What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[Bug] Offline contacts list outdated
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated
quote:
Originally posted by Arcadian Dreaming
Just to stop me from going nuts looking for a solution, this is a bug with the program right? Nothing that can be done?
Apparently....

All you could do in this case is contacting the Messenger support team: http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger
Also say what things you already tried (what directories you've deleted and what registry keys you've deleted).

Or use the feedback form, although this isn't really for reporting bugs, but more for suggesting stuff. You also wont get a reply with this: Contactlist > Help > Send Feedback
(links to http://feedback.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger)

This post was edited on 05-22-2007 at 11:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-22-2007 11:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
radical86

RE: RE: [Bug] Offline contacts list outdated
quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:
Originally posted by jellyblu
So I'm not the only one... I think you might be right about it occurring when you terminate the program or kill the process... So it's got to be a WLM bug then...

It's indeed a well known Messenger bug, which is should be fixed in the next build. I've found deleting my contact folder under:

C:\Documents and Settings\<iuser>\Contacts\<e-mail>

Fixes the problem for me :).

Hey. I have same problem for few months now. I tried your solution but the problem is that the folder for the account which is having problem doesn't exist. I use about three different accounts and folders for other accounts are there and these accounts don't have any problems updating the contact list names. But the account which has outdated offline contact list names doesn't have a folder there. I think that is the problem but I don't know how to solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ok. I found the solution (I think). As explained above, I didn't have the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Contacts\<e-mail> for the account I was having problems. So in that account I unchecked the option "This is a shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture, or personal messages on it" under Security Tab. I am not entirely sure if that did the trick but I haven't changed anything else. So, try this if nothing works for you.

This post was edited on 07-08-2007 at 09:56 PM by WDZ.
06-18-2007 07:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Sorry for late reply but I recommend you to read this, because that is not a bug of WLM. It is how WLM works.

This post was edited on 07-02-2007 at 09:06 PM by ahmetgns.
07-02-2007 09:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
how is not updating nicknames/psms a feature, turk?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
07-03-2007 02:38 AM
kryp2nyt

39 / – / –
Okay guys, I seem to have solved the problem ! Now nicknames update correctly from MSN 7.5/WLM and vice versa !

you have to do like i did :

1) open your WLM/MSN and export all your contacts to a .cct file
2) delete all your contacts
3) open Hotmail, and deactivate your account
4) leave it for 15 mins (don't worry! your emails are still intact)
5) reactivate the account by simply re-siging in
6) import all your contacts again back to WLM/MSN, you will notice they are all emails displays, not nickname displays.
7) just wait for the contacts to sign in, and the nicknames will be updated normally, and WILL remain anywhere you sign in UNTIL they change it!

Using the above procedure, I have my nicknames change in WLM, and get the correct nicknames in work (running MSN 7.5) the SAME correct nicknames, even if they are offline, no outdated nicknames anymore !

Strange it is, I thought of trying it, and it actually worked...hmmm...

I absolutely have no technical explanation as why or how this procedure fixed my problem, but it did ! :D

This post was edited on 07-08-2007 at 03:31 PM by kryp2nyt.
07-08-2007 03:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
BYQ

I did what you do say..

But unfortunately I stooped in the close account step, it says:
Cannot close ........@hotmail.com
To close your account, you must resolve one or more of the following issues:

One or more paid services or a Microsoft Points account is linked to your account. To close this account, make sure each service is canceled and your Microsoft Points account is closed. Get help with this
There is a Microsoft e-mail account (Windows Live Mail or Hotmail) associated with your account, so you can't close your Windows Live account immediately. To close your Windows Live account, you need to close your Microsoft e-mail account first. After a period of inactivity, your Windows Live account will automatically be closed. Close your Microsoft account.

So please could you help me with this.
08-18-2007 07:14 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
If you ask me, I can say you that "Don't bother to close your account" because I tried kryp2nyt's method, but it didn't work. I wasn't expecting it to work before trying anyway. I think kryp2nyt is making a mistake.

My ideas are still same, that is WLM won't get Offline contacts' display names from the server when a user signs in.

Doesn't WLM store contacts' names on our computers for quick signing in? If it will get the names of offline contacts too from the server, what is the advantage of the Contact List Cache thingy?
08-18-2007 07:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: