What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Windows Vista

Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Windows Vista
Author: Message:
xJ +

A$$ple/Buttple xD

117 / Other / Flag
RE: Windows Vista
I've tested the betas of Windows Vista, I'm still on RC2 btw, and I personally feel that it's not a rush in getting the final. The GUI looks cool and everything, the features, Ultimate Extra (for ultimate only, duh =P), etc, are tempting many worldwide.
Microsoft should really screw the idea of releasing Vista Home Basic. If those who haven tested or seen each editions properly and thought every editions have the Aero interface, etc, then those people will regret buying Vista if they buy Vista Home Basic that's.
Like what HSV said, it has Pros and Cons. Each Operating Systems and Softwares has them too. If one seriously wants it, then it's worth waiting for its first service pack to be relased before getting it. If I were you, I will wait for its Service Pack 1 to be released before getting it. In my opinion, Windows XP MCE is still a better choice.
My opinion chart:
Windows XP HE < Windows XP Pro > Windows 2000 > Windows ME > Windows 98SE > Windows 98 > Wndows 95
Windows XP MCE > Windows XP Pro > Windows XP HE
Windows XP MCE > Windows XP Pro > WIndows Vista HB
Windows XP MCE < Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows XP MCE > Windows Vista HP
Windows XP HE > Windows Vista HB
Windows XP HE > or = Windows Vista HP
Windows XP Pro > Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows XP Pro > or = Windows Vista Business
All Windows XP Editions < Windows Vista Ultimate
Legend » HB = Home Basic, HP = Home Premium, HE = Home Edition
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Thanks, I can see from that that I have no reason to buy Ultimate, I think I'm gonna get Home Premium...

BUT, can you use it on two PCs? I swear I read somewhere that you can only use it on one, and somewhere else that you can use it on up to 2.
Activation up to two times.
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney
I'm downloading it right now, free and legal through MSDN-AA. University rocks 
Microsoft is losing money soon. So stop the downloading, although it's from MSDN, and buy it off from the stores. :P

This post was edited on 01-30-2007 at 05:33 PM by xJ +.
01-30-2007 05:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
So that means I could split the cost of buying it with a friend and we could both have it?

Also can I ask why you think XP is only equal to Home Premium?
01-30-2007 05:38 PM
xJ +

A$$ple/Buttple xD

117 / Other / Flag
quote:
Also can I ask why you think XP is only equal to Home Premium?
huh? *-)
it's XP HE, not XP only.
Re-read the 'my opinion chart' again
quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
Windows XP HE > or = Windows Vista HP

This post was edited on 01-30-2007 at 05:44 PM by xJ +.
01-30-2007 05:43 PM
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
Wow, I really typed that question wrong...

Can I ask why you think that XP Home Edition is better/as good as Vista Home Premium? I would have thought that Vista HP would be vastly superior to XP HE..
01-30-2007 05:48 PM
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Windows Vista
quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
quote:
I'm downloading it right now, free and legal through MSDN-AA. University rocks 
Microsoft is losing money soon. So stop the downloading, although it's from MSDN, and buy it off from the stores. :P

Hehe, no way. Anyway, it's the Business version, you know what the differences are with Ultimate? (Yeah, I should Google that, but I'm lazy :P)
01-30-2007 05:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
you know what the differences are with Ultimate? (Yeah, I should Google that, but I'm lazy (Smilie))
quote:
Originally posted by Felu

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windows...itions/choose.mspx
01-30-2007 05:58 PM
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Windows Vista
quote:
quote:
you know what the differences are with Ultimate? (Yeah, I should Google that, but I'm lazy (Smilie))
quote:
Originally posted by Felu

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windows...itions/choose.mspx

Seems I wasn't just lazy, I failed at reading the thread as well :(

Looks like I'll be missing out on Media Center, Bitlocker and Windows DVD Maker, and I probably would never use any of those. I don't think those features are worth an extra $60 either, if I had to buy it.
01-30-2007 06:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
That's what I was thinking, but xJ is saying that Ultimate is better than all the others and Home Premium isn't even better than XP Home Edition.. =/

I'm confused now.
01-30-2007 06:15 PM
xJ +

A$$ple/Buttple xD

117 / Other / Flag
quote:
Can I ask why you think that XP Home Edition is better/as good as Vista Home Premium? I would have thought that Vista HP would be vastly superior to XP HE..
I knew you will ask
The features in Vista HP are more or less similar to XP HE, exclude Media Center that's. Look at the comparison chart of Wins Vista, creating HD videos in Vista HP will be a trouble for those who has got lower RAM/processor power, although both XP and Vista HP don't have Movie Make in HD, still XP will need lesser RAM to create HD movies, using other video editing software that's, as compare to Vista HP. Vista itself needs 512MB of RAM minimium, while XP needs only 64MB of RAM minimium to operate, by adding more RAM (let's say to 3GB) to a XP based PC will increase the rendering speed of HD faster as compared a Vista HP based PC (3GB of RAM).
In addition, both Vista HP x32 and x64 have got its own individual maximium RAM that it can read whereas, I don't read anywhere saying that XP HE can only read up to this much of RAM. So for example if you are on a Wins XP HE PC, having more than 20GB of RAM, XP itself can read that much while Vista HP x32 and x64 can't.
Let's say the Quick search feature that's on all Vista editions, on XP, you can simply install Google desktop search or something alike, now XP also has got its very own IE 7, there'll still be a search bar at the right hand top coner, right? Vista itself also needs a minimium of 55GB (total) of space in order to run smoothly, while on XP, a total of 10GB (or perhaps lesser) of Space will run as smoothly as Vista.
If you install the google desktop search, it will only take up a few MBs.
Anyway, not as if Media Center is the only program that allows users to watch/view videos, movies, photos in a living room; when I bought my PC which is on Windows XP HE, it's also an entertainment center PC, without Media Center that's. It comes with a TV tuner card, and InterVideo for me to enjoy TV, Video, Photos, etc, like what Media Center can do. Though you have to buy the hardware and the software, there's no doubt about it.
By adding up the cost price of you buying a Vista HP PC, it will cost more than XP HE PC.
Most secure ever? HA! Vista still needs Anti-virus -.-" Isn't it similar to XP? If Microsoft says that Vista is similar to Mac and it's tested true, I will surrender! Futhermore, both Windows Firewall and Defender are available to XP HE SP2 also.... I shall end off here.
Hence, Vista HP < or = XP HE
This is purely my opinion, you can choose to listen or not to :P
Anyway, this is what I read and remembered:
Maximium RAM it can read.
- Vista HB x64 » 8GB
- Vista HP x64 » 16GB
- Vista Ultimate/Business x64 » up to 128GB

That's all (:

EDIT:
quote:
That's what I was thinking, but xJ is saying that Ultimate is better than all the others and Home Premium isn't even better than XP Home Edition.. =/
Ultimate holds all of the features including its Ultimate Extra. Hence it's better than all of the other editions :P however it's not worth investing your money in. :tongue:
Reason: It's way too expensive

This post was edited on 01-30-2007 at 06:35 PM by xJ +.
01-30-2007 06:15 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
i thought that 32 bit oss cant read more than 4gb of ram...

which leads me to ask, why is that 32bit systrems/oss are refered to as x86?
01-30-2007 06:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: