What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Peer-to-peer connection

Peer-to-peer connection
Author: Message:
p23185

O.P. Peer-to-peer connection
I want to open a high speed connection to transfer a large file between two facilities that both have high speed cable internet from same supplier.  They recommended I use ICQ since it was supposed to offer a direct peer-to-peer capability.  When I set it up and tried it the best tranfer speed I could get was 64K/sec - about the same as I get running the data file through MSM messenger "send file" option, which I am told has to travel through the MSN server.  Anyone know if such a ISP connection is possible?  Both facilities are behind routers but that should not present a problem - the cable service advertises download speed of 7Mbps (but I cannot find the advertised upload speed) but upload has to be faster than 64K/sec.  Both locations use Win XP.
10-29-2006 04:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Peer-to-peer connection
quote:
Originally posted by p23185
Both facilities are behind routers but that should not present a problem

That is the problem. If both computers are behind routers, neither of them will be able to connect to each other (re: port forwarding) and therefore they have to use the IM server to transfer the file. Also, MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger also has the functionality to transfer files directly, but it's having the same problem as ICQ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-29-2006 04:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
p23185

O.P. RE: Peer-to-peer connection
Soooo, if no routers and direct connection from the ISP to PC, would it speed up to around 500Kbps?  Actually I recorded 5.9Mbps download and 500Kbps upload using the broadband test, but that was through the router.  ??
10-29-2006 04:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Peer-to-peer connection
quote:
Originally posted by p23185
Soooo, if no routers and direct connection from the ISP to PC, would it speed up to around 500Kbps?  Actually I recorded 5.9Mbps download and 500Kbps upload using the broadband test, but that was through the router.  ??

The broadband test uses a different port, which the router allows. MSN uses a different range of ports, which might be blocked. If both users have access to the router config, they can forward the ports needed.
[Image: signature.php]
10-29-2006 08:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: