What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!??

Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!??
Author: Message:
Chookers

O.P. RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!??
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No, true parental control like you whish isn't available either in Messenger Plus! Live. It would actually not be very bullet-proof either as you could simply not run Messenger Plus! when you use MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger, so there is little point adding it too. The log system still works in the same way, btw.

If you want parental control I suggest to use special designed programs for that which run on top of everything and give your child only access to certain things. Some parental control programs also log internet data traffic (no matter what IM program you use to chat), keystrokes, etc.

The line between a good parental program and spyware/keyboard loggers is actually very thin though :p
quote:
But that will only work if your child is young and doesnt know how to disable the chatlogging.
quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
If you are reading your children's chatlogs i suggest you tell them this because it is quite unfair to do so without their knowledge. think of it this way, if they found out some time in the future that you were reading them they would probably hate you. Now you don't want that to happen do you...

Thanks all.  Looks like a keylogger type program may be the way to go.  The children are old enough and all of them savvy enough with computers to turn off logging on a per conversation basis.

I agree with all the comments everyone has made about privacy but having had one child involved in something he didn't realise was wrong and only sheer accident alerted me to the problem, and another child (which I had forgotten when I posted this) bullied by a fellow school child saying that his whole family wished he was dead, and knowing how children will hide things because they feel guilty even though they are not at fault (I know I did as a child when I had a teacher who was a bully), I intend to keep a stricter eye on what is going on.

For a long time I held the opinion, and held it pretty firmly, that parents shouldn't read children's diaries, etc.  However, having found out what was going on and that this put my child at serious physical risk, I discovered that when my kids are at risk, my attitude underwent a complete change and I now think we are stupid and wrong to hold privacy as a stronger priority than protecting them.  It wasn't something I sat down and considered when my child was at risk; I just suddenly saw things very differently and although they will still be given the same respect they always were, I will be making regular checks of how things are going and if I see signs that worry me, I'll be checking things I normally wouldn't.  There is a fair degree of trust between my children and I but as I know only too well, children don't always realise when it is in their best interests to tell you things.

I know I have "rambled" a bit on this part but it was quite a scare and I just want to share my thoughts in the hope that it may help other parents to possibly reconsider their position on this for the sake of their children.  I have two younger ones who I don't want ending up in the same danger so things are changing around here.

And yes, if there isn't a good relationship in the first place, your child certainly won't accept you breaching their privacy.  My child was initially angry but is now okay with it and actually thankful that I found out what was happening because they can now see the dangers.  As I said before, they will still be given their privacy but also protection is being put in place.  What they write in a diary is one thing - what happens on the internet  where other people are involved is another.

Thanks again, all.
12-07-2006 04:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by Chookers on 12-07-2006 at 01:34 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by CookieRevised on 12-07-2006 at 01:49 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by Rolando on 12-07-2006 at 02:30 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by azn angel on 12-07-2006 at 03:19 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by Chookers on 12-07-2006 at 04:23 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by Adeptus on 12-07-2006 at 05:42 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by NiteMare on 12-07-2006 at 06:02 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by Andromeda on 12-07-2006 at 02:03 PM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by andrewdodd13 on 12-07-2006 at 04:20 PM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by newbiesecurity on 12-08-2006 at 05:47 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by NiteMare on 12-08-2006 at 07:22 AM
RE: Parental Control & Chat Logging - child can override!!?? - by CookieRevised on 12-08-2006 at 02:14 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: