What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Treat the forum like a real community

Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
Treat the forum like a real community
Author: Message:
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Treat the forum like a real community
It did get slightly better after traxor's rant, however, it has once again degraded.

In this case, flaming is like peer pressure. Someone with a reasonable post count starts, and everyone does too to avoid negs (or their mentality thinks something along the lines of that). It a hard situation to deal with, and I come in contact with it first hand (peer mediation!!). It's an inevitable situation.
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
Look, I don't enjoy having to be the one to say it, but if you aren't happy, how about reporting the posts instead of making this useless thread in the first place.

However, getting one of these periodically make us think about our actions, and perhaps correct those mistakes that we have made. We all have made mistakes before. But we need to know what they are and how to correct them. So this kinda thread triggers that thought.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6557 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes, 51 seconds ago.

01-23-2007 02:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
In this case, flaming is like peer pressure. Someone with a reasonable post count starts, and everyone does too to avoid negs
People "flame" to avoid negative reputations?
Wow, that's some perspective :chrongue:
Registered 7641 days, 16 hours, 35 minutes, 22 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

01-23-2007 02:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
the quality of this forum HAS degraded seriously
Of course.... by people who ignore others who try to help by deleting threads....
But of course, a different opinion is not a wrong opinion.
quote:
A difference of opinion is not a wrong opinion.

Btw, nubs who refuse are to be told.......
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-23-2007 02:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Weyzza
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
In this case, flaming is like peer pressure. Someone with a reasonable post count starts, and everyone does too to avoid negs
People "flame" to avoid negative reputations?
Wow, that's some perspective :chrongue:
Late night thinking sorry for the misunderstanding :S

People follow a leader, which shows power somehow (which includes flaming). Others are then peer pressures indirectly and follow suit, although it might be just coincidentally that all the members feel the same way.

And another analogy is a bully. Teachers tell you not to bully (like how this thread is telling you not to flame), but people still do, and it exists because there is an audience, which gives the will to flame. Some of the audience dont have the power to stand up (and post little comments here like me), or just leave it as is. But sometimes its for a good cause, which is totally fine, but I've only seen it a few times here. There is, once again, no easy way out of this.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6557 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes, 51 seconds ago.

01-23-2007 03:00 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I hear what you're saying, but I don't see what's the point.

There is a reason why some members get flamed. And that's not peer pressure or whatever. It's because they spam.

I see a new tendency that started after one of the rants a few months ago:

* New member spams.
* New member gets a negative rep saying he spams and should read the rules.
* Old member reps the new member saying all the people who gave a neg to the new member are idiots and they should remember when they first joined, blah, blah...

Basically, people are forgetting something: You don't rep people because of pity or because when you first joined you spammed like crazy and now you see the errors of your ways and feel that this new member deserves something you didn't have back then.

You're basically doing all the contrary to the

Different opinion != Wrong opinion

thing you preach. :-/

If 15 people and an admin think a user is spamming, it tells you something. It doesn't mean peer pressure.

You get tired of telling the same person over and over again to read the rules, stop double posting, stop trying to get your post count to increase by making pointless or repeated threads outside of T&T, stop insulting others in public or in PMs, etc.

Then someone comes along and reps the guy with a + and says: "aww, you were noobs too! :angry:"

That's something that irks me. It's like it doesn't matter anymore that you're trying to point people into the right direction.

I think THAT'S what's actually degrading this forum. Giving spammers a pat on the back every time someone's trying to make them stop.

So, go ahead, mask it with peer pressure, evil reppers or "we were noobs too", but I think you bring this upon yourselves.

Btw, I was a noob too. But I never had to be told twice to read the rules. :P

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-23-2007 03:17 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time

My nuts yearn for your sanity.
didnt think you had any :rofl:
01-23-2007 03:20 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Of course.... by people who ignore others who try to help by deleting threads....
its those kinds of comments that ruin this forum, why would you bring that up. that was over a month ago. it serves no purpose but to try to make me angry, and THAT is exactly what we're talking about.

the new attitude of this forum includes:
-anger
-constantly egging on already pissed people
  - who then get flamed for getting mad.
-mass negging(you post a neg and then everyone jumps in on it)
-new member berating
-constant spaming

and don't be reading this and think it doesn't apply to you, its probualy 98% of this forum that has done one of the above.

bottom line, give people the respect they deserve, everybody screws up once and a while, don't pick them to death over it

This post was edited on 01-23-2007 at 04:02 AM by NiteMare.
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6653 days, 15 hours, 5 minutes, 22 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
01-23-2007 04:00 AM
FineWolf

Space Artist

– / Male / Flag
Just a comment on mass negging here. If I neg, it is usually because the user deserved it, and I do provide proof in my descriptions (PIDs or TIDs). I do not look at a user's previous reputation before negging. Same applies for my positive responses. I either give proof or a general comment about the user which applies to the majority of his posts.
[Image: spacesigkj4.png]
01-23-2007 04:04 AM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
I do realize when a person has a negative reputation it encourages you/makes it easier for you to decide if you want to give them a negative.

But, the thing is.. most of the times they deserve those negative reputations, and maybe they're taking to an extreme.. but everyone should have the chance to explain how they feel.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
01-23-2007 04:27 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Treat the forum like a real community
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
its those kinds of comments that ruin this forum, why would you bring that up. that was over a month ago. it serves no purpose but to try to make me angry, and THAT is exactly what we're talking about.

If I remember rightly there was someone else who did this same thing after you, so don't just assume he was pointing the finger at you alone.

Personally I agree with most actions of the people on the forum.  The only thing I don't agree with is the comments made by some members that have no use other than to degrade others obviously and they continuously do this.  Though I must say, recently these people have become better IMO and there is less of it.

A newb should be treated with only a little more care than an ordinary member IMHO.  A newb should try to fit in with the dynamics of the forum and abide by the rules set, if they don't then they should expect the consequences.  I personally have realised my mistakes when people have said something and then I didn't do it again and in turn I haven't received any negative rep for it (furthermore, I haven't even received a neutral, but thats not the point).  People need to learn from their mistakes, not just keep on do it until they are forcefully dealt with.
[Image: markee.png]
01-23-2007 04:29 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: