What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt

[URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
...maybe "cd 'My Documents'" "copy AAA.doc A:\"?

my documents give invalid directory:(
because that command makes no sense :p

see "CookieRevised's reply to [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt"

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
hey dempsey its windows 98, so it doesnt have the documents and settings bit.... i think:S
it does... only there is a possebility that your command prompt will show everything in 8.3 format and not in long file names.

Everything works the same in 8.3 format, only names are shorter (max 8 characters long and max 3 characters for the extension)...

So start at your root, which is C:   :
c:      thanks to shawnz for notifying about the mistake
cd \

next, list the directories in the root:
dir *. /p

now you'll see a bunch of directories, go to the "Documents and Settings" directory (or whatever equivalent it is in 98, don't remember). If it is 8.3 format, it would be something like this:
cd docume~1

again show the list of directories:
dir *. /p

Now go to your user name:
cd myname

Do again a list of directories:
dir *. /p

You now should see the "my documents" folder, so go to it:
cd mydocu~1

of course your path to "my documents" can be different (I used "c:\documents and settings\myname\my documents" for the example, but the way to get there just the same stuff...)

This post was edited on 10-08-2006 at 09:42 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-08-2006 09:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:17 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by ins4ne on 10-08-2006 at 09:19 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by ShawnZ on 10-08-2006 at 09:20 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:21 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by Dempsey on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by ins4ne on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM
RE: RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2006 at 09:32 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by ShawnZ on 10-08-2006 at 09:37 PM
RE: RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by CookieRevised on 10-08-2006 at 09:41 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by ShawnZ on 10-08-2006 at 09:46 PM
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:53 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: