What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
I saw a program advertisement that being said, it make it possible to read Plus!'s encrypted log files without any need of a password? I just wonder if it is possible or not?
03-28-2007 08:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
Well, if something could read it, then it wouldnt be encrypted would it :p.
03-28-2007 08:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
Link us to this program please :P .. but as Sam said, if it could be read without a password then there's no point to having a password ;)
03-28-2007 09:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
sure, you can open the log in pretty much any text editor without the password!

reading the log without the password on the other hand, is virtually impossible.

w00t! 600 posts! [Image: mininana.gif]
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-28-2007 09:18 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
http://www.msxlabs.org/forum/messenger-plus/6582-...oglari-okuyun.html

From the link you can access the forum page which this program is being advertised. However it sounds strange to me also. I saw it on that forum and people who tried it seem disappointed. All of them say that it doesn't work :)  You had better try it too. Or even don't try.

This post was edited on 03-28-2007 at 09:33 PM by ahmetgns.
03-28-2007 09:19 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
well if the program tries to hack the password brute force it "can" read encrypted logfiles...
note: it can if the password is really short or it has like 1000 years to crack it...

This post was edited on 03-28-2007 at 09:28 PM by foaly.
03-28-2007 09:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

The assumption is that the encryption is secure and that is not possible.

That said, the source code of Patchou's implementation is unpublished and hasn't been extensively reviewed by others, unlike Open Source cryptographic software.  Implementation mistakes in cryptography are easy to make (e.g. predictable sources of entropy) and can greatly weaken an otherwise strong algorithm.   If present and correctly exploited, small oversights often reduce the time required for a successful brute force attack from hundreds of years it should take in theory, to hours or minutes in practice.

If any such weakness (or intentional backdoor) exists in the log encryption, it is presently unknown.

This post was edited on 03-28-2007 at 09:32 PM by Adeptus.
03-28-2007 09:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
I wasn't able to find any claims that this software even tries to decrypt MsgPlus chat logs. In fact, it seems to have nothing to do with MsgPlus at all. :P

"View Yahoo and MSN chat logs without logging in to Yahoo or MSN."

http://www.fakewebcam.com/demoMYMA.asp
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Decrypting-...coder-Viewer.shtml
03-28-2007 09:39 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Is it possible to read encrypted logs with helper programs without a password?
You are definitely right. I will report that post on that forum and make admins delete that post. Sorry for taking your time with such a silly thing.
03-28-2007 09:42 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Adeptus: you are right about you say for encryption in general. That's also why I didn't create the aloruthm myself. I'm using the latest stuff available in XP and above which is AES. If somebody can crack this down, I can assure you your Messenger Plus! logs will be the least of your problems ;).
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-29-2007 04:11 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: