What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Utorrent- port forwarding problem

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Utorrent- port forwarding problem
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem
q25,

The DSL modem you have can be configured to function as a router -- and probably is.  WDZ is correct in noting that you have "stacked" two routers; that is not a good idea, precisely because it breaks UPnP port forwarding and makes manual forwarding difficult.

I imagine the reason for the Linksys router is wireless access and you probably don't want to just take it out, so there are three options: 

1) You can forward the port on both the Corecess and Linksys;  on the Corecess device you will forward to the address it assigns to the Linksys, on the Linksys you will forward to the LAN IP of your computer.  If it sounds complicated, that's because it is -- that is why this type of setup is bad.

2) You can try to disable the NAT router that is built into the Corecess device and appropriately reconfigure the Linksys router.  You will probably have to Google up some instructions for that.

3) You can set up the Linksys router to just act as a wireless access point and bypass its router portion.  The only setting you need to change to make that happen is turn off the Linksys router's DHCP server; after doing that, move the cable going to the modem to one of the numbered LAN ports -- not the WAN port where it is right now. 

Note that with this last solution you may still need to forward the port on the Corecess modem if for some reason that doesn't happen through UPnP.

02-05-2007 07:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus

2) You can try to disable the NAT router that is built into the Corecess device and appropriately reconfigure the Linksys router.  You will probably have to Google up some instructions for that.

The way i did this with my modem was simply taking out my PPP username and password and telling it to not connect to the internet. My router had the option to connect for the modem, so I used that, and then I was able to port forward (and use upnp properly.) Maybe you can do something similar.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-05-2007 08:06 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem
Thanks guys. I'll try this as soon as I get home, that is, if my internet is fixed (I killed it yesturday trying to do this :undecided:) Now my 198.xx.xx (can't remember) forwards me to the linkyss site (as it did) but the 10.0.0.2 (or something like that) forwards me to the linkyss site too, instead of the corecess like it used to do :dodgy:

This post was edited on 02-05-2007 at 01:12 PM by Rolando.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
02-05-2007 12:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Utorrent- port forwarding problem
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
q25,
3) You can set up the Linksys router to just act as a wireless access point and bypass its router portion.  The only setting you need to change to make that happen is turn off the Linksys router's DHCP server; after doing that, move the cable going to the modem to one of the numbered LAN ports -- not the WAN port where it is right now. 

Note that with this last solution you may still need to forward the port on the Corecess modem if for some reason that doesn't happen through UPnP.

I was thinking of trying that. But I don't know which cable you mean I should move.

Sorry for double posting and sorry for bumping guys.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
02-06-2007 10:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: