What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » need help finding the right mobo + gpu

need help finding the right mobo + gpu
Author: Message:
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
O.P. need help finding the right mobo + gpu
i'd like to find the cheapest gpu + mobo (cuz its so crappy its agp not pcie) so that it would support vista glass and hopefully have better performance in 3d games (like nfs mw/carbon). and in the title it says the right ones because i want it work with current cpu

current gpu is nvidia geforce 400 i believe

[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

so please help because i'm tired of using this piece of crap everyday (6)

pweeeeeese!
[Image: red_cat.thumb.jpg]

This post was edited on 12-05-2006 at 01:54 AM by Supersonicdarky.
12-05-2006 01:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu
I'd suggest getting a new processor with that because if you want cheap then don't expect any quality or big changes.
12-05-2006 03:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
Heres the predicament: Your stuff is old, all of your technology has been replaced.
Socket 754 -> is now socket AM2 for AMD and Lga775 for Intel, so your processor would not be compatible with a new motherboard. (And you'll be hard pressed finding a 754 motherboard nowadays)
DDR memory is now replaced mostly by DDR2, which is not backwards compatible so your memory most likely would NOT be compatible with a new motherboard.
AGP graphics -> Most new graphics cards are being built on PCI-express which is incomputable, and it would be hard to get a new graphics card for your old (current) motherboard.

Your best bet would be to buy a new system at this point, but you'll have a hard time getting something really cheap if you want performance and quality.

Anybody else have any input?
12-05-2006 03:35 AM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu
wow, its shittier than i thought [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

my dad wont want to get rid that one, unless i turn it into a downloading machine. And i dont need super performance, just so it would have latest technology support (like d3d10 and all the pixel shader crap)
12-05-2006 04:30 AM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
If your looking for directx 10, the graphics card alone will set you back $600 + USD.
12-05-2006 04:33 AM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
You wil need a new Motherboard, i have a 754 socket, I brought new RAM and everything a few months ago, then i found out that i wont be able to use it in my Core 2 Duo based PC i am building atm :sad:

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i dont need super performance
If i was you id go for a Intel Pentium D similar to this
1GB ram
Obviously a motherboard :p
and a nVidia 7300GS, i have that and it works with all the vista affects.
12-05-2006 04:41 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
For a GPU, I'd suggest a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (or a GS if you want to save some money). If you have an even tighter budget, goto NVIDIA's site and look at the vista capable GPU list and choose one for your needs :)

For a mobo, I would like to say that a 975 series mobo by ABIT is good but that again is quite costly I believe.

If you really want a processor, E6600 wins :P but that isn't cheap either. It comes upto what you want and what you can afford. Thats all :P I dislike Pentium D's because they are midrange step up processors to the core 2 duo's imo. Conroe > * ;)

And oh, 1 GB of ddr2 ram and you're all ready ;)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
12-05-2006 06:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: need help finding the right mobo + gpu
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
For a GPU, I'd suggest a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (or a GS if you want to save some money). If you have an even tighter budget, goto NVIDIA's site and look at the vista capable GPU list and choose one for your needs :)

For a mobo, I would like to say that a 975 series mobo by ABIT is good but that again is quite costly I believe.

If you really want a processor, E6600 wins :P but that isn't cheap either. It comes upto what you want and what you can afford. Thats all :P I dislike Pentium D's because they are midrange step up processors to the core 2 duo's imo. Conroe > * ;)

And oh, 1 GB of ddr2 ram and you're all ready ;)

That would be my recommendations too.  I've hard some great things about the E6600 and E6400 (especially with a half decent cooling system).  Both processors are probably best value for money atm.

For you GPU this link shows all of nVidia's Vista compatible GPU's (I'm assuming that means they can run aero but I'm not entirely sure).

And as JA said you really do want the 1GB of RAM, and really it has come down a lot in price lately so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Although this does end up more expensive then what you were initially planning, I think you will probably need to cover more than the minimum specs when it comes to a Windows OS as I'm sure you are aware with XP and the likes.
[Image: markee.png]
12-05-2006 06:50 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: