What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Playing around with a microcontroller

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Playing around with a microcontroller
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Playing around with a microcontroller
I decided to experiment again after one and a half year and this is what I've done: http://mike.thedt.net/temp/MOV01540.3GP (sorry for the quality)

It's something simple but, this time, instead checking if a button is pressed, I've used interrupts to do it which means that the processor can do other things than constantly checking wether a button is pressed or not :)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
08-11-2008 07:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Playing around with a microcontroller
I wants me one of those. I love toying about with stuff like that.

@Cookie - how cheap is it to get PCBs printed?
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-11-2008 09:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Playing around with a microcontroller
Depends on the quality of the board you wanna get (different materials), the layers you need (usually only one layer though, more is very expensive), the amount of sides, solder masking, tooling, the amount and size of tracks (though only sometimes, depends on how they are made), etc...

Making them yourself is very possible, but it involves some craftmanship, a lot of patience and some chemical know-how (or a very good how-to book would do too), and above all a lot of trial and error...

Or you could get them made by companies which make prototype boards in very small quantities for you, like http://www.eurocircuits.com/ or http://www.pcb-pool.com/. They are still relative cheap and you don't need to bother with all the labor, burns, sweat, toxic stuff, and trials gone wrong...

eg: a double sided board of 100mmx160mm, plated through and partial hot air levelling and tooling (which is already more than what you'll ever need if you're a beginner), is €50 according to PCB-Pool. But a single sided 100x100mm, not plated through, not tooled, not masked, plain and simple, is just around 25 euros. For that kind of money I cba to try and make one myself tbh.

See google "make PCB boards" for tons of info. Also, the local libary is a gold mine of information regarding this ancient hobby.

;)

PS: Note that an experiment board (like the one Mike is using) can be bought very cheap in almost all local electronic shops* as kits, including needed materials and components to make your own experiments, just as Mike did.

* that is electronic shops, thus not electricity shops (although some have them) or household equipment shops. But the kind of shops were you go to buy a bunch of resistors and transistors and those kind of things...

This post was edited on 08-12-2008 at 12:46 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-12-2008 12:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: