What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
Author: Message:
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
I noticed when the log has been decrypted it is stored as a file on the hard drive (then made hidden it seems). Couldn't it be possible to just recover that deleted file using various programs?

Could there be another way of storing the unencrypted file so it cannot be recovered?
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
03-29-2007 06:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I noticed when the log has been decrypted it is stored as a file on the hard drive (then made hidden it seems). Couldn't it be possible to just recover that deleted file using various programs?
It could be possible in theory, yes. But the chances that you would be able to do that are extremely slim if not non-existing at all. By the time you want to recover the deleted file, there already have been extremely many other disk write operations, which simply overwrote the file.

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Could there be another way of storing the unencrypted file so it cannot be recovered?
yes, memory mapped files. But this has other big disadvantages and I'm not even sure if you would be able to decently load them in MSIE in the first place. I don't see why you wouldn't use a temporary file though. If anything, a simply overwrite to the file would be more than sufficient.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-29-2007 09:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Memory files cannot be used reliably with IE and in any case, you have to remember that the log file accesses pictures in the Imaghes sub-directory so if the file is not physically there, a lot of limitations occur.

Many fail-safe mechanism in the log viewer have already been implemented, including deleting files even if the Log Viewer crashes and filling the temporary decrypted log file with garbage before deleting it (to prevent recovering with undelete tools).
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-29-2007 06:20 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Many fail-safe mechanism in the log viewer have already been implemented, including deleting files even if the Log Viewer crashes and filling the temporary decrypted log file with garbage before deleting it (to prevent recovering with undelete tools).
That sounds quite handy. Thank you.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
03-30-2007 02:53 AM
ohyouknowme

Ok, My first post here, been reading for a while but I'm not quite sure if the kind of thing I'm requesting is allowed.

Basically, for reasons which belong to myself, I need to read a .ple file for which I do not have the password. I've been searching and searching. I've found a decryptor - but you need the password.

I've managed to obtain the MSN password using a program, but it's not the same as the one used to protect the .ple file.

Is it possible or is there a program, that can obtain the password?

The Messenger Plus is "Messenger Plus! Live"

EDIT: Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing. My sould is tormented right now. If you know of anyway to do this and don't want to risk your account, pm me.

This post was edited on 04-06-2007 at 11:23 AM by ohyouknowme.
04-06-2007 11:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ohyouknowme
Ok, My first post here, been reading for a while but I'm not quite sure if the kind of thing I'm requesting is allowed.

Basically, for reasons which belong to myself, I need to read a .ple file for which I do not have the password. I've been searching and searching. I've found a decryptor - but you need the password.

I've managed to obtain the MSN password using a program, but it's not the same as the one used to protect the .ple file.

Is it possible or is there a program, that can obtain the password?

The Messenger Plus is "Messenger Plus! Live"

EDIT: Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing. My sould is tormented right now. If you know of anyway to do this and don't want to risk your account, pm me.

Without the password .ple files are big pieces of garbage, there's no way of recovering the password, it's not saved and it would take thousands of years to brute-force the file.
[Image: 1-0.png]

04-06-2007 11:27 AM
ohyouknowme

Yeah that's what I figured.

So how does Messenger Plus! know the password if it's not saved?
04-06-2007 11:29 AM
Ezra
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
The first couple of bytes are always the same in every file, Plus! decrypts the file with the password given and checks if the first couple of bytes are correct.

04-06-2007 11:31 AM
ohyouknowme

So is it something akin to an md5 validation?

Or more like a wireless network passord - you put in a real word, it generates a code, a code which (in theory) is needed to connect to the network?
04-06-2007 11:34 AM
Ezra
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
no, if you look at the log file decrypted it always has the same couple of bytes.

like: MP4L

Plus! also encrypts this.

If you decrypt the file with the correct password this word is readable, when it's the wrong password it's not readable, so it knows it was the wrong password.

EDIT: Read Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files for more info about the encryption.

This post was edited on 04-06-2007 at 12:00 PM by Ezra.

04-06-2007 11:51 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: