What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Outrageous

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Outrageous
Author: Message:
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
RE: Outrageous
quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
Nothing like this would ever happen in Europe, something must be done to ensure this doesn't happen again. But it has happened a few times hasn't it?

how do you know? we didnt think it'd happen in Canada, but it started this chain of shootings :\ but, i guess it's happened before as well here, just a bit ago.

it could happen anywhere. i know im afraid to go to school :\ a few weeks after the one in Montreal my school was on lock down becuase some guy wanted to rob a Burger King and he got away with his gun and our schools were less than a block away.

it's horrible what happened...again. it's just getting ridiculous.
04-17-2007 05:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Outrageous
I'm way in Canada and our principal made an announcement today about "enforcing school security". However, he's sending a letter to Virginia tech's dean to ask if we can help in any such way as a school.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
04-18-2007 01:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Just heard on the news classes at VA Tech are cancelled for a week... and I agree... guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I just like... tihnk it's dumb... a 5th grader at our elementary school left a bomb threat to get out of school.... yesterday... But of course, they're so dumb, they didn't write it till like 2 in the afternoon... so they got out five minutes early...

My heart goes out to everybody affected by the tragedy... I just hope everything gets sorted out and things get better for their familys and friends.
04-18-2007 02:07 AM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
You can always say guns don't kill people, people do. But do we really need automatic weapons sold to citizens? I know in Australia after the Port Arthur Massacre there was a near complete ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and all pump-action shotguns.

Make it harder to get weapons and don't allow such powerful and quick to fire weapons to be sold to citizens. That can be the first step.

EDIT: Just read some of the slack laws they have over there: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21576049-2,00.html

This post was edited on 04-18-2007 at 04:03 AM by linx05.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
04-18-2007 03:59 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Outrageous
quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers
I thought they did close the school? Or they cancelled lessons or something & told everyone to stay in their rooms with doors/windows closed.
After the first shooting, they thought it was an isolated incident and simply said to students to report any dodgy behvaiour and they send some warning emails around, a few hours later (when the second shooting was already going on) :/ Nobody was send home, lessons went on as usual, etc after first shooting...

Police and headmsaters (or whatever) are twisting around in every direction to try and justify their (utterly stupid <= personal addition) reaction on it...

quote:
It's sad what's happened. They still don't know if it was just the one guy, or if there were more people involved. :\
1 guy, south-korean student (US resident), 23 years old...

quote:
Nothing like this would ever happen in Europe, something must be done to ensure this doesn't happen again. But it has happened a few times hasn't it?
I wouldn't say 'ever'... But it sure is true that it almost never happens at all.. The big difference? The mentality and that whole stupid crap NRA and utterly ridiculus weapon laws.

quote:
Originally posted by Weyzza
But, again, gun supporters will say, "Guns don't kill. People do."
yeah, wich is the biggest crap ever to use as an argument...

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Originally posted by Weyzza
But, again, gun supporters will say, "Guns don't kill. People do."
Sure, they will.  They will also be 100% correct. 

If anything, this incident shows why gun restrictions are idiotic.  Guns are prohibited on the VT campus by strictly enforced policy.  That clearly didn't stop the psycho from having more than one.  It stopped the sane students and staff from having guns to shoot the psycho with and end the rampage early.

We just recently discussed this in private... And with this incident my standpoint is even bigger as what I've said in PM before...

Anyways, now you're saying that it is the fault of the restriction on campus to carry a gun that this happened? Excuse me? Since when is taking law in your own hands been a solution for anything?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The reason why this happened is firstly because of his instability and secondly because anyone can buy guns (and even semi-automatic weapons) without any background check or license or whatever!

In case you didn't already new, on average there are 2 shootings like this on campusses every year in the US!.

It is the bloody NRA and their power in politics which keep this going on.

Restricting gun access does NOT mean restricting hunting and other sports related to guns! It means people won't be able anymore to buy guns, just like that for no reason, without any instructions or education on how to handle them, etc... It also does not mean restricting access to freedom at all for that matter. What on earth does a normal person need a semi-automatic weapon for? Or even canons? Oh, and collecting guns and such can still be done btw, provided you have a license, prooven to be able to handle guns and a stabel background.

Another hard fact is that in extremely (way more than half) many cases where guns are used for self-defense, the gun is used AGAINST the persons who are trying to defend themselfs with it. And another big portion are all the accidents which happen with guns in home.

Only a small fraction of all incidents involves guns being used "successfully" to take law in your own hands. And for that matter, as I said before, since when is that a solution or even allowed?

And then Bush giving his greeves to the family... oh please... He better shut up and go back to what he does best: fucking up the environment (and be proud of it too), keeping the war in Irac going on (and beeing proud of it), pumping billions of dollars in lost causes, and giving guns to children...

He supports the gun law... Well then why does he also worry about other countries doing tests with bombs... Bombs don't kill people, people kill people... Blah, lets give the terrorists what they need anyways, as blue prints of how to blow up a building doesn't kill people, people kill people...

Sorry, but I think it is very clear by now that, personally, I find all this utterly crap, selfish, selfcentered, and extremely hypocritical...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-18-2007 05:51 AM
High Speed Chaser

Don't mess with the Wambulance!

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
You can always say guns don't kill people, people do. But do we really need automatic weapons sold to citizens? I know in Australia after the Port Arthur Massacre there was a near complete ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and all pump-action shotguns.

Make it harder to get weapons and don't allow such powerful and quick to fire weapons to be sold to citizens. That can be the first step.

EDIT: Just read some of the slack laws they have over there: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21576049-2,00.html

That still did not stop the Monash University shooting.
If I recall the guy in that shooting was also Asian
Monash University Shooting Answers.com

This post was edited on 04-18-2007 at 06:56 AM by High Speed Chaser.
If only I knew what I should put here
04-18-2007 06:55 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Outrageous
quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
quote:
Originally posted by linx05

That still did not stop the Monash University shooting.
If I recall the guy in that shooting was also Asian
Monash University Shooting Answers.com

Does it really matter if a person is asian or not? Anyone could do it,it doesnt really matter what race they are. What i have noticed is that nearly all the people who have shot people at there school have either been picked on,something bad happen in there life, or have had mental problems. The 2 guys at that columbine school who shot people there, were said to have been picked on by many students, (like the football players) becuase they were wierd and wore black and other things. So when they came to the school they start shooting all the athletic people,such as footballs players who gave them crap.
04-18-2007 07:47 AM
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
quote:
Nothing like this would ever happen in Europe
Germany is part of Europe... last that i knew off... :p
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

I thought they did close the school? Or they cancelled lessons or something & told everyone to stay in their rooms with doors/windows closed.
Police and headmsaters (or whatever) are twisting around in every direction to try and justify their (utterly stupid <= personal addition) reaction on it...
hm.... let's see....

I don't think the Police/School Staff had any reason to believe that the initial murders were going to turn into a shooting spree across campus.

I don't blame them for initially treating it like a double homicide.

People really need to stop blaming the police and school officials here. Sometimes blaming people makes us feel better, but much of the time there really is no one to blame. ok, ok.... Only the fucker that started shooting everyone is to blame.

Anyway.... I blame GTA, Doom and all them video games (pacman included) :rolleyes:

This post was edited on 04-18-2007 at 08:33 AM by Omar.
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
04-18-2007 08:32 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Omar
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

hm.... let's see....

I don't think the Police/School Staff had any reason to believe that the initial murders were going to turn into a shooting spree across campus.

I don't blame them for initially treating it like a double homicide.

People really need to stop blaming the police and school officials here. Sometimes blaming people makes us feel better, but much of the time there really is no one to blame. ok, ok.... Only the fucker that started shooting everyone is to blame.
The warnings they gave out by email were done _hours_ later (not like 10 minutes later) and when they finally sends those warnings (by email :dodgy:) the second shooting was _already_ going on for a while.... It is this aspect which makes it so questionable....

It is indeed understandeable that they treated it at first as an isolated homocide, it is not understandable what they did (not) do next.

This post was edited on 04-18-2007 at 01:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-18-2007 01:12 PM
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
How in hell are you expected to lockdown a campus of 26000 students? (Many of which are driving to school with no way to check their e-mail. Campus police aren't exactly the biggest regiments either, how do you expect that many police officers to go through the entire campus, secure each building, and keep the perpetrator away?

Even if they did go through and lockdown the entire campus, if they locked in the gunman (which he actually did himself by chaining the doors shut) then the victims are in danger anyways. People always try to point fingers when something goes wrong.

Things such as video games, or parents, or nobody cared enough to try and prevent it. These are all subconscious means our mind use as principles to make our own understandings of shocking and ming-shaking events.

This isn't meant to cause any stirring-of-the-pot, call anyone out, or annoy/anger anyone in this thread, this is just meant for me to say what I couldn't hold in any longer.

On a more realistic note, why don't we pray (or hope if you have no deity) that these families can get through these events and put our hands and pointing fingers down. MY mother always taught me that when you point a finger, you've got three pointing back at yourself.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
04-18-2007 02:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: