What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » weird programs, help

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
weird programs, help
Author: Message:
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: weird programs, help
It's interesting to note that nobody has linked to this thread, Started and maintained by Patchou himself, which explains how to remove the sponsor program.

If after removing the sponsor program, using the method in the thread I linked to above, deosn't help then try using some of the other methods listed above.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 01:01 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
12-30-2006 01:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: weird programs
quote:
Originally posted by ThePerson
I installed msgplus with sponser a while ago, and now there are weird programs running all over the place.
what version of Plus! was this btw?

quote:
I followed part of the uninstall sponser instructions, and when I choose remove the sponser it ran:
"C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Dead math bend\SendErrorWeb.exe",
which opened internet explorer, and that internet explorer asked me to type some numbers (which I couldn't read very well, I tried again a few times, but it went away). Now there is no option to uninstall the sponser program.
Install Plus! again, WITH the sponsor program. You must enter the numbers correctly to uninstall it properly..

quote:
Is there a stand alone uninstaller for the sponser program?

The sponsor uninstall run by Plus! IS the standalone version. Plus! itself does not contain any sponsor related material, only the standalone installer, and standalone uninstaller.

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i had something similar to this. Just delete the files (you may need to unlock them with unlocker) and kill the ie processes after that.
please don't...

The files come from the sponsor program of Plus! And to properly uninstall the sponsor run the uninstaller.

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Cant you sys restore to before that day? :S
Never use system restore to "roll back" an installation of a program. System Restore is not a magical backup tool. It is meant for when Windows doesn't start up properly anymore and other severe things...

You can use it to roll back a program, but _only_ if you explicitly made a restore point _right before_ you installed the program.

System restore will restore more than just the program files, it is called 'system' restore because it mostly rolls back system files. And many of those files are constantly changed by simple Windows usage.

In other words, using system restore to roll back a program will most likely roll back more things than you want, especially if it is some days old.

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
Try download some mal-ware, adware and spyware sanners
Windows defender
Ad-aware
Spybot search and destroy
do scans with them and if it doesnt find any we know its not that :P

No, to properly uninstall the sponsor you need to run the uninstaller from Plus!. In almost all cases, anti-virus software do not remove the sponsor completely (eventhough you wont 'see' it anymore popping up) or do more damage.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
As for the things running on your computer, I highly doubt that this is the sponsor.

No-one has told me yet where the sponser program installs, what it is named, or any other identifying information about it. Could I get some details?
You can read the detailed info in the EULA of the sponsor, which is presented to you when you install Plus!.

The sponsor is from C2Media which provides ads... (note: ads, not spyware!)

To all the other people in this thread: those files ARE from the sponsor, they are ads from the affiliates of C2Media. Please do not claim it is impossible that they come from the sponsor.

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
It's interesting to note that nobody has linked to this thread, Started and maintained by Patchou himself, which explains how to remove the sponsor program.

If after removing the sponsor program, using the method in the thread I linked to above, deosn't help then try using some of the other methods listed above.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 02:53 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-30-2006 02:34 AM
ThePerson

O.P. RE: RE: RE: weird programs
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
I installed msgplus with sponser a while ago, and now there are weird programs running all over the place.
what version of Plus! was this btw?

3 for windows 98.
quote:
quote:
I followed part of the uninstall sponser instructions, and when I choose remove the sponser it ran:
"C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Dead math bend\SendErrorWeb.exe",
which opened internet explorer, and that internet explorer asked me to type some numbers (which I couldn't read very well, I tried again a few times, but it went away). Now there is no option to uninstall the sponser program.
Install Plus! again, WITH the sponsor program. You must enter the numbers correctly to uninstall it properly..
And what are people who have trouble reading messed up letters like that supposed to do? Enter the letters wrong too many times and the sponser program forgets it's installed. That's not in any guide I can find.
quote:
quote:
Is there a stand alone uninstaller for the sponser program?

The sponsor uninstall run by Plus! IS the standalone version. Plus! itself does not contain any sponsor related material, only the standalone installer, and standalone uninstaller.

Ok, but I mean, why did I have to re-install the sponser program just because it forgot it was installed (it didn't forget to show ads). What I wanted was an uninstaller that I didn't have to go through 9 steps to activate.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
i had something similar to this. Just delete the files (you may need to unlock them with unlocker) and kill the ie processes after that.
please don't...

The files come from the sponsor program of Plus! And to properly uninstall the sponsor run the uninstaller.

Ok, why does the sponser program have to install into more than 5 non-standard folders named with random words, and they have no labels indicating where they came from and why they are there? Why are there at least 10 unique programs? Why do they start 2 copies of internet exploerer that have no windows and operate out of those rather than just continuing to run? (trying to obscure their presence?)

Why doesn't it install to
"c:\program files\c2 media advertising\"
and having a single program called c2media.exe that shows the ads and uninstalc2media.exe as the uninstaller?

quote:
quote:
No-one has told me yet where the sponser program installs, what it is named, or any other identifying information about it. Could I get some details?
You can read the detailed info in the EULA of the sponsor, which is presented to you when you install Plus!.

The sponsor is from C2Media which provides ads... (note: ads, not spyware!)

To all the other people in this thread: those files ARE from the sponsor, they are ads from the affiliates of C2Media. Please do not claim it is impossible that they come from the sponsor.

Ok, why aren't the programs labled? How is anyone supposed to know what these unmarked randomly named randomly placed programs are?

Having the answers to all these questions would be quite satisfying, and would also probibly be useful to other forum goers.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 03:58 AM by ThePerson.
12-30-2006 03:56 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: weird programs
quote:

incase you haven't been caught up to speed or searched around a bit, the Sponsor program Patchou uses has been heavily and I mean heavily modified so that it does a few things;

* tries to cause less hassles when removing it

* so it's not as damaging to the computer as the REAL adware program is

* so that it doesn't start to interfere in the day-to-day usage of Messenger and Messenger Plus! unlike other programs

So this is why you Need to reinstall Plus! with the sponsor program and then remove it again using the Plus! uninstaller, failure to do so will mean more trouble in the long run.

Now please let's just use a little common sense and stop arguing and just get on with what needs to be done to rectify the problem. All this continual arguing is going to continue to get us no where.
12-30-2006 04:14 AM
ThePerson

O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: weird programs
quote:
quote:

incase you haven't been caught up to speed or searched around a bit, the Sponsor program Patchou uses has been heavily and I mean heavily modified so that it does a few things;

I'm way out of the loop here, what is the "REAL adware program"?

Causes less hassels than what?

quote:
So this is why you Need to reinstall Plus! with the sponsor program and then remove it again using the Plus! uninstaller, failure to do so will mean more trouble in the long run.

Now please let's just use a little common sense and stop arguing and just get on with what needs to be done to rectify the problem. All this continual arguing is going to continue to get us no where.
Oh, sorry, I got caught up in my reply and forgot to mention that the uninstaller worked when I enventualy managed to get to it; my original reason for coming back now was to post that I was successful (go distracted from that asking quesitons). Now that that's out of the way, my reasons for posting are curiousity about how/why the sponser program is how it is.

Also, who is arguing? I was just asking questions I wanted to know the answers to.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 04:22 AM by ThePerson.
12-30-2006 04:20 AM
Adeptus

RE: weird programs, help
quote:
And what are people who have trouble reading messed up letters like that supposed to do? Enter the letters wrong too many times and the sponser program forgets it's installed. That's not in any guide I can find.
There is obviously no legitimate purpose whatsoever in requiring one to solve a CAPTCHA to uninstall something.  You are completely justified in being annoyed by such nonsense, just as I would be.  This "feature" is clearly there for the sole reason to make the adware more difficult to uninstall; however, I would suspect that is part of C2Media process and not Messenger Plus!.
quote:
I'm way out of the loop here, what is the "REAL adware program"? Causes less hassels than what?
Reading through some of the results of this Google search should answer those questions.
quote:
Now that that's out of the way, my reasons for posting are curiousity about how/why the sponser program is how it is.
The obvious answer there is that the purpose of the "sponsor program" is to annoy the user with advertising.  C2Media is paid by advertisers to deliver the ads, so they don't want you to be able to get rid of them easily (thus the captcha and multiple install locations with obscure names).  Patchou is paid by C2Media to deliver their adware, which is his means of receiving some revenue from otherwise free software. 

To Patchou's credit, you are offered a choice when installing Messenger Plus! and it is said the adware is tuned down a bit -- that is uncommon and a lot nicer than the handling of this in other adware-sponsored products.  Now that you've managed to exorcise the "sponsor", my only recommendation would be to take care to not choose to install it in the future. 

If you like the Messenger Plus! program and wish to compensate Patchou without suffering adware, perhaps someone else here can suggest some alternative means of doing that.
12-30-2006 05:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: weird programs
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm way out of the loop here, what is the "REAL adware program"?

Causes less hassels than what?

The real adware program (from experience) has caused computers to crash and one computer I had to conduct service to during work placement couldn't even load up the operating system, and from memory the owner just said do anything you can to recover my computer. And all because of C2Media's real adware program and not Messenger Plus!'s version

quote:
quote:

Oh, sorry, I got caught up in my reply and forgot to mention that the uninstaller worked when I enventualy managed to get to it; my original reason for coming back now was to post that I was successful (go distracted from that asking quesitons). Now that that's out of the way, my reasons for posting are curiousity about how/why the sponser program is how it is.

Also, who is arguing? I was just asking questions I wanted to know the answers to.

The fact of the matter is you seem to be firing questions when a solution to the problem was provided, and yet still want to question why it's the case, as Adeptus has just shown a little goggling doesn't go astray.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 05:09 AM by MattyRid.
12-30-2006 05:06 AM
ThePerson

O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: weird programs
quote:
The fact of the matter is you seem to be firing questions when a solution to the problem was provided, and yet still want to question why it's the case, as Adeptus has just shown a little goggling doesn't go astray.
Yea, I think I have gotten a little misdirected as to who I should be asking these questions to, I realize now that I should be asking this "Patchou" guy or the c2 media guys. I really don't know how to go about contacting either.

I could have put up with pop-up now and then in exchange for using msgplus. But with all these randomly named programs running all about I wouldn't even be able to keep track of what is happening on my system. I also seem to be prevented from fully exiting internet explorer.

What would be the best way to go about talking Patchou and getting his point of view on all this?
12-30-2006 06:14 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: weird programs
quote:
quote:
Yea, I think I have gotten a little misdirected as to who I should be asking these questions to, I realize now that I should be asking this "Patchou" guy or the c2 media guys. I really don't know how to go about contacting either.

I could have put up with pop-up now and then in exchange for using msgplus. But with all these randomly named programs running all about I wouldn't even be able to keep track of what is happening on my system. I also seem to be prevented from fully exiting internet explorer.

What would be the best way to go about talking Patchou and getting his point of view on all this?

It' not a matter of getting opinions here....what I'm saying is reasons and solutions where provided yet you wanted to be firing back on what grounds? Granted that you were a bit frustrated but common sense should prevail, and if it doesn't something is wrong. Now as to contacting Patchou (if you still see a need to) from memory there is an email address but it's slipped my memory as I'm about to go and eat:P so maybe a little searching or even see if you can try and PM him (however, I think he has got PM's disabled).
12-30-2006 06:20 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: