What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Machine to create new universes

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
Machine to create new universes
Author: Message:
Weekender

Let Yourself go..

32 / Male / –
RE: Machine to create new universes
First of all, if it works.. cool. =D, could end up being a solution, would be nice to have a Plan B if global warming or whatever makes the earth unhabitable, rather then mars. [that is if they can make a bigger model]

And for some reason if you go faster, then the speed of light, you go back in time... =P
03-12-2007 08:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Weekender
First of all, if it works.. cool. =D, could end up being a solution, would be nice to have a Plan B if global warming or whatever makes the earth unhabitable, rather then mars. [that is if they can make a bigger model]
Erm, but it would take millions/billions of years for it to develop enough for planets and solar systems to be formed, and then even longer for a planet to become inhabitable. and that's IF one becomes inhabitable.

We would die from global warming(if that does kill us) wayyyy before there was a secondary earth for us to move to.

AND THEN, there's the whole problem of actually moving humanity from one universe to another 8-)

quote:

And for some reason if you go faster, then the speed of light, you go back in time... =P

That's only a theory, no one can prove it since we haven't made anything go faster than the speed of light, yet. (at least I think anyway :P)

This post was edited on 03-12-2007 at 09:25 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
03-12-2007 09:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
It would certainly be interesting to go faster than the speed of light :D Lets enter the Star Wars / Star Trek era yay :P lol
...there used to be a signature here :)
03-13-2007 04:17 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
quote:
If, hypothetically a planet formed that was inhabitable, the machine isn't quite big enough to create a planet that could fit 6 billion or so people. The machine would have to be larger than our solar system at least, to fit in a planet, a star, the orbit of the planet...etc etc. It just wouldn't work at all.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

03-13-2007 07:44 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
But i think it would be cool to make a mini universe and see how it all works out :)
w00t Sim City! :p

quote:
This is true if you're using Newtonian Physics, but thanks to Special Relativity (ugh, that again :P) not only is it impossible to reach the speed of light, but the speed of light is always constant; so even if you were somehow travelling at 'c' (3e8 m/s ie. the speed of light) then light would still appear to be travelling faster than you, you wouldn't be able to 'overtake' any light waves (and hence 'go back in time').

quote:
It would certainly be interesting to go faster than the speed of light  Lets enter the Star Wars / Star Trek era yay  lol
Like I said before, the effects depicted in Star Wars and Star Trek (in terms of travel, not the flashing lights) do not require travelling faster than the speed of light, by travelling at 0.999999999 times the speed of light you can reach any point in the universe within a couple of seconds at most (and that is real physics, and is actually possible). Although by the time you get there Earth would have aged many billions of years (although the people in the spaceship would have only aged the few seconds which it took) - Special Relativity :p.
EDIT: The whole faster than light business is based on Newtonian Physics which says that if you're travelling at 'v', you'll reach your destination in distance divided by 'v' seconds which is simply just WRONG in practice.

This post was edited on 03-13-2007 at 08:30 AM by Volv.
03-13-2007 08:23 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
It would certainly be interesting to go faster than the speed of light  Lets enter the Star Wars / Star Trek era yay  lol
Like I said before, the effects depicted in Star Wars and Star Trek (in terms of travel, not the flashing lights) do not require travelling faster than the speed of light, by travelling at 0.999999999 times the speed of light you can reach any point in the universe within a couple of seconds at most (and that is real physics, and is actually possible). Although by the time you get there Earth would have aged many billions of years (although the people in the spaceship would have only aged the few seconds which it took) - Special Relativity :p.

That is kind of freaky when i think about it :S
...there used to be a signature here :)
03-13-2007 08:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
That is kind of freaky when i think about it :S
Yeah, it is pretty weird/freaky when you consider that its real and not science fiction :p Too bad we dont have the technology to feasibly get us going that fast (yet)... :(
03-13-2007 12:24 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Like I said before, the effects depicted in Star Wars and Star Trek (in terms of travel, not the flashing lights) do not require travelling faster than the speed of light, by travelling at 0.999999999 times the speed of light you can reach any point in the universe within a couple of seconds at most (and that is real physics, and is actually possible). Although by the time you get there Earth would have aged many billions of years (although the people in the spaceship would have only aged the few seconds which it took) - Special Relativity
At 0.99999999*c you would take about 76 or so years to reach the nearest star so excuse me for thinking that travelling at the speed of light won't give us shit.
All we can use (for travelling at v->c) is to travel within the solar system quickly. If you want interstellar travel, you my friend need to travel faster than light. Warp travel ;)
Gogo Star Trek(ie) :cheesy: (:wink:)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-13-2007 03:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Another possible way to travel through time is to establish two worm holes, where if you go through the first one, you get to the second one. And, because this means that you travel a long distance (let's say: the 1st is on Earth and the 2nd on Mars) in a short period of time, you generate a high speed which means you travel through time! :D

The only problem is to get those worm holes established... :S

This post was edited on 03-13-2007 at 05:30 PM by Matti.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
03-13-2007 05:30 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
Establishing wormholes basically means bending space-time. How do you bend a 3-d object? I have no idea...

Not to mention that it's highly unlikely that the inside of a wormhole will appear and perform like they do in things like Stargate... :p
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
03-13-2007 06:10 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: