What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Iranian forces acting legally?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Iranian forces acting legally?
Author: Message:
Fuse

Wax on..Wax off

32 / Male / –
O.P. Iranian forces acting legally?
Well i don't know if you have heard but Iranian forces last week seized 15 British naval service men(and one woman).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6506361.stm

Read the above link for more information. I personally think that Iran are acting illegally.

I believe the confession of the Faye Turney was only made because she was told she would be released if she said those things.

I also think they weren't in Iranian waters because the co-ordinate of where they were seized were in Iraqi waters and once the Irans found this out they changed where they seized them.

quote:
Originally posted by BBC NEWS on UK Version Of Events

[Image: _42737627_iraq_iran_waters203.gif]

1 Crew boards merchant ship 1.7NM inside Iraqi waters
2 HMS Cornwall was south-east of this, and inside Iraqi waters
3 Iran tells UK that merchant ship was at a different point, still within Iraqi waters
4 After UK points this out, Iran provides alternative position, now within Iranian waters

[Image: _42737907_iraq_iran_title_3_416.gif]

I want to hear what you guys think, Is Iran asking for a fight or is the UK to admit there fault.

Also: Do you think the UN Security Council/NATO (or even the US) should get involved?

EDIT:

I also think they shouldn't be parading (not just British citizens but) British Navy Personnel in that way..very degrading..i hope Iran knows what it's doing to it's already tattered reputation .

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by BBC News on Iranian Version of Events

[Image: _42747531_iranian_version_sail_2.gif]

1 Royal Navy crew stray 0.5km inside Iranian waters
2 Iran gives set of co-ordinates to back up their claims
3 According to seized GPS equipment, the Royal Navy crew had previously entered Iranian waters at several other points
4 Iran informs Britain of the position where the crew were seized, inside Iranian waters

(for those who asked for it ^ - and for a full detail of both version of events: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/6502805.stm)

This post was edited on 03-31-2007 at 09:23 PM by Fuse.
Two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says "Do you know how to drive this thing?"
03-29-2007 02:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Iranian forces acting legally?
Yeah I saw it on the news yesterday, its sick really.
03-29-2007 02:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

Whether they are acting legally or not is closely tied to the coordinate mystery.  If the British were in Iranian waters, I see absolutely no problem with this.

The coordinates are a disputed fact and not having any inside information on that, I have no further opinion.
03-29-2007 02:16 PM
Fuse

Wax on..Wax off

32 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Iranian forces acting legally?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Whether they are acting legally or not is closely tied to the coordinate mystery.  If the British were in Iranian waters, I see absolutely no problem with this.

The coordinates are a disputed fact and not having any inside information on that, I have no further opinion.

isnt this enough to sway you a little?:

quote:
Originally posted by BBC News

3 Iran tells UK that merchant ship was at a different point, still within Iraqi waters
4 After UK points this out, Iran provides alternative position, now within Iranian waters

Two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says "Do you know how to drive this thing?"
03-29-2007 02:23 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Fuse
isnt this enough to sway you a little?:
No.  I fully expect both governments to lie about it to save face, and quite frankly, if the Iranians were going to lie about it, I'd think they would have been careful enough to choose the right position the first time.  Sounds like a technical error to me.
03-29-2007 02:35 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
the coordinate mystery.
They could use satellite images to clear that up I guess...

edit: and Fuse, note that the information that should "sway us a little" is the UK version of events... I haven't seen any Iran version of events. If you've seen one, please post it here. If not, doesn't that "sway you a little"??

This post was edited on 03-29-2007 at 05:44 PM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
03-29-2007 05:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
EBFL

;o

31 / Male / Flag
They claim they'll only release them if we admit that our nazy ship was in there waters even though it wasnt.
I think its making the situation alot worse and we may end up attacking
I'm awesome

03-29-2007 05:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Weekender

Let Yourself go..

32 / Male / –
The way I see it, is that these navel men and woman are gonna get back to the Uk one way or another.

A. Iran hands them over nicely, everyone calms down.

B. Iran dont hand them over, and it becomes NATO, EU, UN Security Council Vs Iran.

This post was edited on 03-29-2007 at 06:27 PM by Weekender.
03-29-2007 06:26 PM
Fuse

Wax on..Wax off

32 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Iranian forces acting legally?
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
the coordinate mystery.
They could use satellite images to clear that up I guess...

edit: and Fuse, note that the information that should "sway us a little" is the UK version of events... I haven't seen any Iran version of events. If you've seen one, please post it here. If not, doesn't that "sway you a little"??

And the uk version of events is somewhat based on fact..:
1)the global positioning device
2) the statement of the Iranian foreign minister changing the location of the incedent

however i accept that number to may have been a technical error however i don't think the UK would risk it's reputation to forge a GPS, although i would also like to see Iran's version of events. 

you might find this helpful: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6501555.stm

and no it doesn't sway me because (like i said) the GPS doesnt lie: 1.7 (or something like that) miles inside of Iraqi waters isnt Iranian waters.

quote:
Originally posted by EBFL
They claim they'll only release them if we admit that our nazy ship was in there waters even though it wasnt.
I think its making the situation alot worse and we may end up attacking

i think in some ways Iran is asking for a fight (not because of this situation - but it isn't helping).

UN Secutary General and Presidency of the EU are also asking for the release of the crew, they must listen to the international community.

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by Weekender
The way I see it, is that these navel men and woman are gonna get back to the Uk one way or another.

A. Iran hands them over nicely, everyone calms down.

B. Iran dont hand them over, and it becomes NATO, EU, UN Security Council Vs Iran.

I agree, Iran  already has had sanctions placed on it, i dont see why it would want more?

This post was edited on 03-29-2007 at 06:36 PM by Fuse.
03-29-2007 06:30 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aiT80yA0dSZk

One of the U.K. sailors admitting they were `obviously trespassed'' into Iranian waters before their capture on March 23.

EDIT: Didn't read the first post properly.

This post was edited on 03-29-2007 at 06:49 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
03-29-2007 06:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: