What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Views on gay marriage

Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Views on gay marriage
Author: Message:
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Views on gay marriage
I dont really care either, but there is 1 thing that  bothers alot of people. That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay, children look up to there parents and there parents are kind of there roll model. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, becuase he/her has gay parents.

This post was edited on 03-18-2007 at 09:16 AM by Discrate.
03-18-2007 09:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay
So?

What's wrong with the child turning gay too?

I also can't see that much of a problem with a gay couple adopting either, they should be aloud to have kids and feel that love there is between child and parent.

But the bullying would be stupid and not nice for the child. But that is  society's fault for having a problem with gays =/
[Image: jumbled.png]
03-18-2007 09:26 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Views on gay marriage
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay
So?

What's wrong with the child turning gay too?

I also can't see that much of a problem with a gay couple adopting either, they should be aloud to have kids and feel that love there is between child and parent.

But the bullying would be stupid and not nice for the child. But that is  society's fault for having a problem with gays =/

I have no problem with it. But what people fear is that, the child will turn gay becuase he sees hes parents are so he thinks thats how he is supose to be. When we are all young and are growing up, we look on our parents as roll models.
03-18-2007 09:29 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
I dont really care either, but there is 1 thing that  bothers alot of people. That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay becuase he/her parents are gay, children look up to there parents and there parents are kind of there roll model. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, becuase he/her has gay parents.

Yes, but that is a separate matter. There are other things to marriage than children.
[Image: signature.php]
03-18-2007 09:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Views on gay marriage
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:

Yes, but that is a separate matter. There are other things to marriage than children.

I know i was just pointing it out. :)
03-18-2007 09:30 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
But what people fear is that, the child will turn gay becuase he sees hes parents are so he thinks thats how he is supose to be. When we are all young and are growing up, we look on our parents as roll models.

Well I still see nothing wrong with it, and I don't think other people should either.
[Image: jumbled.png]
03-18-2007 09:34 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Views on gay marriage
quote:

As much as I hate to say this, that's life and you have to deal with it. On the contrary to what you said, just because the parents are gay doesn't necessarily mean that the children are gay, that's exactly like saying straight parents kid's will be straight, look at me, I'm gay, they're straight. I understand that a child looks up to their parents, but it's not how people in general are raised, it's a part of life. They don't decide to be gay, or choose to be gay, it's natural. Yes, it may influence it but it doesn't have much affect on a child.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
03-18-2007 09:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
I'm against it, but I don't really care much about it. :tongue:

The religious crap isn't what bothers me, but rather the social implications. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman... it's an important and well-established tradition in our society. Allowing same-sex couples to be legally married changes the definition of marriage. I don't like change. :-/

Also, it could create a slippery slope... what sorts of marriage will be legalized next?

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate (Quote corrected for spelling)
That if a gay couple adopted a child, the child would have trouble understanding why there is 2 guys together or 2 women together, also the child might turn gay because his/her parents are gay; children look up to their parents and their parents are kind of their role models. Plus there is the matter of getting picked on, because he/she has gay parents.
I kind of agree with this. Think of the children! :( :P

If same-sex marriage is legalized, I imagine lots of people will have difficulty getting used to it...
03-18-2007 10:06 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I disagree with WDZ, and totally agree with all other people. Nothing much to add, everything important has already been said:

- Seperation between church and state
- Law and governement forsees many benefits of married couples. Why should people who love eachother be denied these benefits.
- Children of gay couples do not turn gay automatically (that's pure crap)
- Children of gay couples are no different than other children. (in fact, they may be raised in a more liberal open-minded environment, which, in my eyes, is good)

Though, one thing I haven't seen in this thread yet (explicitly):
- There are two kinds of marriage: marrying before law and marring before the church.

I could understand why marrying before the church (catholic) is not allowed in some countries by the church. Though, this raises the question in how 'straightforward' the catholic church is, since it is allowed in some countries. Go figure...

I can not understand why it would not be allowed to be married before the law though (Unless church and state is not seperated, although that isn't a good thing either, imho).

This post was edited on 07-19-2008 at 08:17 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-18-2007 10:23 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Though, one thing I haven't seen in this thread yet (explicitly):
- There are two kinds of marriage: marrying before law and marring before the church.
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
I understand if the churches don't want to marry gay couples, but that should be up to them to decide, not the states. They should definitely be allowed to "register" their relationship (not sure what it's called in English, when you just go to some office and say that you are now married, which gives you all the benefits of a married couple in the eyes of the law).

Anyway, considering adopting children... I agree with the points made earlier about them not growing up differently. There are many homeless children all over the world that really could use loving parents, and I can't see how living in a family where both parents are the same gender can be worse than living your entire (most likely short) life in poverty.

This post was edited on 03-18-2007 at 10:41 AM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
03-18-2007 10:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (8): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: