What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Connecting two pc's

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Connecting two pc's
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Connecting two pc's
If you have a router connecting the two PCs to the internet, you can create a network across that as well... It depends on what you want to do. The standard workgroup networking system between two or more workstations will let you "share" directories across the network as SMB shares as long as both computers are on the same workgroup. (goto start, click run, and type "\\an-ip-address\" to see SMB shares existing on that computer) If you use a domain network, which requires the use of a Windows Server 2000/2003 dedicated server connected to your router (or networked in whatever other way you come up with) you can set it up as a "logon server" -- meaning, whenever you log on to any of the workstations on your network, the username and password is sent to this "domain controller" -- it then sends back profile information and security settings. this also means you can use your user account on any computer connected to the network, and have your settings transfer over as well.

This post was edited on 02-28-2007 at 01:47 AM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-28-2007 01:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Connecting two pc's
ok can i just make clear i don't have a router, so do i need to get one? i want a simple connection nothing fancy or too complicated. and wen i said server i ment modem...sorry :(
[Image: untitled2nk3.png]
02-28-2007 03:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
ok let me get this clear. The setup you are trying to create is the following:

[Internet]-----------[Modem-PC1-NIC]-------<crossover cable>------[NIC-PC2]

In which you can currently reach the internet only from PC1, right?

This setup is possible without a router by allowing the internet connection on PC1 to be shared with other PCs in your network. You can do this by going to your Internet Connection's properties (right-click>Properties). Select the Advanced tab and check the box which says something like "Other network users may use this computer's Internet connection." (I'm on a Dutch machine so I don't know the exact string)
After that, connect PC1 to PC2 using your new crossover cable.
Setup both PCs to use the same workgroup by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Preferences. Select the Computer Name tab and check whether they already use the same workgroup. If they are both in a different workgroup, use the Change... button to change one of them.
Now it's time to set up the IP address and submask for your network. Go to your LAN-connection's properties (again, right-click>properties), select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
Now, select "Use the following IP" and type in an IP-address (recommended ranges are 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 173.31.255.255 and 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255)
In the Subnet mask field, fill in 255.255.255.0
On the other pc, use the same settings, except for the IP. Only the last number of the IPs should differ eg: PC1 has 10.0.0.1 and PC2 has 10.0.0.2

If you still can't ping PC1 from PC2 or vice-versa, check your firewall settings, NIC status in the device manager and maybe even the new cable you bought.
02-28-2007 05:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
so that would help me for the bits after but im still stuck in getting them on the same network as to share the internet connection and file because wene i plug in too both PC's it comes up as not plugged in on both. and i make the network from this pc but it dosn't appear on the other one. is there a toutorial i can follow because now i know what to do after so thanks for that Jesus ;). looked on google and followd a few but nothing :(
02-28-2007 05:37 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
well, if it says that the cable is not plugged in it might be a hardware issue. Are you sure your NICs and cable are ok (even if it's a brand new)? I can't think of another reason why it would show them as not connected right now:(

edit: have you tried this one?

This post was edited on 02-28-2007 at 07:00 PM by Jesus.
02-28-2007 06:55 PM
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
well what if i get a router? and also could it be this?
quote:
Originally posted by windows support

The network cable may be the wrong type of cable. For example, a crossover cable does not function correctly as a regular network cable.

02-28-2007 07:24 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatino
could it be this?

probably not, since you bought a crossover cable to link 2 pcs directly to each other, which is exactly what they are for.

If you get a router, make sure you can use it for your type of internet connection. Also, you can't use your crossover cable to link a pc to the router (which is what they were referring to in the quote you posted), so you'll need 2 regular network cables.
02-28-2007 07:30 PM
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
Ok....lol and i thought it would be hassle free just plug and play.
so you think i should try a new cable?
02-28-2007 07:38 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatino
Ok....lol and i thought it would be hassle free just plug and play.
so you think i should try a new cable?
AFAIK, it should be (nearly) plug and play.

I'm not saying you should run to the store to get a new cable right away, but if the MS Tech Support page didn't help you out and you are sure both NICs are installed correctly (check in device manager) you might want to have the cable tested and eventually replaced.
02-28-2007 07:50 PM
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
ok then well thanks for everything and i'll have a word with me Dad see if i can get it replaced.If anything els can i pm you?
02-28-2007 07:53 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: