What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
Author: Message:
angelabrunt

O.P. RE: Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
Hi guys, I really appreciate what you are saying but I have no speaker like the one you are showing and I have done the show all etc and it won't give me the option to delete them. There is nothing there ! and one click opens them up again. Is there some way I can send my screen pic so I can show you the list I have ?? thanks
05-18-2007 09:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Removing Unsuitable Sound Effects, Emoticons ?
quote:
Originally posted by angelabrunt
Hi guys, I really appreciate what you are saying but I have no speaker like the one you are showing and I have done the show all etc and it won't give me the option to delete them. There is nothing there ! and one click opens them up again. Is there some way I can send my screen pic so I can show you the list I have ?? thanks

You can open it, click "PRINT SCREEN" button (on top of delete).. past it on paint and then saving it, then uploading it to the forum as an attachment.

But, have you checked out Duck!'s or my screenshot? I'm sure its there.

For the sounds, just open the Contact List and click PLUS! then "sound library" :)

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 09:35 PM by Rolando.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
05-18-2007 09:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
angelabrunt

Hi q25, my list is underneath this one that you have shown, it is on a completely new line and shows all different things
how can i show you this ?
thanks
05-18-2007 09:35 PM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
But people!!!

If she erases, the child can add then back!!!
So what's the point of doing this??? Mon erases, child adds, mon erases, child adds, mon erases, child adds....
How about my idea (up)???

I'm starting to think that the only ways are: "Free" your mind and let it OR do not allow her to use MSN...
You can try the duck!'s idea (to use a web messenger).
And than you can easily block MSN to be runed on the computer...
05-18-2007 09:36 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Hi q25, my list is underneath this one that you have shown, it is on a completely new line and shows all different things
thanks

Click this (THIS IS A HYPERLINK, click to see a picture!) button on your keyboard, and then click cntrl+v on PAINT (START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > PAINT) and save it. Then  upload it to the forum by using the ATTACHMENT bar when trying to post. (Click browse and look for it!)

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
But people!!!

If she erases, the child can add then back!!!
So what's the point of doing this??? Mon erases, child adds, mon erases, child adds, mon erases, child adds....
How about my idea (up)???

I'm starting to think that the only ways are: "Free" your mind and let it OR do not allow her to use MSN...
You can try the duck!'s idea (to use a web messenger).
And than you can easily block MSN to be runed on the computer...

Maybe she should just talk to her daughter :/

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 09:38 PM by Rolando.
05-18-2007 09:37 PM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Maybe she should just talk to her daughter :/

It's the best advice, in my opinion... (Y)

Edit: Better than my advices too

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 09:42 PM by MicroWay.
05-18-2007 09:39 PM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
There's an obvious reason for the speaker icon not being on the toolbar, they don't even have Messenger Plus! installed! Maybe if you had even bothered to read these two posts by this thread's author properly:
quote:
Thanks for replying so quickly but they are not listed in there. They are seperate ones that are highly animated. Not sure where they came from but they are not listed on the tools menu. They are shown on a seperate line under the original winks etc .
Any ideas ?? thanks
quote:
thanks
Then it should really be obvious that they aren't talking about the WLM emoticons/winks/etc, but those of some other third-party addon (in this case, I assume it's SweetIM).

You can remove SweetIM by going to Start > Control Panel > Add or remove programs > Find SweetIM in the program list > click Remove.

Although as previously mentioned, this is only a temporary solution for the problem. If your daughter has installed SweetIM in the first place, she could just as easily install it again.
For a more permanent solution, you would have to restrict her from being able to install applications. One way you can do this is by only allowing her access to the guest account, which will prevent her from installing it again (I'm sure someone else can provide more details on this ;))

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 10:12 PM by Eljay.
05-18-2007 10:09 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
If Eljay is correct, then I apologize angelabrunt, my unfamiliarity with SweetIM lead me to think it was Plus! custom sounds you were talking about, I didn't even know SweetIM provided sounds.

Eljay's explanation will allow you to remove this add-on.

(To prevent this from happening again, bellow I'll explain how to create an account with limited privileges.

About creating a new account with limited privileges: Go Start > Control Panel > User Accounts

See how many there are there. Is your daughter the only one that uses that computer? Are you aware of different accounts? If not, then that's easy, we'll make one.

First, at the bottom click "administrator" or whatever name the account you're in has. Click "create a password" and create one. Once you're done, click the "Back" button twice. Click "Create new account". Type a name for the account and select "Limited".

----
If you already have more than one account, just create the password for the main account (yours!) and then click the back button twice. Select your daughter's account from the list, and click "Change account type". Click "Limited" and click "Change account type.")

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 10:29 PM by Rolando.
05-18-2007 10:27 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
erm, guys...

Who said anything about Messenger Plus!, speaker icons and such?

It could well be that his daughter has installed stuff like SweetIM or SmileyCentral and/or the likes. So we better wait on a screenshot I think...

EDIT: Hmmm, I didn't refreshed the page before I posted this and this was the last tab open, sorry (/me slaps himselfs... this happens everytime and I still didn't learned it :p). I see Eljay already hit the nail...

-----

Oh, and you can have parent restrictions on a Hotmail account (now named Windows Live Hotmail) btw.

As a parent you can set up child accounts which you could control. For more information see https://account.live.com/HelpCentral.aspx: > select Account management in the dropdown list
> How do I manage my child's permissions
> What happens when I close my child's account
> How do I edit my child's registration information
> etc...
(open the site in Microsoft Internet Explorer for best result)

Though I must say I do not know what this would imply when you use Messenger. I'm afraid it doesn't do much once you're in Messenger itself... If you want to restrict the use of certain content there is nothing much more you can do then joining your kid at the computer...

;)

---

PS: With Microsoft's Windows Live Parental Control (now still in beta) you will be able to control what you're kids are doing. eg: with "contact management" parents can approve contacts on Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Messenger. The feature also gives control over who can access the kids' blogs on Microsoft's Spaces service.

http://microsoft.ninemsn.com.au/protectyourkids.aspx
http://get.live.com/betas/familysafety_betas
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windows...entalcontrols.mspx

some quotes from ninemsn:
quote:
There is no foolproof way to protect your children online – or anywhere else for that matter! As in the real world, there are precautions that families can take in the online world to reduce the chances of children encountering dangerous or unsuitable material.
quote:
Talk with your child often about what they do online and who they talk to. Better yet, join your children as they surf the Internet. Taking an interest in what your child or teen does online doesn’t necessarily mean a lack of trust: just as you’re interested in their “real world” friends, you might want to show an interest in their "net friends".

I hope all this helps a bit in the mean time, or at least gives some hints on what you could do...

;)

This post was edited on 05-18-2007 at 11:02 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-18-2007 10:29 PM
angelabrunt

So Sorry Everyone, I have just removed SweetIM and the rude ones have gone !! thank you all for your help, I didn't realise this was a website for Messenger Plus Live so no wonder we were talking at different levels,

Thanks to all who helped me....
05-18-2007 10:52 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: