What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Members behaviour towards new people!

Pages: (10): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
Members behaviour towards new people!
Author: Message:
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Members behaviour towards new people!
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
not really...the rules don't directly specify NO NEG-BACKS...
That is one of the spoken rules.

*shameless plug to my above post*
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=71...d=791991#pid791991
no one would have noticed it, after such long posts.

[16:44] <aaa> the majority of the people on the forums are morons.

Also, it pisses me how some say one thing and do the opposite.

Also, generalizations piss me off :P

This post was edited on 02-21-2007 at 11:01 PM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
02-21-2007 10:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Svip
Board's Foremost Baby-Eater

I eat babies.

37 / Other / Flag
Can I first of all say how awesome I am?  Good.

Now, the reputation system is like Windows.  Flawed by design.  Therefore it would make sense there should be some more limitations on it.  Or do as I would have done... get rid of it.

All that said, you may vote positive for me.
[Image: weredoomed4ds.png]
02-21-2007 11:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
Common courtesy.

Two simple words that mean a whole lot of difference. If you would treat other people the way that you would want to be treated, the world would be a better place. And that works with reps too. Its usually the younger and inexperienced members that place importance upon reps, and it is in my opinion often the suckups or inexperienced members that flock to negrep a screwing up newb.

In my opinion, members screwing up is an item for mods and admin to deal with, not the members. Giving reps is only an indication, and in my opinion should not be used to teach member to behave.

I think that a good option for the repsystem, would be to limit the people that can give out reps. 100 posts is already a good deal, but it doesnīt tell you if anyone is sensible and in general a good member.. so I think the right to give reps should be earned, and should be taken away again when abused.

So in short, I think it is important that negreppers get taken away their ability to rep. Clearly they arenīt worthy of the privilege.

Edit: ooops, sorry, didnīt realise I was logged on as Omar...  *is Fanta*

This post was edited on 02-21-2007 at 11:19 PM by Omar.
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
02-21-2007 11:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Omar
In my opinion, members screwing up is an item for mods and admin to deal with, not the members.
Exactly.

Which is why people need to report the invalid reputations to us so we can take action against the user - not create threads which bitch and moan about the whole community.

Members who are hassling new members need to be bought to our attention: contact any of the moderators or admins here and we'll look in to it.

The majority of those giving invalid reputations could care less about what an Elite member has to say or any other member regarding it, and that isn't because they haven't read it - it's because they don't care what other people think.

There are clear divisions and groups of people in this forum like that - they have each other on their WLM contact lists, they work on websites together etc. That group sticks together and cares what their group thinks of them - so they'll disregard threads like this.

The only way effective action can be taken place is that you report the reputations to an Administrator where we can make it clear to the users that their actions won't be tolerated: their accounts banned, reputation powers disabled etc.

Bitching and moaning in a thread won't solve anything because as I said, most people could care less about it.

Any reputations people feel are invalid (for yourself or any other user), send me a PM, I'll investigate and remove it as well as keep a list of repeat offenders who I will ban or remove their reputation abilities.

As for the previous discussion of the member who registered here and then decided to spam, it's only normal that people don't have a high opinion of them and negative rep them. Everybody forms opinions of people - if they admit it or not. People form opinions at face value too, deny it or not.

If a member however posts inappropriate comments such as abuse etc. then those aren't considered valid reasons and need to be reported to us however general opinions, as I mentioned above, toward a new member or not should still be valid.
02-21-2007 11:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
So this is again back to the reps....

Is it so hard to see that this is not the main issue here?

And thank you Chris for suggesting that we just bitch and moan...
And of course thank you Shawnz for doing the expected...

Btw, this bitching and moaning is already going on for months. And it gets worse and worse and more frequent, and it is not only a few members (though, maybe only a few dare to speak up, that's another case), you can not deny that.... Even oldtime members who just still lurk here start bitching and moaning about what is being discussed here (before the subject was oh-so-conveniently shifted towards the rep system... again): community behaviour, respect, and those things.

This post was edited on 02-22-2007 at 02:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-22-2007 02:40 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
[Image: Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg]

The horse is dead by now people. why not just let it go? I think it's been argued to death by now...
02-22-2007 02:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So this is again back to the reps....

Is it so hard to see that this is not the main issue here?
I used the reputations as an example, as they were used at the beginning of the thread.

What I said also applies just as much to posts, private messages and anything else here.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And thank you Chris for suggesting that we just bitch and moan...
That's all that has come out of this. After 6 pages of stuff you're still arguing over the one thing and people won't even listen to what you say or anyone else says - so instead of the bitching and moaning you need to report stuff to us so we can proactively enforce things upon members.

[edit] You need to remember that the average age of people on these forums is around 14-15. These 14-15 year olds are not like how they used to be in your day and age (probably more so in yours than mine). People used to show more respect at that age whereas these days patricularly that age group has lower respect for others.

Like I said before, bitching and moaning in these threads accomplishes absolutely nothing - the members don't listen and you won't see any sort of long time improvement.

This post was edited on 02-22-2007 at 04:04 AM by surfichris.
02-22-2007 04:01 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Members behaviour towards new people!
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
You need to remember that the average age of people on these forums is around 14-15.

Not really...this isn't a true average but it gives enough information: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/statistics.php?page=ages
EDIT: There is an average on there. Average Age: 22.1
EDIT 2: It must also be taken into account that not everyone posts an age!

However, the rest of what you're saying about the age group still applies, even to many of the members above that age. People also sometimes feel inclined to adopt an I-don't-know-these-people-well-so-I-don't-really-care attitude in many forums around the internet.

This thread should be locked; threads made to change the general behavior of the members always seem to end up in more and more complaining, though they are (usually) created for a good cause.

This post was edited on 02-22-2007 at 04:18 AM by deAd.
02-22-2007 04:17 AM
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
Been there, posted that, got burned.

This topic will not die because people refuse to change.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
02-22-2007 05:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
I was just reading a thread that was posted on all forums because obviously the poster didn't know where it would fit. Now that isn't good but what i find worst of all is that this person instantly recieves negs for it! None of the ones giving these negs even replied to the guy telling him where the thread should go!!!

Person i'm on about: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/reputation.php?uid=64810
I just read what was put inthere and tbh it's appauling! What has this guy done to be yelled at this much?! Did he yell at you? Did he tell you to" [quoted]die[/quoted]? He came asking for help!

What ever happend to beeing friendly?
In general: All too often new people get responces like "search!"(with or withouth other bad word to accompany that). Why can't you search for them? They are new, give them a break! You are the helper, behave like one! *holds back swearword*

It's this kind of behaviour that gives a forum a bad name!

WOW OMG!! finally someone has said what i have been saying for the last year. I agree so much to you, heaps of people are so so mean to new people, its disgusting.

quote:
Originally posted by chris boulton
Members who are hassling new members need to be bought to our attention: contact any of the moderators or admins here and we'll look in to it.

I think some of the mods turn blind eyes because some of the people hassling new members are regulars and are part of there friendship circle. I could name alot of them.

quote:
Originally posted by voldemort
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Nagamasa
not really...the rules don't directly specify NO NEG-BACKS...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is one of the spoken rules.

*shameless plug to my above post*
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=71...d=791991#pid791991
no one would have noticed it, after such long posts.

Also, it pisses me how some say one thing and do the opposite.

Also, generalizations piss me off 

Voldemort your one of the people who neg back.

quote:

It mostly the people who hang around on the irc  who pick on the new members, so really most of you guys are morons

This post was edited on 02-22-2007 at 05:32 AM by Discrate.
02-22-2007 05:06 AM
Pages: (10): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: