What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Digg?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Digg?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Digg?
Fight for freedom? Freedom of speech? Standing up against big companies? Those are only (mostly) used by immature kiddies who think steeling is cool who have no clue at all.

If you want to do something against copy protections STOP COPYING STUFF IN THE FIRST PLACE.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-03-2007 03:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: Digg?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Fight for freedom? Freedom of speech? Standing up against big companies? Those are only (mostly) used by immature kiddies who think steeling is cool who have no clue at all.

If you want to do something against copy protections STOP COPYING STUFF IN THE FIRST PLACE.

A wise friend once told me that all the laws and rules passed will not stop idiots from existing. You can drop the speed limit to 10, stick traffic lights at every intersection, lower the legal BAC and raise the drinking age, but you will still get people driving like idiots on the road. I think a big part of having a sane government is knowing when more restrictions won't solve the problem.

It's for that reason that I'm glad they broke that AACS DRM. It doesn't bother me in a big way, if there's a decent movie out there it will be on SBS. But DRM needs to be broken publicly and completely, so people know: all the legislation and encryption in the world will not stop the pirate crackers. You've either got to have a secure design, which isn't possible with a portable format, or accept that if you sell a movie people are going to copy it, and then hunt them down and sue them.

Hoping that these idiots stop is a grand outlook, but it's just not going to happen. Unless you've got some sort of genie or something. DRM is not a genie.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-03-2007 04:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Many people copy DVDs for legitimate reasons, such as backing it up so that children can't damage the only copy when using it.

DRM only seems to stop the average user, crackers will always find a way around it so it doesn't really affect them. So the only people put out are average users that are limited by DRM (like users of the iTunes Music Store being unable to put their songs on non-iPod players because of the DRM).

At the end of the day, if it can be seen or heard, it can and will be copied.

This post was edited on 05-03-2007 at 04:30 PM by Dr4g0n.
05-03-2007 04:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
DRM and other similar copy protections came to live only because there were too many illegal copies being seld and put for download, etc. Not because the average Joe made a copy to protect the original.... That's my point.

If people continue to copy stuff to give away, put for download, etc, it is only very normal that the 'industry' will come up with something else because the original authors _do_ loose money over it (despite all hard fairytails and myths floating around (mostly on the net... obviously))...

Then you can again complain 'they' punish the average Joe. Complain to those who make illegal copies instead I'd say.

I'm not mad at all at the 'industry' for having copy protections, even not when I want to make a copy of the original for safe keeping. If I would be mad I would be mad at the people who think copying something from someone else isn't harmfull or isn't stealing money from the original author.

EDIT: "Words aren't cold yet" like they say, and I already came across a thread again on these forums regarding illegal exchange/copying stuff.... That is what I mean...

This post was edited on 05-03-2007 at 10:43 PM by CookieRevised.
05-03-2007 10:38 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
This is more about standing up to the big guy. These companies have done some pretty nasty and wrong things to prevent illegal copies. Lets hope we see more and more of this kind of thing. The small guys standing up to the big guys!
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
05-05-2007 09:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I do not see how trying to protect someone's income/property is wrong.

And it starts with the 'little guys', namely you and me. How many of the people using mIRC actually payed for it for example?

It are those 'little guys' who copy and distribute stuff thinking they do nothing wrong, yet it are those very same 'little guys' who complain when a company is trying todo something against it...

If you want to do something against it or stand up against it, you should start by standing up against your friends and those other 'little guys' who copy stuff, use serialz, warez, cracks, etc.

If you stop copying, using serials, cracks, etc, the 'big companies' wouldn't have any reason to try to prevent illegal distribution...

This post was edited on 05-05-2007 at 10:29 AM by CookieRevised.
05-05-2007 10:26 AM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Oh yeah.. Grow habits ffs.. I buy cds all the time, and guess what, much better audio quality..

It's basicly the same with DVDs. If you can afford a computer, a internet connection, lights etc, you can surely afford a DVD once in a while?

And it's basicly the same for games bla bla bla

Don't forget, this is the internet and we're on a "pretty" global market right now. You may choose from wherever is cheaper to buy your products. Per example, my last purchases were made off the UK.. They give you every choice possible, the best prices, everything, don't screw them with piracy
The world is yours
05-05-2007 10:30 AM
Verte

But Cookie, clearly the Mafiaa aren't trying to stop illegal copying and the like, because they have made it so easy for anyone with some technical know how and some time on their hands to do so. It'd be nice if they did screw the people doing the wrong thing, but they aren't. The question is then, what ARE they doing?
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-05-2007 03:18 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I've always wondered what Digg was about. And the hype actually made me register there and grab the feeds. :P

When I saw the key in PirateBay a few days ago I didn't think it would be soooo chaotic. Woot! I love Internet Dramas.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

05-05-2007 03:46 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Cookie expresses my feelings completely :P.
05-05-2007 04:20 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: