that mightent be necesarily their own fault 8-))
Well they should see England for what it is now rather than what it used to be, in the few years their opportunities will decrease and they'll be forced to do stuff against their religion, it's what will happen, they have to obide by our laws if they're in our country. They can't come to our country expecting to bring their laws over here and say "this is a muslim area, stay out" (which is exactly what a heckler said at one of Jack Straw's speeches. How does that heckler have the right to say that, it's not their area, it's the governments area?!

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
quote:
Jack Straw is right. For those who don't know who he is don't be so retarded and GOOGLE HIM. Simple.

I can understand why he would like them not to wear veils in meetings, it is very disconcerting to see an inch wide slit of someone's face when discussing something with them. That's just a practicality. Also, in some Arabic countries they are rarely worn so implying it is a custom they brought with them is pretty stupid. Next, recently a BBC newsreader was disciplined for wearing a crucifix whilst presenting the news because it might offend Muslims etc. - tell me how that is fair. The issue of it being for weather purposes (breezy, sandy) is moot since it is neither of those when INSIDE during a meeting. Finally, when someone western visits an Arabic country drinking alcohol is forbidden, wearing a bikini in public is forbidden, basically we are forced to obey their codes of conduct. Well, hey, this is England not Arabia - so obey OUR codes of conduct.

Probably BNP, just like I will when I'm old enough to vote.
10-08-2006 09:18 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno

It's a secret ballot for a reason. Heh.

quote:

This just underlines my point about how they enforce their ideals on us with a totalitarian brutality when we visit Arabic countries. Wear a bikini in Dubai? End up in prison! Drink alcohol in public in Iran? Lose your hands! Oh, sure, embrace a multicultural stance on the world but double standards are just plain ignorant. So, yes, they expect us to stop eating bacon because they don't like it. But, Jack Straw wants to be able to see the people he is discussing issues with in meetings and they hold protests and cry that their way of life is being attacked and denigrated.

I love all the hypocrisy that a lot of Muslims exude. Take the tiny faux pas the Pope made the other week: basically a sly jab about how Islam is a violent religion... so what do they do? Attack embassies and lynch Christians in an outburst saying "we're not violent" - irony much? The problem I have with it is that they travel all this way to live in this country, specifically THIS country, because we offer welfare, a stable state and we're tolerant of other cultures; yet once they get here they do not offer any sacrifice to conform to our way of life screaming that their culture is superior and they insist upon thinking of themselves as Muslims and not British citizens. Well, sorry, but that is an abhorrent logic.

It is a simple courtesy to remove a veil for important meetings; as simple a courtesy as not eating bacon whilst on holiday in an Arabic country. But, hey, if they want to blow themselves up over being asked to not wear a piece of cloth for an hour a day in a meeting then they deserve all the prejudice and discrimination they have engendered towards themselves over the years. Props to a society that encourages teenagers to become sick 'martyrs' in some cause that is so buried in tradition, superstition and false religion that they cannot see beyond the mirage in the sand.

They're my exact views on it all, it's the height of all hypocracy!
10-08-2006 09:52 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: