What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Digg?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Digg?
Author: Message:
Verte

RE: RE: Digg?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But, the whole discussion and 'state of mind' that people have isn't about 1 rare copy protection which only is used in Germany. People have something against all copy protections, and I'm very sure that 99,99% of all people complaining don't even know about the details of copy protections or even don't know the different methods. People just complain because they think they have every right to do what they want with the DVD/CD, they complain about copy protections in general, heck on everything which prevents them to make copies of which they do not have a right to make them.

I'm pretty sure some copying is considered fair use, or at least it was, and in that sense can't be illegal. However, in order to invoke fair use, you now need to bypass copy protections, which is illegal. So clearly, the US government has enacted a law to to assure you a right, and then taken it away. Copy protection doesn't solve the problem of piracy in any way, in fact, it will never work. It is simply a violation of a right, presumably, as a toe-in-the-water for further violations. The Right Thing to do would be to simply sue people who violate copyright, but lets face it, considering the MAFIAA's continuous failure to gather any real evidence, I guess lobbying for copyright reform was the easier and cheaper way to go.

You're right on the money [lol] where you mention the rights that people think they get. On a regular DVD box, the DVD logo implies that the media should be viewable on something that conforms to the DVD Video standards. With the next generation optical media disks, weather it works is not just dependent on a standard, but upon licensing. The people who made your HD-DVD player [or maybe, you] need to keep the licensing fees up in order to keep your device keys active. It's a whole new level of extortion. They can't assure you that in purchasing the media and a device, you can view the resulting content, because they can terminate the license and mark your key at any time.

What is most alarming is that there is no independent regulatory body. Well, the AACS are the single body administering everything, but they represent a corporate conglomerate, which is to say, they have a CLEAR conflict of interest. That this did not create problems for Phillips [? CD] is probably a moot point, since Phillips don't have a record [lol, the bad puns just keep rolling].

quote:
It is like that whole "Microsoft sucks" thing. The extremely vast majority of kiddies who say it don't even have a clue why they say it, they just do it because it is considered 'cool'.
The point is that all this yelling upon those companies is in almost all cases not grounded on anything at all and is just a thing from this time...

The vast majority of people who point fingers at Microsoft have no idea what they are talking about, but that does not imply that what they are saying is wrong. This is definitely the misinformation age, and it's harder than ever to fight your way through the drivel of people with their own interests, <OS of choice> zealots and their 1337-points interest included. Unless you're willing to look deeper into allegations and not simply stop when one thing doesn't fit, you're taking the route of apathetic ignorance, and that's not something we should be encouraging.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
05-07-2007 05:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Digg?
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
You're right on the money [lol] where you mention the rights that people think they get. On a regular DVD box, the DVD logo implies that the media should be viewable on something that conforms to the DVD Video standards.
Yes, but unlike many people seem to believe, a PC is not considered a DVD/CD player. A PC is listed under the equipment to copy stuff, hence when it comes down to playing your DVD/CD on a PC that your rights are seriously less than compared to playing it on a standalone player.

--

In our family we have like over 200 DVDs (keeping the CDs aside), comming from all over the world, with all different kinds of copy protections, regions, etc. None have any problems playing on our basic simple DVD player (region free player though*). Some do have problems on a PC since they are not meant to be played on a PC, it is as simple as that. You can complain that they can't be played on the PC, but you would have not much ground on it to back it up as that is simply not in the license... and thus illegal.

*which costed more, because regions are again something to do with licensing, distribution and all that other mambojumbo. You pay more because there are more compensation fees (or whatever it is called) - see one of my previous posts.

--

linx05, that flame you made there is seriously uncalled for I think.

I also don't skim over your post and just hit the reply button. You are talking about a specific copy protection and about playing (read: copying) DVDs via the PC. In regards to the PC see the first paragraph of this post. In regards to the rest, my point is that almost all the people complaining are exactly those who want to make illegal copies.

And the majority of people buying DVDs have also no problems at all playing them. The 'problems' which people yell about (note: coincidence or not, almost all people who are young and are on the net) are their own problem that they can't copy something.

Of course you have the right to complain when it is justified. But in this case, not much is justified, no matter if I, you, or anybody like it or not.

This post was edited on 05-07-2007 at 08:08 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2007 08:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Digg?
When you buy a DVD, you are buying a license to view copyrighted material and a medium to allow you to do so. You do not buy the film itself, only a license to view it. (Hence why public showings of the film are not allowed using your DVD, they're not covered by your license.)

Therefore when you buy a DVD, you in effect enter into a license agreement. The agreement only covers the use of DVD players, not DVD drives in computers; and so a consumer does not have the right to complain about not being able to view it.

Note: This post does not mean I agree with the way DVDs are "sold", I just want to point out the situation.
05-07-2007 08:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: Digg?
quote:
linx05, that flame you made there is seriously uncalled for I think.

I also don't skim over your post and just hit the reply button. You are talking about a specific copy protection and about playing (read: copying) DVDs via the PC.

Of course you have the right to complain when it is justified. But in this case, not much is justified, no matter if I, you, or anybody like it or not.

It's like trying to put a triangular piece into a circular hole with you. It just won't get through. It doesn't matter if I am right anymore. I've finally met someone more stubborn than me. My opinions of you are my opinions :). I'm sure there are a few more on the forum which share that.

This post was edited on 05-10-2007 at 02:47 PM by linx05.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
05-09-2007 02:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Therefore when you buy a DVD, you in effect enter into a license agreement. The agreement only covers the use of DVD players, not DVD drives in computers; and so a consumer does not have the right to complain about not being able to view it.
I have never seen any EULA bundled with a DVD that I have purchased. I never actually agreed to anything and I'm pretty sure there's software to play DVDs on computers for a reason.

This post was edited on 05-09-2007 at 11:46 PM by Underlord.
05-09-2007 11:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
I have never seen any EULA bundled with a DVD that I have purchased. I never actually agreed to anything and I'm pretty sure there's software to play DVDs on computers for a reason.

there doesn't need to be an EULA for them to control how you use the medium. i believe an EULA is only useful to tell people when they can be sued.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.